Kia Niro Forum banner

221 - 240 of 257 Posts

·
Super Moderator
595 Posts
@DougVanBC, Thanks for the update! i did a follow up here in Quebec at a dealer for the fix, and they will test some by changing the fluide. They will send the fix too Kia Canada because as we speak, only the HEV has a service bulletin for this. PHEV will follow!

@paTchRik, This problem were on all Niro's built for North America (USA and Canada) from August to Nobember 2019. Some had this problem no so quite often than others, but it was there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
@DougVanBC, Thanks for the update! i did a follow up here in Quebec at a dealer for the fix, and they will test some by changing the fluide. They will send the fix too Kia Canada because as we speak, only the HEV has a service bulletin for this. PHEV will follow!

@paTchRik, This problem were on all Niro's built for North America (USA and Canada) from August to Nobember 2019. Some had this problem no so quite often than others, but it was there.
Awesome. I emailed the local dealer about this. Hopefully they will follow up. I love this car and plan on keeping it til the next tesla model which I hope is hatchback

·
Registered
2019 Kia niro hev ex premium
97 Posts
Awesome. I emailed the local dealer about this. Hopefully they will follow up. I love this car and plan on keeping it til the next tesla model which I hope is hatchback
If you wanted a hatchback curious why you didn’t get the niro ev then instead since it’s a hatchback and probably $40,000 dollars cheaper then tesla hatchback price. Even mr Tesla man said he would buy a Kia Soul or niro if he had to choose a ev vehicle if he didn’t have his.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you wanted a hatchback curious why you didn’t get the niro ev then instead since it’s a hatchback and probably $40,000 dollars cheaper then tesla hatchback price. Even mr Tesla man said he would buy a Kia Soul or niro if he had to choose a ev vehicle if he didn’t have his.
Depending on kia dealership the niro ev may be more expensive than the base model tesla. Tesla model 3 get a bit better range and is def gonna be faster. Plus tesla are the safest cars in the world and the next one sposed to be 25k. I jus hope its a tiny hatch then I'd keep the niro for roadtrips and use the tesla locally. Hatchbacks are jus so useful and good lookin

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
The Niro really isn't a hatchback. My daughter's GTI can hold more in the back than my Niro can. It's really closer to a station wagon, slightly lifted. My previous car was an Outback, and it was the same. More station wagon that hatch or CUV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to thank OP and everyone else with this problem for sharing all your details and updates. I bought my 2019 PHEV new on 9/29/20 (after 9 years in a Honda Insight), and shortly thereafter had this same shock where we thought we had been rear ended, only to realize this was something the car does to itself.
For the first few weeks I thought I just needed to learn how to drive the DCT (after years fighting with the Honda CVT I was okay with this), but keeping a log of how and when it happened showed me it was actually growing more frequent.
I took it in to the service department on 10/31, where it has been ever since. They say there's only one tech who can handle it and they are buried under wave after wave of these recalls KIA keeps having.
I hope they can get it fixed because I like the car so much, but there's still no ETA. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who has shared their experiences so I can at least hope they will eventually be able to get this resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to update- that the day after I posted here I was contacted by the service department who reported that they had a new transmission ready to go in. After all the delays I was surprised when they called again a few days later to let me know it was ready! I have been driving the car for a week now and it is driving better than any car I've ever had. I am slowly losing the brace for impact I had developed to the jerk and I'm looking forward to my family enjoying it for our holiday travel (even as
limited as it will be this year). I am grateful to OP and all the previous posters for your work documenting and sharing info about this problem because I'm sure that contributed to how easy it was for me. I only had to demonstrate once and that was it- no arguing, customer service cases or failed attempts to patch the problem so thank you to everyone for your diligence.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just to update- that the day after I posted here I was contacted by the service department who reported that they had a new transmission ready to go in. After all the delays I was surprised when they called again a few days later to let me know it was ready! I have been driving the car for a week now and it is driving better than any car I've ever had. I am slowly losing the brace for impact I had developed to the jerk and I'm looking forward to my family enjoying it for our holiday travel (even as
limited as it will be this year). I am grateful to OP and all the previous posters for your work documenting and sharing info about this problem because I'm sure that contributed to how easy it was for me. I only had to demonstrate once and that was it- no arguing, customer service cases or failed attempts to patch the problem so thank you to everyone for your diligence.
It’s been sometime for me now since they fixed my car and I still brace myself lol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s been sometime for me now since they fixed my car and I still brace myself lol.
I bought a used Kia Niro 2019 2 months ago, and it had the jerk problem since the beginning. Yesterday, I brought the printout of what the dealership of DougVanBC did to fix the problem (change the transmission fluid and install 2 parts), but they told me they tried to reproduce the problem and drove 5 miles, but they couldn't reproduce the problem, so this concern is part of characteristics because of dual clutch transmission.
Is there a method to reproduce the problem? I noticed that in my case, it happens once every 15 stops and go.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not really. It happens in colder temperatures. I setup a recorder so when it happened it recorded the sound. I have a recording of my car on YouTube if you want to show them that. It’s under Kia niro jerking noise or something like that. I have posted the link as well in a thread here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I live in Miami so it's not cold. Here is a video I took yesterday: New video by Jacques
I will show it on my smartphone on Thursday. I hope it will be convincing enough. I also called Kia customer service and because there's no service campaign for my car, the only solution is through my dealership, she said.

·
Registered
3 Posts
miamiparis I am sorry you are experiencing this problem. I found that by taking notes about where and when this happened I was able to reproduce the effect consistently enough to demonstrate for them. In my experience I found it most often accompanied a fast start from a complete stop, such as merging into traffic from a stop sign. I drove their tech in circles in the parking lot until it happened. It was awkward at first but after around 12 stop and goes, there it was. They took care of it from there. I'm so glad they fixed it. My whole family really loves this car. Wishing you best of luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a used Kia Niro 2019 2 months ago, and it had the jerk problem since the beginning. Yesterday, I brought the printout of what the dealership of DougVanBC did to fix the problem (change the transmission fluid and install 2 parts), but they told me they tried to reproduce the problem and drove 5 miles, but they couldn't reproduce the problem, so this concern is part of characteristics because of dual clutch transmission.
Is there a method to reproduce the problem? I noticed that in my case, it happens once every 15 stops and go.
Seems to happen to me if i sit at a traffic light for an extended period of time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
WE had. A problem with noise a stone resting on front disc which would drop between cooling plate and disc make noise then jump back onto disc, it's a design problem there's a funnel shape at top of cooling plate which can collect a stone but no opening at bottom too release a stone, "little can make a lot of noise"

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went to the same Kia dealership today, I sent him 2 videos I took on my smartphone, because he told me 1 week ago to do that. I just called him and he said that he was not able to reproduce the problem. He also told me that he doesn't see the problem in my 2 videos. I am amazed and disappointed. That may be why the previous owner sold this car. Can you please tell me if you see the problem or no on my 2 videos? Here is the link: 2 new photos by Jacques
First, there is a 5 second video, it happens before I say "Ah!". On the second video, I do many stop and go, and it happens in the 13th stop and go at 2min34.
Please let me know if you think that my videos are not convincing or if the young service advisor is not telling the truth when he sees nothing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In the Vehicle Maintenance, it is recommended to replace the Engine clutch actuator fluid every 15,000 miles. Is it the same as replacing the transmission fluid?
Update: I see that replacing Engine clutch actuator fluid is only for PHEV, my car is not plug-in so I don't need it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,557 Posts
In the Vehicle Maintenance, it is recommended to replace the Engine clutch actuator fluid every 15,000 miles. Is it the same as replacing the transmission fluid?
Update: I see that replacing Engine clutch actuator fluid is only for PHEV, my car is not plug-in so I don't need it.
Yeah, not part of yours. But to answer the question: no, the clutch actuator is separate from the transmission. No fluid interchange between them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
Me too

·
Registered
7 Posts
@vsciar , a couple of Canadian owners has the same isssu with their PHEV, they all got theirs between september and now.! keep us posted!
the case number I have is: 13444256. Not sure if it's a customer service case number or Kia parts & service case number. Yes, please report it to Kia so that they realize it's not a one-off and try to patch up the issue with a quick fix (after this incident I have lost all trust in Kia). The more they hear about it the more seriously they will take on the issue.

No updates from Kia yet on what the problem is. As soon as I hear i'll post it here.
Have they resolved the issue or told you what it is. My car (2019 KIA NIRO PHEV) is doing this too and my dealership has not heard of it. I have suggested they look on this forum as well but I'm guessing they haven't. It is a solid thunk under the center of the floor upon acceleration from a full stop, like at the stop sign or stoplight, and totally random.

221 - 240 of 257 Posts