Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one had been on the dealer lot since December, so I made them a deal we could both live with. I'm selling my Genesis G80 which is just too big for my garage now. Our new neighborhood is 6 miles away from the nearest anything, so the plug-in range is good for a couple of trips. I made a trip to Bucees this morning and used 23% of the battery to go 11 miles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
This one had been on the dealer lot since December, so I made them a deal we could both live with. I'm selling my Genesis G80 which is just too big for my garage now. Our new neighborhood is 6 miles away from the nearest anything, so the plug-in range is good for a couple of trips. I made a trip to Bucees this morning and used 23% of the battery to go 11 miles.
Welcome to the forum!

If you install a 16 amp EVSE, you can fill it back up from that trip in less than an hour and you have a full battery again. I can drive over 50 miles in a day all electric as long as each trip is within my range and I charge it back up in between. You don't need a $600+ EVSE for the PHEV, because it can't charge at any higher rate than 16 amps. I bought my first one on Amazon for under $200, and wired it myself since I had an unused breaker after I got rid of my ancient hot tub. If you can't install the power outlet yourself, then you'll have to pay an electrician to do it. But again a circuit for a 16 amp EVSE only needs to be rated for 20 amps, so it wouldn't cost as much as a higher powered circuit, and most homes have space/capacity for that low of amperage of a circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing the plugs are all standard now? I was thinking of wiring up a 220V plug in my garage. Because the house in new I have to use certain contractors to not void the warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
It's possible to get more than one version of plug, so no there really isn't a standard yet. This example: https://www.amazon.com/Megear-100-240V-Portable-Electric-Charging/dp/B075GJK2S9/ has a NEMA6-20 Plug, which is probably the most common one. It also comes with a NEMA 5-15 adapter, but it would be silly to buy one of these and only use it on 120v, since the one with your car (and mine) does that just fine, although limited to 12 amps at 120v. The NEMA 14-50 plug is mostly standard on higher powered EVSEs, but as I mentioned your car will only charge at 16 amps, so unless you see a full EV in your near future you don't need the extra expense.

I have a Juicebox Pro 40, but only because my utility company offered me one for free. So if I get an EV before I move from this house I'm all set. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
unless you're dying to spend some money I would stick with the 120v 12a stock ever for a while. You can completely recharge overnight and you may find you rarely drive more than 30miles in a day.

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
I would agree if someone rarely drives more than 25-30 miles in a day. I think most people are a bit closer to 50 miles, but that's naturally going to differ for each person. And if you are OK with using a bit of gas each day, there's certainly no need to pay $500+ to buy and install a Level 2 EVSE. But if someone wants to maximize their driving in EV mode, having the faster charging makes quite a bit of difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's this I hear about slow charging being harder on the battery? I hear a lot about charging at high temperatures being bad, and I would think rapid charging would create even more heat.

Here in TX my garage is about 88-92 degrees day and night during the summer. Wouldn't it be bad to charge overnight when it is that hot?

·
Super Moderator
1,589 Posts
Heat isn't the issue with 120v charging. I've never seen a definitive answer to it, but Kia does state in the manual that it's not the preferred charging method. I forget the exact wording the manual uses, but it's heavily implying the 120v EVSE is not for general, every-day use. It's possible that it doesn't supply a high enough level of current for long battery life. It also might have something to do with maintaining a balance between the separate cells in the battery. That's only a guess on my part. Might be something different, and it might not hurt the battery at all. I just can't find a solid answer on that.

For EVs, they recommend not charging beyond 80% on a DC fast charger, and temp is one reason. The other is that the charge rate tapers off drastically after 80%, so the time spent at the charging station is not worth the amount of charge received. But I can find no such restriction when using a Level 2 EVSE, either at home or using a commercial station. In fact, I've seen recommendations that EVs should be charged to 100% at least once a month for longest battery life.

With our PHEVs, we can't use DCFC, so that isn't an issue. And there's also no way to limit the total amount of charge the battery can receive, so Kia appears to not be concerned with constantly charging our batteries to 100%.

As to charging in your garage at night, that won't be a problem. Even using a Level 2 EVSE, it's not generating that much heat within the battery itself. It's only when using DCFC that heat becomes a factor in charging.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
299 Posts
We live in the Southeast US and in the summer it gets quite hot here. I plug in our PHEV whenever it isn't being driven, no matter what the weather conditions or temperatures. If our PHEV isn't being driven it is always plugged in.

Our garage temperature is in excess of 100 degrees in the summer.

Our Niro PHEV is a 2019 EX. It has 29,640 miles on it. We are able to average around 30 miles EV on every full charge up in this time our year (spring). Same as when we bought it new.

For us we take no care what so ever in plugging our vehicle in. If it isn't being driven it is plugged in no matter what the conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts