Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having problems with the blind spot detection on the right not working always but left side works. If so was it repaired and what did they do? They changed a detection module for the right but did not fix it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having problems with the blind spot detection on the right not working always but left side works. If so was it repaired and what did they do? They changed a detection module for the right but did not fix it.
Wife has had several incidents/ near collision with another car approaching from rt. side. I figured it was a design flaw. Now I will consult with the dealer service shop and ask how to test the function. I will inquire if a recall is proposed for this problem

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've noticed both sides occasionally fail to detect a vehicle but haven't been able to find a common factor. A bit of internet sleuthing indicates that the sensors are ultrasonic and so are likely susceptible to the same degrading factors that apply to the front and rear parking sensors. Dirty sensors, weather and other things could hamper performance. Also, I think the sensors are only looking in a narrow angle and so if a car is either closer to or farther away from the side of the car it may affect the ability of the system to detect them.

As this is the first car I've had that came equipped with blind spot detection I've never really gotten into the habit of relying on it. I've got my mirrors adjusted to basically eliminate blind spots so for me the sensors really just serve to alert me to a car next to me when I'm not actually trying to change lanes which can be useful in traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wife has had several incidents/ near collision with another car approaching from rt. side. I figured it was a design flaw. Now I will consult with the dealer service shop and ask how to test the function. I will inquire if a recall is proposed for this problem
Mine goes back in on Monday (December 23rd) again to the dealer to see if they can find the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've noticed both sides occasionally fail to detect a vehicle but haven't been able to find a common factor. A bit of internet sleuthing indicates that the sensors are ultrasonic and so are likely susceptible to the same degrading factors that apply to the front and rear parking sensors. Dirty sensors, weather and other things could hamper performance. Also, I think the sensors are only looking in a narrow angle and so if a car is either closer to or farther away from the side of the car it may affect the ability of the system to detect them.

As this is the first car I've had that came equipped with blind spot detection I've never really gotten into the habit of relying on it. I've got my mirrors adjusted to basically eliminate blind spots so for me the sensors really just serve to alert me to a car next to me when I'm not actually trying to change lanes which can be useful in traffic.
My left side works perfect and detects everytime a vehicle that is coming along side of me. It detects even when a vehicle is far over to the left lane that another vehicle could squeeze between us. Not only does it detect your blind spot but it can prevent an accident. Example is that I was going down an expressway that had 3 lanes and my vehicle suddenly veered to the right on me and that is when I noticed another vehicle came over onto my left side of the lane. If it is not detecting all the time I would have this checked out but aluminum trailers/etc it will not pick up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine goes back in on Monday (December 23rd) again to the dealer to see if they can find the problem.
It went back in and did not find the problem. They said the issue has been forward to Kia about the issue and what the service garage has all done. Hopefully they will come back and give them different options to make it work. Will keep everyone informed on this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just doing an update on what is happening with my blind spot not working. Kia head office techs are still trying to figure out what is going on with my right blind spot not working all the time. It has been in a few times to try different things but still not working the way it is supposed to. Service manager is guaranteeing they will get it solved so will keep everyone posted on future results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While you are waiting for a fix, there is a new way to adjust mirrors that virtually eliminates side blind spots.
Thanks Beth. I did hear about this at a mandatory driving course approximately 20 years ago. Our workplace put this course on and the instructor had mentioned this procedure. It is good being on video so I posted this on facebook. Thanks again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay here is the latest on my passenger blind spot side not always detecting vehicles. Kia head office is still sending info for the service department to try with still no luck on fixing it. Now they are asking me questions like was I ever in an accident, have you installed any electronic devices which was no to all there questions. After these questions I asked them that when you find my blind spot problem are you then going to fix the 2020 Forte car loaner you gave me to drive because it does the exact same thing as my 2018 Niro does. Sounds like a Kia problem to me and not just my vehicle. Now they are really scratching there heads.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmmm I have 2018 Niro HEV EX with premium package and I haven't noticed a problem with my right side.
BUT I think there were few times where the rear crossing already didn't work, I can't remember if it's from right or left but maybe it's the same issue.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
196 Posts
There are certain conditions where these devices will not work, the manual list these circumstances.

It is good to keep in mind these features are only meant to assist the driver, they should never take the place of the driver safely checking his mirrors and turning his head.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Since your Niro and your loaner car exhibit the same exact behavior, maybe its normal for KIA.
Any vehicle greater than 10 mph slower than you does not set off the blind spot light. Is that what you are noticing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are certain conditions where these devices will not work, the manual list these circumstances.

It is good to keep in mind these features are only meant to assist the driver, they should never take the place of the driver safely checking his mirrors and turning his head.
I hear what you are saying and trust me I do use my mirrors and look all the time also. When you pay for something though and the driver side works all the time and the passenger 50% of the time and I feel it works with other safety features it should be working. For an example I was driving on 3 lane expressway and was in the middle lane passing other cars when my vehicle veered off to the right. Looking around I noticed another vehicle on the driver side in my lane in my blind spot. Because my car also has the automonous cruise control I feel that between having this and the blind spot that they worked together preventing a collision in this incident. (If this would have been the passenger side and it did not detect a vehicle I likely would have been in a accident). Most important my better half really likes this car and ALL its features so if one part of a feature does not work the way it was designed then it should be fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since your Niro and your loaner car exhibit the same exact behavior, maybe its normal for KIA.
Any vehicle greater than 10 mph slower than you does not set off the blind spot light. Is that what you are noticing?
It is at highway speeds. As far as I am concerned if you pay for a feature it should work. It is like headlights and if the left one works all the time and the right 50% is this normal for a KIA or would you get it repaired? Just saying?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear what you are saying and trust me I do use my mirrors and look all the time also. When you pay for something though and the driver side works all the time and the passenger 50% of the time and I feel it works with other safety features it should be working. For an example I was driving on 3 lane expressway and was in the middle lane passing other cars when my vehicle veered off to the right. Looking around I noticed another vehicle on the driver side in my lane in my blind spot. Because my car also has the automonous cruise control I feel that between having this and the blind spot that they worked together preventing a collision in this incident. (If this would have been the passenger side and it did not detect a vehicle I likely would have been in a accident). Most important my better half really likes this car and ALL its features so if one part of a feature does not work the way it was designed then it should be fixed.
Sorry but it might be the lane assist feature that worked with the blind spot I listed above.

·
Registered
394 Posts
It is at highway speeds. As far as I am concerned if you pay for a feature it should work. It is like headlights and if the left one works all the time and the right 50% is this normal for a KIA or would you get it repaired? Just saying?
Apples to bananas...If you are going more than 10 mph faster than the vehicle next to you, the system does not need to notify you that there is something next to you because you will have cleared it by the time the alarm would come on.
Would you then complain that the system is too sensitive and doesn't allow you to change lanes?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts