Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So call me Old Fashion.....I am annoyed that Kia took away the ability to receive Text messages via Bluetooth. For me, I just want to know on my info screen a text message is received, and, either have it displayed or select Text to Speech. Kia, at least in the Niro, moved the ability to know Text messages are received to the Android Auto App. I know, now you are alerted when text messages are rec'd, you can speak a reply.....basically have an ongoing Text conversation without taking your attention off driving, or maybe! I don't cherish plugging my phone into the USB Port each time I get into the Car....I have just liked getting into my prior cars, Bluetooth connects.....no need to connect a cable, and if a new text is received, the screen alerts you and you can have it read to you. The Bluetooth connection lets me make/receive calls, stream Music, and other things, but will not handle Text messages unless I plug the phone into the USB port.....Bummer for Mr Old fashion....me.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Bluetooth is certainly not old fashioned, plugging in is much older. Personally, I like the extra charge (no new fangled wireless charging for me).

Your phone can alert you to texts and can read them to you if you cannot or won't plug in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with Telerisk18 in that the Niro took a step back by not supporting Bluetooth reading of messages without Android Auto. I had this feature on my past 3 vehicles and got used to it. I do not want to plug my phone into the USB port every time I drive. I have a USB stick in that port which is where I have my own music files and not keep them on the phone.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I totally agree with the opinions above which lament the loss of BT text ability, this is one of the reasons I cannot see keeping my Niro past the initial 3/36000 warranty point. Not willing to risk a $1600 loss if this foolishly designed proprietary stereo dies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is totally a step backwards in infotainment in 2018. I have had my Niro for three weeks and not having the infotainment unit alert you of a text message has been a struggle to adjust. Already made it home more than once and had to go back out because I missed messages. They should have just eliminated bluetooth altogether if they want you to use Apple/Android via USB to be able to have a text alert. Very disappointed and in 2018 with all of the technology packed into this vehicle they fell flat on their faces with this one. At a minimum there should be an option to turn this feature on if the user desires.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I had this feature on my past 3 vehicles and got used to it. I do not want to plug my phone into the USB port every time I drive. I have a USB stick in that port which is where I have my own music files and not keep them on the phone.

Was the 3 last car a Kia model ? Did the old UVO radio system had this feature ? Never seen this before. :(

·
Super Moderator
520 Posts
I had this with my Ford Edge. It was a microsoft entertainment system so it didn't work half the time, but bluetooth was one of those bits that actually did work. It was rather good to get that ping and it would even read it out to you.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
CarPlay has Bluetooth capabilities in the latest OS so I assume it will also be available in AA soon. But you will also need a new car that is compatible. Why is plugging into USB so darned difficult? Especially if you really need text alerts? You can also keep your phone in your pocket where a vibrating alert allows you to peek at your handset. You can still do a voice reply for better safety if you must reply while driving.

·
Registered
21 Posts
CarPlay has Bluetooth capabilities in the latest OS so I assume it will also be available in AA soon. But you will also need a new car that is compatible. Why is plugging into USB so darned difficult? Especially if you really need text alerts? You can also keep your phone in your pocket where a vibrating alert allows you to peek at your handset. You can still do a voice reply for better safety if you must reply while driving.
Because, as NiroSoNJ, stated, sometimes the USB port is being used. And why is it so darn difficult for Kia not to incorporate this old technology? I agree, plugging the phone in each time is a pain when Bluetooth is available.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gonna Re-surface this one for 2019......

Anyone that purchased the 2019 Kia Niro...did Kia make any changes with Bluetooth.....my gripe with the 2018....unable to get Text Messages on Car's display unless I have Android Auto connected....which I feel is a hassle having to plug and Unplug my Phone if I use Android Auto. My past vehicles going back to 2014...other brand of vehicle; those cars used Bluetooth and displayed Text Messages, both even spoke the messages.

The other gripe; oncoming Phone calls, (Bluetooth)...instead of Vehicle sound thru speaker ringing like a normal phone some silly music plays and you have no way to change that sound.....

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The idea is that it is safer not reading or typing texts. You may not find a new care that allows it at all as they could be liable in an accident. Plug phone in and AA should read the texts to you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is also the way it performed in my 2014 and 2016 vehicles connected via Bluetooth, you could have the Text read out loud....if you were moving and tried to display, it would not unless the vehicle was at a complete stop and veh was in Park. So the prior vehicles worked the same way as AA....without the need to plug in and out....AA however allows you to speak a reply....

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Gonna Re-surface this one for 2019......

Anyone that purchased the 2019 Kia Niro...did Kia make any changes with Bluetooth.....my gripe with the 2018....unable to get Text Messages on Car's display unless I have Android Auto connected....which I feel is a hassle having to plug and Unplug my Phone if I use Android Auto. My past vehicles going back to 2014...other brand of vehicle; those cars used Bluetooth and displayed Text Messages, both even spoke the messages.
I haven't had mine long enough to know what happens with a text message. I haven't received one yet while driving. The Subaru that I just traded in would read my text messages to me, the same way Siri does if I'm using Car Play. I'm using my job-issued iPhone 6S, but I do have an Galaxy S8. I just don't carry it since I have to have the work phone available.

I did notice that in my Bluetooth settings on my phone that "Enable Notifications" is an available option under the Kia connection, same as I had on the Subaru. In theory that should mean the car can read them to me. I'll try to remember to ask my wife to text me while driving home and see what happens.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Bluetooth gives you only Phone...at least that is the way it is in my 2018 Niro EX. The music that plays when a call is incoming...well...its strange. I would prefer just a normal Ring Tone not a Musical Tune. One other reason I don't like using Android Auto besides plugging it in and out...is, the Plug on the phones can be damaged over time....I even went with Wireless charging to avoid using the Plug......

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Well, it appears the 2019 version offers text messages via Bluetooth. I had one pop on my screen just as I was plugging my phone into the USB port, so I ended up responding via Siri. I'll try again today when I go home to test that more closely. Had to make an emergency run to the hospital for a family member, so I couldn't wait to test the Kia interface for the message.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Well, it appears the 2019 version offers text messages via Bluetooth. I had one pop on my screen just as I was plugging my phone into the USB port, so I ended up responding via Siri. I'll try again today when I go home to test that more closely. Had to make an emergency run to the hospital for a family member, so I couldn't wait to test the Kia interface for the message.
I have now received numerous text messages via the Kia interface, not using Car Play at all. The reading accuracy seems quite good. Of course, to reply I have to use Siri, as it doesn't appear the Kia supports sending text messages via voice.

·
Super Moderator
542 Posts
I have now received numerous text messages via the Kia interface, not using Car Play at all. The reading accuracy seems quite good. Of course, to reply I have to use Siri, as it doesn't appear the Kia supports sending text messages via voice.
Same thing with me! works #1. it can display the message and can make the system read them with voice. ;)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Android Auto supports voice reply to texts. Obviously you have to plug the phone in to make this work but it does and is pretty accurate.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Android Auto supports voice reply to texts. Obviously you have to plug the phone in to make this work but it does and is pretty accurate.
iOS does as well, and you don't have to plug the phone in. My guess is Android will do the same. Just press and hold the voice button on the steering wheel, and you bypass the car's voice system and connect to the phone's voice system, Siri on an iPhone. Then you use it as you would if using the phone in your hand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my 19 at the end of Nov 18 and I am in this thread trying to figure out how to get my texts so, no, it still won't work. I will try through the totally (so far) unnecessary AA, since California doesn't want me t touch the phone behind the wheel. Still love the car, though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts