Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

14K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  FlNiro 
I had a 2017 Kia Nero. In March of 2020 it blew a head gasket. At the time the car had 189,000 miles on it.

The cost of the repair was $4500 or for $5000 I could get a new engine. I opted for the new engine.

October 31, 2020, at 40,000 miles it blew the head gasket again.

I was told I have a better chance of winning powerball then blowing 2 head gaskets in 8 months.

Has anyone else had a head gasket issue with their Nero?
Really you solved the consequence (the damage) but the mechanics didn't identify the real cause, then changed the engine but they didn't changed the parts involved in the thermal control of the engine.
In the future you should verify apart the cooler fluid of the engine the following parts:
  • Engine water pump if is working ok, if it is not clear change it by a brand new pump
  • The water valve that manage the hot water from the water heather mounted in the exhaust pipe
  • The water thermostat that control the flow of water through the water radiator.
A question. The water radiator are ok, or it is jammed?
regards
Willyam

Interesting read.
Gonna follow
I have a '17 Niro with 84k.
Started drinking coolant in February. Dealer runaround.
Hello,

My sincerely opinion is to do an inspection of the water hoses. (!!!!!WITH THE ENGINE TOTALLY COLD IN ORDER TO BE SAFE AND PREVENT ANY BURNING!!!!!). Using a small mirror and one flashlight start to inspect the cooling system looking for some small leaks of coolant in the parts of the hoses that are nearest of the clamps that press them with the intake pipes. The coolant when start to leak, after the engine is hot, the temperature dry the coolant let in the hose a footprint as a white powder. You can indicate to your mechanic the change of the water hoses and the clamps.
This inspection of the exterior parts of the water radiator is important too. If the water radiator was not hit by a small stone of the road, then is important to inspect the junction between the side black plastic pipes with the aluminum cooling panel that is in the center.
Normally in those cases when the car has 5 years old I prefer ask to the mechanic to change the set of water hoses including the clamps and inspect the thermostat. Is better expend only one time instead to had the headache frequently.
Regards
Wilfredo