Kia Niro Forum banner

201 - 220 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
Have you had any luck or updates with the dealership or with Kia Corporate? I have the same issue with my 2019 plug-in Kia Niro and am getting the response that it’s my responsibility to prove this problem exists. It’s been going on for almost a year now so I barely drive the car because it feels so unsafe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any luck or updates with the dealership or with Kia Corporate? I have the same issue with my 2019 plug-in Kia Niro and am getting the response that it’s my responsibility to prove this problem exists. It’s been going on for almost a year now so I barely drive the car because it feels so unsafe.

My dealer did the fluid change and gasket magnet change and no more issues... I guessed they've put the wrong transmission fluid at first... been a month and no issues

·
Registered
2019 Kia niro hev ex premium
97 Posts
Kia and Hyundai Canada has found the problem was the wrong transmission fluid in the new dual clutch transmissions. It’s the same tranny in the ioniq Kona Niro believe the seltos and couple more now. I had my fluid changed for about 1000 Kim’s now and problem is completely gone now

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the hev. The jerking motion happens when I was in hybrid mode most of the time. I have had my car for over a month now and never had it do it again since they did the changes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the work that I had done at same Kia lot with same problem as EricC. I’m pretty sure they did the same for his Niro and both have no more problems.
Can you tell me the name of the Kia dealership and the address where you both had this fix done?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Are you able to give a link to this technical bulletin? I just called Kia and they are denying that there is any known issues based on the VIN for my car...
You can go here Check for Recalls: Vehicle, Car Seat, Tire, Equipment and plug in your VIN. If you find something here, it's a good thing to share with your dealer. If you don't find something here, that doesn't necessarily mean that your car is not affected. I think the link you might be interested in is in my previous post on this thread (Brand new 2019 PHEV Loud Jerking noise when starting...).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here is a photo. Tim Wong is the service manager and has been great on getting this problem solved.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Revive this thread cause I am having clunking issue. Not sure what models have had this issue

I have had it happen several times. Jus after starting to take off there a loud clunk. I thought I got rear-ended first time it happened. I always do hybrid braking. I notified service dept at first service. They couldn't replicate and said it normal operation for dct. I'm not gonna argue with em but I've had Porsches and an evo MR and other cars with dct and never had one clunk. They can shutter a bit if you take off slow but not clunk. I'm jus gonna keep making sure they note it at each service.
20201204_111056.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
soo terrible this is happening to you too!!! this happened to be a few months into my niro purchase. my car also is a 8/19 model niro. after back and forth at the dealer i told them i would leave the car with them for a few weeks to a month until they drove it daily and that jerking happened to them. surely enough it did. they replaced the entire gear box ( transmission) and as of june my car has been problem free!!! i suggest you keep taking it to the dealer and keep getting paperwork for it, i escalated my case with kia customer care, got a case # and everything, they were the ones checking in with the dealer my car was at. hope this helps! replacing my cars transmission sure helped me!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you have a 2019 Kia Niro Plug-in hybrid? Did the bucking/lurching/jerking stop?
I haven't had an issue with my Niro since. It doesnt matter if its plug in or not since they both use the new transmission. The new wet dual clutch that needs transmission fluid work under extreme cold conditions. It expose to lube all the parts better in colder temperatures. I have been trouble free for over 2000 kms now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I haven't had an issue with my Niro since I had the transmission fluid changed to what I posted here at my Kia lot. They have it stocked at any Kia allover the world. . It doesn't matter if its plug in or not since they both use the new transmission. The new wet dual clutch that needs transmission fluid work under extreme cold conditions. It i is expose to lube all the parts better in colder temperatures. And its also to be best in hotter temperatures as well. I have been trouble free for over 2000 kms now. The fluid I posted and my dealership I both posted so anybody can call and or get their dealership to call them as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Revive this thread cause I am having clunking issue. Not sure what models have had this issue
View attachment 6602
I have had it happen several times. Jus after starting to take off there a loud clunk. I thought I got rear-ended first time it happened. I always do hybrid braking. I notified service dept at first service. They couldn't replicate and said it normal operation for dct. I'm not gonna argue with em but I've had Porsches and an evo MR and other cars with dct and never had one clunk. They can shutter a bit if you take off slow but not clunk. I'm jus gonna keep making sure they note it at each service. View attachment 6602
My niro isn't a plug in but all the transmissions are the same except for the electric in new niro's. I bought my niro is nov 2019 and I think it was from October made stamp. All you need is the new transmission fluid installed and the problem will go away right away. I have posted it at least 3 times now what my kia dealership did to my car and been trouble free for 2000kms with no problem. They did everything for free at no cost. I also posted my dealership info if your dealership had any questions on this. My dealership had 4 cars including their demo model with this issue and evey car is fixed since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My niro isn't a plug in but all the transmissions are the same except for the electric in new niro's. I bought my niro is nov 2019 and I think it was from October made stamp. All you need is the new transmission fluid installed and the problem will go away right away. I have posted it at least 3 times now what my kia dealership did to my car and been trouble free for 2000kms with no problem. They did everything for free at no cost. I also posted my dealership info if your dealership had any questions on this. My dealership had 4 cars including their demo model with this issue and evey car is fixed since.
I'll bring that to their attention but I dunno if it'll do any good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you so much for following up on this. I'm making an appointment today!

201 - 220 of 257 Posts