Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another day another issue. Or rather one that's been around for a while.

Problem originally started at 15k miles on my 18 niro phev lx and I am now on 37k. With car completely off i get a squishing noise when depressing the brake pedal. Best way to describe the sounds is as though there is an air exchange/hissing/squishing noise coming from behind the brake pedal. It wouldn't always act up like this in the early days, but a couple of years later it's gotten progressively worse where you can now replicate it at will. The issue also occurs at low speeds <~20mph when I am in motion. I've yet to experience the brake squish at fast speeds.

I took this in one time while getting my charger replaced and dealer claimed they bled out the air in the brake line. But iam skeptical they actually did that since the problem came back 2 weeks later and I only noticed later that the post service paperwork had no mention of them doing that exact procedure. Perhaps either a coincidental 2 week period of no sounds, or the TSB air bleed did jack squat long-term.

Anyone else experiencing this exact issue? I've done research and it seem this could be a known problem with no true fix. I think this is the TSB in question mentioned earlier: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10164294-0001.pdf

Here is a video of the sound:

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
170 Posts
I think you have done a good job with your research.
I agree with your skepticism and if they actually did bleed the air, it was probably done in the wrong sequence.
Show them the TSB, so they know that you are not going to be fooled and make it very clear that you want the procedure done correctly. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Can't think of the right word, but there is some kind of blending device to share slowing duties appropriately between regen and brakes. I've seen reports of this "issue" before and Hyundai/Kia usually says the sound is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts