Kia Niro Forum banner

121 - 140 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm also in Portland with a 2019 Niro PHEV with the same problem. From a stop, the car has a hard, metal-to-metal noise that is severe has so scared my wife when driving that she no longer wants to drive the car. It's our only car so this is a real problem. This happened at less than 600 miles the first time, took it to Beaverton Kia and they could not replicate the problem. I've tried to identify conditions so that I can replicate it but nothing works. Somedays this will happen two or three times, other days not at all. The sound can range from a huge bang sound (as if we had just been rear-ended) and sometimes less severe. Kia definitely has a problem with our vehicles but thus far have not issued a recall notice. If anyone out there can assist with what next steps to take we'd be most appreciative. The car doesn't even have 3,000 miles on it.
Very interested in your results and experience on this issue and with Beaverton Kia, that is where we would purchase a Niro if we decide to get one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very interested in your results and experience on this issue and with Beaverton Kia, that is where we would purchase a Niro if we decide to get one.
This problem with the niro is all over the world right now. Just recently now though it's been getting worse because of the new dual clutch transmission.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

I just created this account particularly for this issue, therefore the my catchy nickname. I monitored this thread for some time now, but wanted to share my info at this point.

We have a MY 2019 (built in March/April) Niro PHEV delivered to Germany. We have the same issue, although the jerking event doesnt occur so frequent as some of you describe here.
However, I made a video of it and showed it to the KIA Dealership. The strength of the jerk is dependent on how much you press down the throttle. It can be very harsh and really as if someone hits you from behind. Dealership acknowledged the problem right away. They put a data logger into the car and we were able to get the jerking on record. Newest info from Kia: There was something obviously wrong in the data and the problem has been recorded in data. The problem seems to be sth. in the transmission. But KIA cannot diagnose it further and they sent it to the transmission manufacturer for further investigation. I will post updates.

Has someone info about what was changed in the transmission system from the MYs prior to 2019? Moreover, does someone know who the transmission manufacturer actually is? Only 2019 cars seem to have this problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
My niro was oct 2019 and bought in November. Couple of niro drivers here have had the whole tranny replaced. In Canada they are looking at replacing the 3 part clutch system and hope to solve the problem along with a software update on this as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good luck with your escalator they’re useless Kia corporate is useless they are horrible they do not have any customer support if they fix your car it will take weeks months and they will not compensate you in anyway maybe you’ll get a loaner of course it will burn gas for your car doesn’t good luck all I can tell you is my escalator was here on the East Coast and she took more days off than she worked

·
Registered
55 Posts
Good luck with your escalator they’re useless Kia corporate is useless they are horrible they do not have any customer support if they fix your car it will take weeks months and they will not compensate you in anyway maybe you’ll get a loaner of course it will burn gas for your car doesn’t good luck all I can tell you is my escalator was here on the East Coast and she took more days off than she worked
That might be an issue with usa kia motors. So far my dealership service manager put big pressure on kia motors canada and are now putting together a TBA for all kia niro owners that go to any kia motors canada dealership to correct problem. I laughed and said I hope that TBA is the actual problem.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
Just to let you know! a contact here in Quebec, Canada who had the same jerky problem, had her transmission changed by Kia Canada 2 weeks ago, and the jerky has disappeared since.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just to let you know! a contact here in Quebec, Canada who had the same jerky problem, had her transmission changed by Kia Canada 2 weeks ago, and the jerky has disappeared since.
I going to my dealership today for a 3 month old led fog light daytime running light and ask this question to them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I asked my service manager about this hill assist and he said the Niro doesn't have the hill assist. I asked him over the phone so I don;t know if he meant the same feature i was talking about. I read into the features online and it says all Kia Niro have this HAC they call it.
It's in the manual that it has hill start assist.

·
Registered
55 Posts
EricC. When are they replacing your whole clutch assembly? I was told parts start coming in early April hopefully.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wanted to chime in and say I'm having the same issue (very intermittently, once every few drives) on my '19 PHEV. Curious to hear what happens for those who get the clutch assembly/transmission replaced. Really liking the car so far and happy to join the community!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went on a drive with the Kia technician in my Niro. Lo and behold, the car did the spectacular jerk and lurch with the thud sound during our drive! Immediately he said he will initiate a "K-tech"(sp?) report. They asked if I could leave the car with them while they attach a computer which will collect data as they do some drives throughout the day. I agreed. A few hours later, they called me and said they were able to replicate the jerking issue and will be sending the info to the Kia engineers. Meanwhile, I will be able to drive the car as the dealership waits for for word back from engineering.
I bought my car in begining or octobre. Have the same issue since then. What is finally the outcome or solution?

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
What is finally the outcome or solution?
I am shure that Kia Canada will un part the transmission that was changed in Qc, and see exactly where is the problem from! than from dougvanbc dual clutch change.. probably this will help them more to find the faulty part and release a service bulletin! and hope for US owners too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just to clarify, the jerk issue we're discussing occurs even 1/2 second after the car starts accelerating and "feels" like it's completely grabbing the brakes for a moment, making your head whiplash a bit (my neighbor in the car at the time described it that way.)
Just chiming in here: I have a brand new 2019 Niro EX hybrid and it has now done this "jerk" from a full stop at least twice. It's really quite alarming - I actually thought I'd run over something substantial, or had been hit from behind (there was no car behind me...quite disorienting...) I'm definitely familiar with the "normal" jerking that happens when accelerating; this feels very different from that. Any advice for what specifically to ask for or how to describe this when I take it in to the dealership to avoid getting the run-around and ensure that they check to make sure it's not a transmission issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good afternoon
I think that I am the one in Québec who had a complete replacement of the transmission on my Niro PHEV 2019. After 6 visits at the garage, Kia Canada decide to replace all the transmission. They did the work in the first week of January and I picked up the car on January 13. And... good news (I'm touchind wood for good luck) since then, everything is OK. No jerk, no noise.
It's true that with the Covid-19, we take the car less often, but when I get in, no more stress and no fear to hear a noise.
So, for now, the Niro PHEV does what I bought it for. No fuel, often around 50 km on a full charge, comfort, smooth and quiet. And I hope it will remain like this ;).

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
Good afternoon
I think that I am the one in Québec who had a complete replacement of the transmission.
The person i was refering is already on this forum, BUT, you are probably the second one that had the fix! (y)(first one was in Drummondville)
So glad you had it fixed and that kia Canada will re-think it's problem and get them all fixed! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
Hello, I'm new here but wanted to report about my experience with this same issue. This issue was reported the Kia within days of my driving my brand new 2019 Kia Niro PHEV off the lot last year. Every time they tried to diagnose, I was told that the computer said there are no errors codes/issues. During the second to last visit they reset some systems and the issue did somewhat improve in intensity and frequency. However the issue was still there and was loud and frightening at times. I finally got a check engine light (for some other reason - sensor replaced) and when I took it in for that I insisted that they give me a loaner for a few days and that they needed to figure out the 'loud boom on acceleration' issue. After the 2nd day the dealer shop finally reproduced the issue, and they determined that the whole transmission needed to be replaced. So now I've got a new transmission (cost over $14,000 Cdn). I suggested they upgrade their shop diagnostic computer if it can't detect a $14,000 issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just wanted to note that the dealer couldn't reproduce the issue over two days on mine (it was fairly intermittent) but reset the transmission programming. Have not driven it a ton but so far it's smoother to shift and no odd jerk/clunk behaviors now... fingers crossed the reset was all it needed!

121 - 140 of 176 Posts