Kia Niro Forum banner

241 - 257 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Is this solution working for you?

happydadto5: The owner's manual documents that the engine clutch actuator fluid should be changed at 18 months or 22,500 miles, whichever comes first. At least one member of this forum has documented that he drove over 100k without ever having that service performed. But what might be interesting to you, your dealer, and anyone else having this problem is that the service manual documents that after changing the fluid, the actuator must be made to "re-learn". That involves a piece of computerized diagnostic equipment that a Kia dealer's service garage should have, but some people have reported that their local dealer wasn't familiar with the requirement (my own dealer claims that they know how to do it and will be able to when the time comes for my car).

If I was having this problem, before I had the actuator replaced, I'd suggest to my dealer that they consider bleeding the fluid and then initiate the re-learning process. But before I signed up for that, I'd want to ensure that they would be doing it under warranty, because the procedure is likely to cost over $100 (I think I was quoted $120).
Our car started having this problem with less than 500 miles on it when we first noticed it and now has 2700 miles and it is still doing it. Our dealer has no clue what it is. I even reference this forum when I told them about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my experience now: I went to a first dealership twice and he couldn't reproduce the issue. Then, I went to second dealership. I took 2 videos to show them: 2 new photos by Jacques (you can hear the noise and see the shake in the 5 second video, and hear the noise at the end of the 2 minute video). I also showed them this forum thread saying that transmission fluid should be replaced. The service manager said that, at 26,000 miles, no need to replace the transmission fluid. I left my car for 1 day and a half and they couldn't reproduce the issue, I asked the service advisor if I could do a test drive with a mechanic, he said yes. A few days later, I came for my test drive, I waited 1 hour, then the service advisor told me that the service manager told him that a test drive was not necessary because he could reproduce the issue once! Then, he said that I would need to leave my car for 3-4 days so they could diagnose it, and see if it's covered by warranty. I emailed the service manager of the dealership to inform him that when he said that it was not time to change the transmission fluid according to maintenance schedule, the problem was not that but the wrong transmission fluid has been put in the car during production. I called Kia USA and asked them if I could get a rental car during these 3-4 days, she said that if the diagnostic shows that it's covered by warranty, then they could give me a rental car. So I'm bringing my car tomorrow while my kids have their spring break. Before that, I also posted on Facebook Kia USA, they told me to send them a PM with VIN and email, 16 days have passed and they never contacted me back.
Do you have any advice for me?

·
Registered
18 Posts
@DougVanBC, Thanks for the update! i did a follow up here in Quebec at a dealer for the fix, and they will test some by changing the fluide. They will send the fix too Kia Canada because as we speak, only the HEV has a service bulletin for this. PHEV will follow!

@paTchRik, This problem were on all Niro's built for North America (USA and Canada) from August to Nobember 2019. Some had this problem no so quite often than others, but it was there.
Can you please tell me the link for the service bulletin? If I could show it online to my dealership, then it would be easy to convince the service manager (who said that he doesn't believe what's on the internet).
It's very important for me, I don't want to find myself in a situation where I could have to live with that problem or resell the car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't know what a service bulletin was, I read that: What is a TSB? (Technical Service Bulletin)
It says "If your vehicle had something in its design or production that the manufacturer had figured out had an unanticipated problem, you'd want to know about it. And you'd want it fixed. There is something that can help drivers with just such a scenario. It's called a Technical Service Bulletin, or TSB.".

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I called Kia USA and the employee told me that for my VIN, there is no recall or service bulletin, that was disappointing. In the service bulletin, it says that it applies to "Niro (DE) 17-20MY HEV/PHEV ". What does DE and 17-20MY mean?

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I got my oil changed today and I told the girl dat checked me in about the problem and that there was a TSB. They gonna change fluid and filter next week

·
Registered
18 Posts
YOU ARE SO LUCKY! I'm now 8 days without my car. Yesterday, the dealership told me that they reproduced the problem only twice in 1 week and they opened a case with Kia. i told the service advisor about the TSB but he didn't do anything about it, he said that they change the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. Today, a Kia employee called me and I complained about not having a rental car. He told me that usually, I could pay for the car rental and if it's covered by warranty, then they would refund me. He then said that he will call the dealership and offer the help of Kia so it can be fixed ASAP.

·
Registered
18 Posts
YOU ARE SO LUCKY! I'm now 8 days without my car. Yesterday, the dealership told me that they reproduced the problem only twice in 1 week and they opened a case with Kia. i told the service advisor about the TSB but he didn't do anything about it, he said that they change the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles. Today, a Kia employee called me and I complained about not having a rental car. He told me that usually, I could pay for the car rental and if it's covered by warranty, then they would refund me. He then said that he will call the dealership and offer the help of Kia so it can be fixed ASAP.
Dat sux. They offered to let me take a car and leave mine til the fluid was changed. This the second time I told em bout the problem. The first time they told me it was normal operation for a DCT🙄

·
Registered
18 Posts
I see TRA093 on your picture, while I talked about TRA046. I wasn't able to find TRA093 online. Anyway, they're nice because they recognized right away that it's under warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm quite disgusted, I bought this used 2019 car 4 months ago, and now, the car is at the dealership since 10 days. 10 days without my car or a rental car is hard! I have 2 kids to bring to school next Monday.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I called the dealership and I was told that they order the transmission fluid, but I can get my car back for a few days and I'll bring it back when they'll have the transmission fluid. I'm happy now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

posted already about this issue quite a while ago, but still wanted to share our solution:

A live diagnostic while driving finally caught the event in data. Sent to KIA Engineers. They had no idea and referred it to the Gearbox manufacturer. They came back with the solution to renew the synchronizing mechanism between the first and second gear! So the dealership renewed the synchronizing between the gears and gear one and two itself. The car was in repair for around 5 days and the costs should lie within thousands of euros. KIA warranty took this tough. After that repair the problem never appeared again. Hope that helps someone

Best

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dealer changed my trans fluid yesterday. Had 10300mi on it when I brought it in. Put 30mi on it so far and its good to go so far. Took them bout 1.5hr to complete the repair and they gimme free car wash coupon every time I visit. This honestly by far best experience I have had with a dealership. I will update as I put some more mileage on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
For the jerking/clunking?
Yes. They kept it 6 days to try to diagnose the problem, they couldn't, then they told me they opened a case with Kia, and 4 days later, after I left a voice mail, they called me to tell me that they order the transmission fluid. It should be done this week. The only positive thing about that was that I used the bus, and walking is good for health instead of always be in the car. On top of that, the buses are free in Miami because of the coronavirus, they are afraid that when people put their pass on the reader at the entrance, they pass the virus from one passenger to the other. But after 10 days, I needed my car because my kids were going to restart school physically (not online).

241 - 257 of 257 Posts