Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

Welcome Spring season. I have combed through the Kia Niro Hybrid 2019 specifications (from the media site) in detail a couple of times, and in my understanding:

1) The LX trim does not offer:

Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)

even with the LX Advanced Technology package?

If I am understanding correctly, the only way to get those features (via Kia, not aftermarket) is to get the EX trim or higher?

Additionally, if I understand the specifications correctly, both the LX and EX trim have full LED exterior lights? e.g. headlights (high and low beam), daytime running lights, rear stop lights, etc.

Thank you
James

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't believe my headlights are completely led. Otherwise, my 2019 EX fits your description exactly. I got the Advanced Technology package and absolutely love the smart cruise control. I have been driving it for four months and still love it.

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
if I understand the specifications correctly, both the LX and EX trim have full LED exterior lights? e.g. headlights (high and low beam), daytime running lights, rear stop lights, etc.
Hi James, please be carefull with the specs.. on the 2019 HEV (hybrid) model, there are no LED headlights for low and hi beam..The rest of the exterior lights, yes (except the fog lights).. BUT, the only way to get those LED headlights, is on only on the EX Premium PHEV and EV trim and model.

Reactions: TK6

·
Registered
744 Posts
...The rest of the exterior lights, yes (except the fog lights).. BUT, the only way to get those LED headlights, is on only on the EX Premium PHEV and EV trim and model.
In addition, even on the EX Premium PHEV the rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. It's weird how some are and some aren't. I'm thinking about swapping them out someday. I know someone on here swapped the reverse lights to LEDs for more brightness.

·
Super Moderator
588 Posts
In addition, even on the EX Premium PHEV the rear turn signals and reverse lights are regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs.
My bad, forgot those one! :|

·
Registered
348 Posts
What about the rear brake & taillights? I've been behind several Niros at stoplight and the tails & brake lights are blindingly bright!!! Seems like they must be LEDs

·
Registered
744 Posts
What about the rear brake & taillights? I've been behind several Niros at stoplight and the tails & brake lights are blindingly bright!!! Seems like they must be LEDs
Yep, those are LEDs. As far as I know aside from the headlights, which vary by model, the only exterior lights that are not LED are the fogs, the rear turn signals, and the reverse lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good evening,

Just to clarify, I am looking at the Kia Niro Hybrid vehicle, i.e. the one that runs on battery and gas.

So, if I understand right, the Kia Niro Hybrid LX trim, even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the LX trim does.

and

If I go with the EX advanced technology package, then I get the forward collision warning, braking with pedestrian detection etc. but ONLY PARTIAL led front and rear lights?

Thank you
James

·
Registered
26 Posts
Good evening,

Just to clarify, I am looking at the Kia Niro Hybrid vehicle, i.e. the one that runs on battery and gas.

So, if I understand right, the Kia Niro Hybrid LX trim, even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD)
Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the LX trim does.

and

If I go with the EX advanced technology package, then I get the forward collision warning, braking with pedestrian detection etc. but ONLY PARTIAL led front and rear lights?

Thank you
James
I think you meant to say (as you did earlier) that the LX even with the Advanced technology package does not offer Blind Spot Detection System (BSD) Lane Change Assist (LCA), Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA), only the ***EX*** trim does.

I really wanted the BSD and was a bit annoyed that I couldn't get an LX that way. I ended up spending the extra dough for an EX w/advanced tech, which including some more features I wasn't going after (Toyota does better with making safety features avail across full lines). And no one local had the EX in the color I wanted (the blue seems to be mostly an LX thing). So mine came from 200+ miles away. Def enjoying it so far.

The headlights are not LED. I may eventually change the headlights to LED on my own, but an initial look makes it seem like the reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs for some reason. Maybe the car makers or Feds stepped in.

Drew

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The headlights are not LED. I may eventually change the headlights to LED on my own, but an initial look makes it seem like the reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs for some reason. Maybe the car makers or Feds stepped in.

Drew[/QUOTE]

Hello @Drewsel I appreciate your comments, thank you.

I am unclear about your comment about 'reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs', does that mean that LED lights from the Niro are not available from major brands such as Philips, Sylvania and other OEM or comparable brands?

Thank you
James

·
Super Moderator
549 Posts
I don't think it is just a bulb that is different between the LED main headlights and a Halogen. The comment is likely that the major manufacturers are not selling LED retrofit type bulbs that you can use to modify your Halogen main headlights to LED. There are different considerations for LED that Halogen does not have. One of them is adiquate cooling for the diodes inside. A halogen bulb can run hotter but is also far more resiliant to the heat that it produces. Were an LED bulb does run cooler in the enegy given off is converted more efficiantly into a visible light rather than heat but the whole system degrades very fast if it runs too hot for too long.

Major manufacturers know that heat is a problem and they don't want to be liable for too many bulbs failing too fast from overheating becuase the design of the bulb housing can trap the heat and cause the bult to fail too soon. Think about the bulb that fits the Kia is also used in how many other vehicles that each have their own housing lens design that might be far worse for heat than what is in the Niro. You can't stop consumers from using a bulb if it fits.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Drew
Hello @Drewsel I appreciate your comments, thank you.

I am unclear about your comment about 'reputable companies have stopped selling bulbs', does that mean that LED lights from the Niro are not available from major brands such as Philips, Sylvania and other OEM or comparable brands?

Thank you

James[/QUOTE]

Yes, in my limiting searching, nothing from Philips, Sylvania. But also see Roadkill401's comment about the reason why. I was looking to just switch the bulb in the projector system, but reading other threads, it seems that maybe OEM LEDs have a completely diff assembly and housing, which is a more expensive undertaking that I'll probably skip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts