Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2018 EX in to have the Homelink rearview mirror installed. As a courtesy, dealer installed two software patches (recalls) while they had the car. One patch SA350 is for battery management. I immediately noticed a significant drop in MPG. A few weeks later I took the car back to have this checked out. Service personnel said that SA350 changes how much the vehicle runs on the gas engine versus battery. That exact language is on the service invoice. Dealer claims they can do nothing to resolve this problem since the software patch came from Kia Corporate. Told me to contact their Consumer Affairs 800-333-4542. Consumer Affairs told me the software patch cannot be backed out and no update is planned. They apologized for the MPG drop and opened a case file. On my last tank of gas, I averaged 39 MPG. I calculate by dividing mileage by number of gallons used since each of the 4 methods of displaying MPG through the vehicle's systems yield different results, some dramatic. 39 MPG is way out of spec for this car. My next step is to file a complaint with Federal and State Consumer Protection offices. I purchased a vehicle rated at 49 combined MPG. Kia was sued because of overstated MPG ratings several years ago for the Soul and other models. Looks like they may be traveling down the same path. Make sure you consult with your dealer's service about recall software patches before they are installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Niro is at the shop right now since 12/31/18 they keep wantyto bullshit me. So I started doing some research and found your post here. I’m curious have you gotten any further with Kia making it right?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Took my 2018 EX in to have the Homelink rearview mirror installed. As a courtesy, dealer installed two software patches (recalls) while they had the car. One patch SA350 is for battery management. I immediately noticed a significant drop in MPG. A few weeks later I took the car back to have this checked out. Service personnel said that SA350 changes how much the vehicle runs on the gas engine versus battery. That exact language is on the service invoice. Dealer claims they can do nothing to resolve this problem since the software patch came from Kia Corporate. Told me to contact their Consumer Affairs 800-333-4542. Consumer Affairs told me the software patch cannot be backed out and no update is planned. They apologized for the MPG drop and opened a case file. On my last tank of gas, I averaged 39 MPG. I calculate by dividing mileage by number of gallons used since each of the 4 methods of displaying MPG through the vehicle's systems yield different results, some dramatic. 39 MPG is way out of spec for this car. My next step is to file a complaint with Federal and State Consumer Protection offices. I purchased a vehicle rated at 49 combined MPG. Kia was sued because of overstated MPG ratings several years ago for the Soul and other models. Looks like they may be traveling down the same path. Make sure you consult with your dealer's service about recall software patches before they are installed.

A few years ago some people reported the same type of problem with their Prius when they had a software update done. I said no don't touch the computer and I'm glad I did. In cases like this when your happy with your car and mpg's I would always tell the dealer even if it's a recall....Don't do it leave it alone. If you have a problem that's a different story.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too noticed what appeared to be a relatively significant drop in fuel economy after the update BUT it was also done at the same time temperatures began plummeting. We ALL know that using the Internal Combustion Engine for cabin heating takes a significant toll on fuel economy and the Niro WILL start that engine in colder temperatures, even if you don't turn on the heating control.

A week ago, we were on a 225 kilometer round trip at -5 degrees Celsius. Our mileage for the trip was 4.9 liters per 100 kilometers. Roads were dry but I have Winter Tires on the Niro now and the heater was on virtually the whole trip. Once the engine has reached full operating temperature, the heater doesn't make a huge difference but it sure does on short winter jaunts. In the summertime, that same 225 km trip would have yielded about 4.6 liters per 100 kilometers.

Since I log ALL fuel receipts into a spreadsheet, I'll truly know come next summer just how much of a hit this software update caused. As I recall the update was done to improve battery management. I'm prepared to take a slight hit in fuel economy to reduce the chances of premature battery failure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The dealer mentioned needing to apply an update to my 2017 Kia Niro when I brought it in last month. This thread was the first thing I found, and the potential hit to fuel economy worried and surprised me.

One tank of fuel later, it does not seem to have made much difference. Let's try to eliminate weather as a factor, at least as much as possible. Today, my average MPG for the tank of fuel was 56.39 MPG. Last year at this time I got 56.4 MPG and 60.92 MPG. Two years ago at this time I got 59.97 .

I haven't applied any kind of formal statistical analysis, but we're talking less than 10% difference between highest and lowest here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts