Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
Are you coming to a complete stop before shifting from R to D? If not, that can cause issues.

For the video you could just include a link in your text. You need a certain number of posts before you can post attachments but a text link should work.

For the record, I've had my PHEV for almost 2 years and have had no issues thus far.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, you must use the brake and come to a complete stop when backing up. I've done it a couple time, when you back up and the car is barely rolling, you still must come to a stop before shifting into Drive. Also, when stopping at a stop sign, even if you do come to a complete stop, taking off again can be "jerky" if you give it too much throttle. I believe this has to do with the DCT and gear selection/pre-selection. There is a hesitation as the computer realizes you want more acceleration, and shifts down to a lower gear.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
There is a hill hold feature that might be at fault here. It activates with a strong push on the pedal. Stopping with a light touch, or releasing the pedal at a stop and then a light touch on the brakes to stop creep does not activate hill hold. This is just for diagnostic purposes, what you are describing appears to be a fault.

Another possibility could be if your car is equipped with electric brakes. Pretty sure that is not on 2019 models, but if you have a 2020 model, possible. Electric "parking" brakes are required for full stop/start cruise control on any car and if so equipped could also be at fault for not releasing until you have forced the car to move causing a jerk.

The dealer is completely wrong here for failing to attempt to confirm issue and doing some basic problem solving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point I am trying to replicate the problem so I can show the dealer. I've tried both coming to a complete stop and changing gear from R to D when it's still 'rolling'. There is no consistency in when the awkward jerky noise happens. The closest I've come to replicating it is when I'm holding the brake for a bit at a full stop (think at a stop sign turning into an intersection), then i quickly let go and hit the gas - the car jerks loudly.

The hill hold comment is interesting, I thought it was that at first then realized my car does not have it. Also, it has a manual brake.

here's a link to the video

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
As far as I know, hill hold is a feature on all Niros. If this only happens after a stop, brakes would be the chief suspect regardless.

·
Registered
412 Posts
At this point I am trying to replicate the problem so I can show the dealer. I've tried both coming to a complete stop and changing gear from R to D when it's still 'rolling'. There is no consistency in when the awkward jerky noise happens. The closest I've come to replicating it is when I'm holding the brake for a bit at a full stop (think at a stop sign turning into an intersection), then i quickly let go and hit the gas - the car jerks loudly.

The hill hold comment is interesting, I thought it was that at first then realized my car does not have it. Also, it has a manual brake.

here's a link to the video
I tried to watch your video but it looks like it's restricted. I think you can tell Google Drive to let anyone have access to it but it's not the default.

You mention a loud noise when it happens, is there a vibration or lurch associated with it? My Niro will make a grumbling noise pulling away from a stop sometimes. Sounds like the suspension unloading or perhaps the brakes dragging slightly. I don't feel anything, it's just a grinding noise. I've gotten used to it over time and just ignore it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this link should work.

It's a noise with a forward jerk. When the car doesn't make the noise it runs fine. Brakes work and no other noises whatsoever.

Interesting comment on the hill assist. If my Nero has it then that could be the problem - it's malfunctioning and not activating when needed and activating when not (causing the jerk)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hill assist is always activated on a firm stop. If you come to such a full stop and immediately try to take off, there will be a pause and that can be perceived as a jerk on takeoff. Normal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I bought a 2019 Niro PHEV 2 weeks ago and I'm having the same issue. The first time it happened was quite pronounced and surprising - wow, what was that? Since then, it has been infrequent and much less severe. Given the theories of cause by other posters, I'll try to recreate the issue, and report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after a week of back and forth I FINALLY got an update from Kia. they managed to replicate the problem and are looking into it. they suspect it's a transmission problem but admit they have not seen it before.

@PNWJane - yes, that's exactly how it started with me.then it gets worse. I recommend you contact customer service right away because it takes them about 4-5 days to assign an escalation case manager. Take it to the dealer and have them try and replicate it. they should contact Kia of Portland Service department and talk to Chris McNight.

·
Registered
412 Posts
after a week of back and forth I FINALLY got an update from Kia. they managed to replicate the problem and are looking into it. they suspect it's a transmission problem but admit they have not seen it before.

@PNWJane - yes, that's exactly how it started with me.then it gets worse. I recommend you contact customer service right away because it takes them about 4-5 days to assign an escalation case manager. Take it to the dealer and have them try and replicate it. they should contact Kia of Portland Service department and talk to Chris McNight.
Glad you're finally making progress with the issue. There's nothing worse than an intermittent problem. Invariably, they completely fail to show up when you are actively looking for them. Hopefully, now that Kia knows there is a problem they'll be able to find the solution.

For the record, my money is still on a sticky / grabby clutch. If Kia confirms it's in the tranny they'll likely just swap it out rather than tear into it to repair the problem so we may never know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My partner got a 2019 PHEV a few weeks ago and we have also noticed the occasional jerk when accelerating from a full stop. The first time it was fairly loud, although not as loud as the OPs video, but it has happened again afterwards to a lesser extent.

@vsciar, if you have a particular case # with Kia customer service, feel free to post it or PM it so that we can call in and note the same issue is affecting us as well. With the holidays may be a bit busy, but may take it to a dealer within the next week or two especially if it gets worse.

FWIW, we are based out of New England, not sure if climate is a factor but the weather here has been 'cold'... at most mid 40s but was around maybe mid 30s to low 40s when we noticed it at first.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Considering how many owners make vague complaints online about jerking, it is interesting that finally Kia has a case that apparently is unique (or at least not normal). I'd love to know how they replicated it and what they think is the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the case number I have is: 13444256. Not sure if it's a customer service case number or Kia parts & service case number. Yes, please report it to Kia so that they realize it's not a one-off and try to patch up the issue with a quick fix (after this incident I have lost all trust in Kia). The more they hear about it the more seriously they will take on the issue.

No updates from Kia yet on what the problem is. As soon as I hear i'll post it here.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks for the info @vsciar . I'll call service. I've tried to replicate the issue and also have difficulty doing that. It does seem to happen a bit more when the engine is relatively cold (but not exclusively so), and as said before, more often when accelerating after being stopped, but also not exclusively so. Things that don't seem to matter: Accelerating quickly. EV vs HEV mode. Switching modes while stopped or approaching stop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This has been the worst experience ever. Talked to Kia of Portland and I'm getting the same response as usual "we don't know what the problem is". They told me the action they have taken is "emailing with engineering" (whatever that means). The dealer keeps blaming Kia motors and Kia motors keeps blaming the dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Je viens d'acheter un Niro PHEV il y a deux semaines et après l'avoir conduit pendant quelques jours, j'ai commencé à avoir un réflexe puissant lorsque je suis parti d'un arrêt complet. Au début, cela a commencé en mode EV uniquement, mais cela est déjà arrivé en mode hybride à quelques reprises (je ne suis pas sûr que le moteur fonctionne ou s'il fonctionne pour le chauffage). This time is a self-made on a self-driver on a self-speed.

Le défi ici est que cela arrive RANDOMLY et qu'il est impossible de reproduire avec précision. C'est arrivé par temps froid tôt le matin (40 degrés F) quand la voiture a fonctionné pendant un moment, quand je suis reculé et que je passe ensuite à la conduite. Le concessionnaire me surveille, car ils ne sont pas en mesure de reproduire le problème, mais ils ont été refusés. You are here to be a easy vidéo to get the ring 'jerk', mais vous ne pouvez pas le joindre ici. Si quelqu'un d'autre a vu ce problème, s'il vous plaît. The dealer dealer on the base of data global. Ils l'ont conduit avec les capteurs et le «kit de test» et ont déclaré que toutes les conférences étaient correctes. Je pense que la voiture est dangereuse mais apparemment, le concessionnaire n'est pas d'accord.

La voiture a moins de 500 miles au-dessus de c'est donc un défaut d'usine. J'ai signalé le problème au service clientèle et j'attendais de savoir avec quoi ils reviendront.

S'il vous plaît, laissez-moi savoir si vous avez un problème similaire, plus j'ai d'informations, plus ils peuvent aller au fond des choses !!

Merci.
Bonjour, je vous suit! Mon véhicule à le même problème. Nous avons été en mesure de reproduire le bruit (violentes secousses) en présence du technicien de notre concessionnaire. Le véhicule est présentement en observation. Je partagerai le developpement avec vous sur ce forum!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts