Kia Niro Forum banner
261 - 280 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
aboout 1500 miles now and have not had any more problems 😁 fluid and filter change seems to be the fix
After first changing the fluid there were some hard downshifts but dat coulda been from the trans relearning. Is smooth a can be now

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with our family NIRO PHEV with 10K miles. This is not related to hill holder, as it happens during very gentle stops on flat roads. It is random, and perhaps happens 2-3 times per week. Come to a stop, hold the brake for a few seconds, move your foot to the accelerator, and "klunk", it sounds like you dropped it into gear with greater than idle revs. Not normal. No contact with the dealer, yet, since it happens rarely and is hard to explain.

Chuck and Susan
Santa Cruz, CA

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have exactly the same issue with our family NIRO PHEV with 10K miles. This is not related to hill holder, as it happens during very gentle stops on flat roads. It is random, and perhaps happens 2-3 times per week. Come to a stop, hold the brake for a few seconds, move your foot to the accelerator, and "klunk", it sounds like you dropped it into gear with greater than idle revs. Not normal. No contact with the dealer, yet, since it happens rarely and is hard to explain.

Chuck and Susan
Santa Cruz, CA
You should contact them . They told me there as a TSB for it. Im about 2k miles after the fluid change and no more issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We are having the exact same problem with our 2019 Kia Niro PHEV. We heard the "Clunk" only a few days after we purchased the vehicle, which happens randomly. We have taken it back into the dealership 3 times, they say it has been fixed, we pick it up but the clunk just happens again. The last time the service department said they could not find a problem, so we went down to drive around with the Tech until it finally made the noise. The Tech said immediately it was very serious and needed a new transmission. We were just told today that a transmission has been ordered and it will be another month before the transmission will even come in. Our brand new car has been in the shop longer than we have had it since we bought it.
It is helpful to know that other Kia Niro PHEV are having this problem, so when we call Kia Corporate this might help our case. Please let me know what has happened to your car since you wrote this 2 months ago. Our case # is 13476707.

Thanks.
Our 2019 Niro PHEV has been doing that since we bought it, still doing it now with 3300 miles on it and our local Kia says I have to leave it with them so they can try to replicate it. Problem is it is so random. I resorted to attempting to capture a video of it and after two weeks of trying, I got captured it today. I am going to take that to them this week. Also, I have called them several times and described it and thus far they have no service bulletins about it here. I am not real confident they will be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Chuck and Susan
Santa Cruz, CA
Ditto here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our 2019 Niro PHEV has been doing that since we bought it, still doing it now with 3300 miles on it and our local Kia says I have to leave it with them so they can try to replicate it. Problem is it is so random. I resorted to attempting to capture a video of it and after two weeks of trying, I got captured it today. I am going to take that to them this week. Also, I have called them several times and described it and thus far they have no service bulletins about it here. I am not real confident they will be able to figure it out.

Show em this

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Own a 2020 NIRO Hybrid which I bought here in Central Florida back in March 2020. The car has almost 55K miles on it and its getting to where I'm very concerned about driving it now, especially since I'm a LYFT driver and always have passengers in it.
The Jerk-Bang started from dead stops after about 2K miles or about 3 weeks. The first time I thought someone bumped me from behind.
I got all the same excuses as all of you from the dealer. I have taken my car in twice for the same problem which seems to magically disappear when they try to replicate it, even when I was driving with the mechanic next to me. I did have the gear oil changed and they said they put it on a machine to to make it relearn to shift or something like that, but it still did not stop it. Well now the Transmission has started to do something even more concerning to me which led me to finally join this Forum. It's doing what I can only describe in writing as
a whiZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-Bang. If you say the word whiz and hold the z for about 3 seconds, that's what I heard when I pushed down the gas pedal (the car did not move), so I release the pedal immediately and the whiz noise slows till it sounds and feels like it catches a gear which is when I get the bang and a mild lunge forward. This has happened Twice now as of this post. This can definitely be a dangerous thing to happen if I'm trying to pull out into busy traffic. That 3 second pause could turn out to be fatal.
And let me just say, I've been driving like a old Grand paw since this started. Slow creeping take offs and slow stops when possible and it is still getting progressively worse. I guess the reason I'm writing this is to see if anyone else has experienced the Whizz-Bang problem yet? I say "yet" because I think this is a progressive problem that comes after you get some more miles or wear and tear on it.
I have caught a few of the Lunge- Bangs on Video which I did show the dealership. I tried to post them on this forum but I couldn't figure out how to do it, they don't show up under attachments. Also does anyone know the email address to the main Headquarters of KIA ? I'd like to try writing them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Own a 2020 NIRO Hybrid which I bought here in Central Florida back in March 2020. The car has almost 55K miles on it and its getting to where I'm very concerned about driving it now, especially since I'm a LYFT driver and always have passengers in it.
The Jerk-Bang started from dead stops after about 2K miles or about 3 weeks. The first time I thought someone bumped me from behind.
I got all the same excuses as all of you from the dealer. I have taken my car in twice for the same problem which seems to magically disappear when they try to replicate it, even when I was driving with the mechanic next to me. I did have the gear oil changed and they said they put it on a machine to to make it relearn to shift or something like that, but it still did not stop it. Well now the Transmission has started to do something even more concerning to me which led me to finally join this Forum. It's doing what I can only describe in writing as
a whiZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-Bang. If you say the word whiz and hold the z for about 3 seconds, that's what I heard when I pushed down the gas pedal (the car did not move), so I release the pedal immediately and the whiz noise slows till it sounds and feels like it catches a gear which is when I get the bang and a mild lunge forward. This has happened Twice now as of this post. This can definitely be a dangerous thing to happen if I'm trying to pull out into busy traffic. That 3 second pause could turn out to be fatal.
And let me just say, I've been driving like a old Grand paw since this started. Slow creeping take offs and slow stops when possible and it is still getting progressively worse. I guess the reason I'm writing this is to see if anyone else has experienced the Whizz-Bang problem yet? I say "yet" because I think this is a progressive problem that comes after you get some more miles or wear and tear on it.
I have caught a few of the Lunge- Bangs on Video which I did show the dealership. I tried to post them on this forum but I couldn't figure out how to do it, they don't show up under attachments. Also does anyone know the email address to the main Headquarters of KIA ? I'd like to try writing them.
I failed to mention that I drive an average of 250 miles a day and the Lunge-Bang happens about 6 to 10 times a day if I'm real carful on my takeoffs. It's diving me nuts! I love this car, I really do, But I HATE this problem even more.
I hope KIA will do something like maybe a RECALL!! just saying.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I failed to mention that I drive an average of 250 miles a day and the Lunge-Bang happens about 6 to 10 times a day if I'm real carful on my takeoffs.
Your description sounds like a clutch problem. The bang noise would seem to suggest the DCT rather than the engine clutch, perhaps an electric actuator or a clutch spring. Long shot, but have you tried Sport Mode for starts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your description sounds like a clutch problem. The bang noise would seem to suggest the DCT rather than the engine clutch, perhaps an electric actuator or a clutch spring. Long shot, but have you tried Sport Mode for starts?
First I would like to say Thank you so much yticolev for replying to my post. I agree with you that it is in the DCT or Double clutch Transmission if that's what you Mean, I know really nothing about cars other than what I've heard from other owners or mechanics, but I do Know this, that I or any other owner of a KIA Niro should NOT need to know this stuff or have to drive on egg shells to use a car they paid good money for, especially when the problem could cause an accident. I just today caught the Whizz bang I was talking about on video, again when I pressed the accelerator the DCT just Whizzed but the car did not move until the engine slowed and the gear clunked in, so I have some good evidence to take into the dealer. I also have been looking into the New Car Lemon Law , which if the dealer cannot fix the problem I will have an excellent case. Thanks again yticolev , I will try Sport mode for a while and see if that helps.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Check the warranty and the Lemon law. There may be an exclusion for commercial work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello. I joined this forum because I found this thread.

Just a few weeks ago I bought a used 2019 Niro PHEV with a tad under 48K miles. I have not driven it a great deal but I've had the "clunk" issue at least a half dozen times. Always on flat ground.

I want to make sure I understand what I should do.
Does this sound right?

* contact the dealer to seek a transmission fluid and transmission filter replacement
(note: it's not actually from a Kai dealer)
Edit: or is it the clutch actuator fluid?
Or both?

* cite TRA093 for their reference

I do have a powertrain warranty so it sounds like this is probably covered.

Anything else I should know?
Thanks very much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's the DCT oil. The best is to print out TRA093 and you can bring the printout to your dealer. I attached the file so you can download it. The document also details the method for the dealer to reproduce the problem. This fixed my problem. But I had to wait 3 months for the DCT oil to arrive to the dealer, because it was in backorder! It is probably due to the coronavirus in Asia.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Are you coming to a complete stop before shifting from R to D? If not, that can cause issues.

For the video you could just include a link in your text. You need a certain number of posts before you can post attachments but a text link should work.

For the record, I've had my PHEV for almost 2 years and have had no issues thus far.
Mine does it randomly, and at any time. From reversing and going forward, to being stopped at at stop sign after driving a few miles with occasional stop and go at lights, etc. The clunk varies too, from a gentle light jerk with the sound to a head bumping the headrest jerk with a louder sound. I cannot live without my car and my dealership is stingy enough they will not give me a loaner so they can drive it a couple days to try and replicate it. It is a lose lose situation for me here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's the DCT oil. The best is to print out TRA093 and you can bring the printout to your dealer. I attached the file so you can download it. The document also details the method for the dealer to reproduce the problem. This fixed my problem. But I had to wait 3 months for the DCT oil to arrive to the dealer, because it was in backorder! It is probably due to the coronavirus in Asia.
I had the check engine light come on for about 6 days a few of weeks ago, then inexplicably it went off, apparently having fixed itself. It stated there was a problem with the engine fuel management. While it was still on I secured an appointment for this Saturday at the local dealership to check that and do an oil change. Hopefully the car stored a code from that. I am keeping the appointment as it is a bit difficult to get in with them in any kind of normal time frame. I also printed this service bulletin- I have been talking with them for over 8 months about this issue and referencing the threads in this forum. Between the (lack of ) poor cooperation and communications from them, and as it is so hard to purposefully replicate, have been reluctant to surrender my car to them. Thank you for posting the bulletin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This has been the worst experience ever. Talked to Kia of Portland and I'm getting the same response as usual "we don't know what the problem is". They told me the action they have taken is "emailing with engineering" (whatever that means). The dealer keeps blaming Kia motors and Kia motors keeps blaming the dealer.
I am having the same experience here- for the last 8 months! Taking it in this Saturday and giving them a copy of that service bulletin ( 6-Speed DCT shift impact/noise inspection and oil replacement ) and hopefully they can get it sorted out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the check engine light come on for about 6 days a few of weeks ago, then inexplicably, it went off, apparently having fixed itself. It stated there was a problem with the engine fuel management. While it was still on I secured an appointment for this Saturday at the local dealership to check that and do an oil change. Hopefully the car stored a code from that. I am keeping the appointment as it is a bit difficult to get in with them in any kind of the normal time frame. I also printed this service bulletin- I have been talking with them for over 8 months about this issue and referencing the threads in this forum. Between the (lack of ) poor cooperation and communications from them, and as it is so hard to purposefully replicate, have been reluctant to surrender my car to them. Thank you for posting the bulletin.
I saw 2 different Kia dealers because with the first one, he couldn't reproduce the problem after 2 visits. With the second one, he also said the same thing, then I asked if I could have a drive with the mechanic so he can see the problem while I'm driving, he said ok and set up an appointment. At the appointment, the manager admitted that he saw the problem the first time! but only once in 3 days. After that, it was a done deal, but I still had to wait 3 months for the oil in back order. Anyway, all the process took 6 months!

·
Registered
2019 Kia niro hev ex premium
107 Posts
I failed to mention that I drive an average of 250 miles a day and the Lunge-Bang happens about 6 to 10 times a day if I'm real carful on my takeoffs. It's diving me nuts! I love this car, I really do, But I HATE this problem even more.
I hope KIA will do something like maybe a RECALL!! just saying.
I know Kia Canada hasn’t done a recall but they have a bulletin out for if a car comes in with this problem they do a relearn first, then they change the gear fluid and a some other stuff.

this is what they did to my niro and the tranny is great now and only at times has a somewhat hard downshift. We now thought have a injector problem I believe because its feels like the sound of an engine that is starving for fuel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know Kia Canada hasn’t done a recall but they have a bulletin out for if a car comes in with this problem they do a relearn first, then they change the gear fluid and a some other stuff. View attachment 6978
this is what they did to my niro and the tranny is great now and only at times has a somewhat hard downshift. We now thought have a injector problem I believe because its feels like the sound of an engine that is starving for fuel.
I am not sure if it's just me, but your image is not clickable?

261 - 280 of 303 Posts