Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

BLOWN HEAD GASKET

14K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  FlNiro 
I believe it was a short block engine. I also have the Niro hybrid. It was a labour intensive job because they had to remove the engine from the car to flip it upright to get to the heads. I am not a mechanic so I don't know if they screwed me or not
A short block doesn't have a new head. I would not have wanted the old head on it myself.

I'm having a major problem with your 2 posts. While I understand your choice to go with new vs repair old engine, I would be surprised if you could get a new complete engine installed for $5000. Did you just get a new short block with the old cylinder head? A new head gasket and labour should not cost $4500. If you did not get a complete new engine, block and cylinder head then I could see an underlying issue causing the head gasket to blow again. These engines are not known for head gasket issues or major engine issues in general.
I think it might be possible for a reman engine. We just had a Ford V-10 replaced new (reman) in an F-350 for a touch over $10000. As I recall, the engine itself was about $7500, and that was a complete engine except for the accessories (no alternator or A/C compressor). It had everything else for that price, and it came straight from Ford. I could see this engine being about $3500 and another $1500 in labor. It's a lot of work to replace an engine in newer cars.

Yeah, not much of a description. But that does seem it should be a complete engine less accessories. I'm not going to second guess the $5000 installed price, as some cars are extremely difficult to remove/replace the engine. Labor adds up. Plus that $1626 is a sale price that might not have been available at the time.

But shouldn't there be some warning light or check engine light that goes off when it gets below min?
No, there's no fluid level warning for the coolant. very few cars monitor much of any fluid levels. I believe there are some that watch brake fluid level and sometimes engine oil level. But mostly it's up to the driver to check levels on occasion.