Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98k and my 17 Niro floats a bit during spirited driving. I unfortunately carry tools and such often in my Niro and have slowly worn the suspension.
I want an upgraded shock.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had a similar issue in my 2018. I ended up putting the hard rubber spring spacers in the coils in the back. One spacer on each side. The spacers I used are the ones that go inside the coils, like what is used in NASCAR to tighten up the suspension.

I too drove very spiritedly, and typically had around 200 pounds of stuff in the back between my sub, my tools, and my pack. I live close to a major toll road here in Texas that has the highest speed limit in the country, 85 mph. Typically I would set the cruise to 95 mph, and get passed!! Corners were fun in the car too. The Niro rotates REALLY good with the throttle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hahahaha…….

I was quite impressed with the Niro on the Texas Autobahn(another name for the toll road) after the spring spacers we’re installed. It was a little on the floaty side, but manageable and stable even at max speed(108 in normal mode and 114 in sport mode).

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hahahaha…….

I was quite impressed with the Niro on the Texas Autobahn(another name for the toll road) after the spring spacers we’re installed. It was a little on the floaty side, but manageable and stable even at max speed(108 in normal mode and 114 in sport mode).
Wow, I would have figured the only way to get a Niro much above 100mph would be to drop it out of an airplane. It's a great car and I've had it up around 85-90 on the highway but it doesn't exactly encourage you to bury the loud(?) pedal.

• Haha
Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV EX Deep Cerulean Blue
163 Posts
98k and my 17 Niro floats a bit during spirited driving. I unfortunately carry tools and such often in my Niro and have slowly worn the suspension.
I want an upgraded shock.
Any suggestions?
May want to have your suspension looked at. Shock absorbers really just dampen bumps, if they are shot they should be replaced. Stiffer springs or perhaps airbags like AirLift may help the ride of a tool laden vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Niro EV uses different struts, they may be a bit stiffer or stronger because the EV is 500-700lbs heavier then the HEV niro. I would think it would bolt into a normal Niro but can't say for sure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Conclusion:
Not much aftermarket out there for us.
Wasn't worth the experimentation with high end shock universal fits.
I went with OEM shocks (type for 16" wheels although I have 17" wheels), MOOG front and rear sway-bar bushings, and MOOG front and rear stabilizer end links.

On another note, I've have my Niro well over 100 many times...and actually averaged 100 from Memphis to Jackson on one occasion :p
MPG drops to like 32 lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts