Kia Niro Forum banner

141 - 160 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
This exact thing is happening to me. Were you ever able to resolve?

I have not brought it in for service yet since I cannot duplicate, but would like to be prepared when I do go in with some knowledge from other Niro owners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This exact thing is happening to me. Were you ever able to resolve?

I have not brought it in for service yet since I cannot duplicate, but would like to be prepared when I do go in with some knowledge from other Niro owners.

Thanks.

I’ve also been having this problem and I’m glad I found this forum. My car as of today is at the dealer for the second time now and it’s day 2 of being there and of course the technician cannot replicate the problem. I purchased my vehicle October 2019 and the vehicle only has 5,000 miles on it since then. Hopefully they can fix this issue and come up with a solution

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder if the "jerking" noise is normal sound/feel occurring at certain condition? for those that have owned a manual vehicle can attest to this "jerky" sound/feel especially during the slow stop-n-go scenario? I am going to guess one can easily duplicate this by quick acceleration follow by sudden braking in low speed? Except for a CVT, all slush and DCT does it? Probably more noticeable on DCT because of the gears “banging” after a quick release of the clutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if the "jerking" noise is normal sound/feel occurring at certain condition? for those that have owned a manual vehicle can attest to this "jerky" sound/feel especially during the slow stop-n-go scenario? I am going to guess one can easily duplicate this by quick acceleration follow by sudden braking in low speed? Except for a CVT, all slush and DCT does it? Probably more noticeable on DCT because of the gears “banging” after a quick release of the clutch.
It's fairly different at least when I had the clunk problem happen (I don't own a manual but have driven several friend's cars). You can definitely feel the DCT slipping the clutches in normal driving but the clunk/jerk behavior is very different-closer to a clutch drop and stall.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
If the DCT is slipping versus rpm matching, it is not doing it right. Accurate rpm matching is one major reason why DCT shifting is so fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If the DCT is slipping versus rpm matching, it is not doing it right. Accurate rpm matching is one major reason why DCT shifting is so fast.
I meant accelerating out of a stop, it seems to engage gears at about the right times when shifting at speed and generally behaves like a DCT should after the reset. Though I'm coming from an EV so anything that shifts gears at all shifts slow :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
EricC. When are they replacing your whole clutch assembly? I was told parts start coming in early April hopefully.
I've had the repair done - the dealership said they replaced the entire clutch assembly. They also said it was their first time.

However, since driving a couple weeks, the jerking returned three times!

How would you like to be told by the dealership that it's because of the way you drive your car, the way you gradually press on the gas pedal, that's causing the jerking, ie, switching between the gas and electric modes? I was told this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How would you like to be told by the dealership that it's because of the way you drive your car, the way you gradually press on the gas pedal, that's causing the jerking, ie, switching between the gas and electric modes? I was told this.
Ouch. Don't think anyone would like that! And that response doesn't seem to align with people's findings. Did the car ever jerk in EV only for you? It did a few times for me before the reset, for what it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
555 Posts
I've had the repair done - the dealership said they replaced the entire clutch assembly. They also said it was their first time.

However, since driving a couple weeks, the jerking returned three times!

They should have changed the whole transmission like a couple of contacts that had theirs changed and it fixed the whole problem!.. dont loose faith!

And for the "stupid" reason given by your delaer, call Kia Canada and tell them what the dealer told you and make them validate if they told dealers to say that customers dont know how too accelrate (i know i would) (y)

·
Registered
225 Posts
All you need to do is pause for a moment when starting from a stop.. This allows the clutch to engage, and start pulling you forward- then accelerate slowly. If you do both at the same time, you can get the jerking you mention. It is indeed similar to popping the clutch on a manual car. This is not a conventional trans with torque converter, which keeps torque(forward drive) on all the time. If you do this you will get little or no jerking.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
All you need to do is pause for a moment when starting from a stop.. This allows the clutch to engage, and start pulling you forward- then accelerate slowly.
This describes just one of the four different types of jerking reported in this thread. However, the mechanism is different than you report. It is caused by a sudden start after firmly having the brakes engaged. This engages hill hold which takes half a second or so to disengage. The sudden spurt of acceleration after that is perceived as jerking.

Another type of jerking is reported by downshifting with a cold transmission.

A third type of "jerking" is rather subtle and not noticed by many and is also just how the car works. The motor balances around the current speed (easier to detect with CC on) and is constantly slowing down and speeding up very slightly. I notice this, and several other members have reported it here or on the Ioniq forum. I can feel my back pressing a bit harder or lighter and my head nodding back and forth. Not what I'd call jerky exactly, but it is faintly annoying. I can fell it at all speeds but it is easier to detect at lower speeds.

Finally we have serious transmission issues.

I don't think any reports of jerking have been pinned on the hydraulic clutch yet but I might be wrong. This thread is getting too long to review. Maybe we have 5 types of jerking, not 4. Ben K reports jerking in EV mode which could be PHEV specific.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This describes just one of the four different types of jerking reported in this thread. However, the mechanism is different than you report. It is caused by a sudden start after firmly having the brakes engaged. This engages hill hold which takes half a second or so to disengage. The sudden spurt of acceleration after that is perceived as jerking.

Another type of jerking is reported by downshifting with a cold transmission.

A third type of "jerking" is rather subtle and not noticed by many and is also just how the car works. The motor balances around the current speed (easier to detect with CC on) and is constantly slowing down and speeding up very slightly. I notice this, and several other members have reported it here or on the Ioniq forum. I can feel my back pressing a bit harder or lighter and my head nodding back and forth. Not what I'd call jerky exactly, but it is faintly annoying. I can fell it at all speeds but it is easier to detect at lower speeds.

Finally we have serious transmission issues.

I don't think any reports of jerking have been pinned on the hydraulic clutch yet but I might be wrong. This thread is getting too long to review. Maybe we have 5 types of jerking, not 4. Ben K reports jerking in EV mode which could be PHEV specific.
Many thanks for the solid breakdown of the different forms! Definitely seems like a few different situations here

For what it's worth:

-on the PHEV jerking-mine is still all good post reset (fingers crossed). When it was having issues I think I can rule out the hill hold- it always happened while car was moving, and happened on deceleration a few times. Also seems like it wasn't the clutch between the gas engine (is that hydraulic?) and DCT since it happened sometimes in EV.

-#3 definitely seems like normal behavior-the transmission isn't clunking or jerking but does snap forward a bit in 1st/reverse accelerating from a stop, and isn't the smoothest on upshifts either. It does seem to shift smoother with harder acceleration for me-lifting off the throttle makes it less smooth if anything.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
So your PHEV DCT does shift in EV mode. It needs to be in the predicted best gear should you need the engine to turn on for more power. Again, this is more likely to be clunky (usually only on downshifts) if the transmission is cold.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So your PHEV DCT does shift in EV mode. It needs to be in the predicted best gear should you need the engine to turn on for more power. Again, this is more likely to be clunky (usually only on downshifts) if the transmission is cold.
I think we're agreeing on this haha-yep! Though I find it's more clunky (but not anything like the jerk behavior, just not smooth) on upshifts than downshifts when cold and in EV mode-mostly the 1-2 upshift. But that could be specific to how I drive, not sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: Took the car into the Kia dealership last week. Described the problem. Told the service manager they'd have to do the start/stop several times to see if they experienced the "jerky" noise, that it happens roughly every 5-10 stops. I was expecting one of those calls later where the service guy says, "I dunno, lady, we drove it and it runs great. We didn't hear anything." But instead he called me about 90 minutes later and said, 'We took it for a drive and definitely experienced what you're talking about. We've looked it up and it's clear we need to reset the adaptive transmission values.' They then test drove it again to ensure that the reset led to proper shifting of the dual clutch transmission, and it did. No charge to me (everything's still under warranty and I've had the car less than 6 months) and it hasn't done the "jerky" thing since. Service guy did tell me I need to 'break in' the dual clutch transmission more, that I haven't put enough miles on the car yet. Dude, we're in the middle of a pandemic. Not driving much. But problem appears to be solved and I was really pleased with my first Kia-owner service experience.

Just chiming in here: I have a brand new 2019 Niro EX hybrid and it has now done this "jerk" from a full stop at least twice. It's really quite alarming - I actually thought I'd run over something substantial, or had been hit from behind (there was no car behind me...quite disorienting...) I'm definitely familiar with the "normal" jerking that happens when accelerating; this feels very different from that. Any advice for what specifically to ask for or how to describe this when I take it in to the dealership to avoid getting the run-around and ensure that they check to make sure it's not a transmission issue?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Update: Took the car into the Kia dealership last week. Described the problem. Told the service manager they'd have to do the start/stop several times to see if they experienced the "jerky" noise, that it happens roughly every 5-10 stops. I was expecting one of those calls later where the service guy says, "I dunno, lady, we drove it and it runs great. We didn't hear anything." But instead he called me about 90 minutes later and said, 'We took it for a drive and definitely experienced what you're talking about.
Good deal! You might want to mention the name of your dealer: there's a good chance that some forum members have the same dealer and would be encouraged to read this about them. I hope their fix continues to work for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good deal! You might want to mention the name of your dealer: there's a good chance that some forum members have the same dealer and would be encouraged to read this about them. I hope their fix continues to work for you.
Good idea. It was Boucher Kia in Racine, Wisconsin. This is who I also bought the car from. Really excellent and fast service. Car service in Racine WI

141 - 160 of 176 Posts