Kia Niro Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We've looked it up and it's clear we need to reset the adaptive transmission values.' They then test drove it again to ensure that the reset led to proper shifting of the dual clutch transmission, and it did. No charge to me (everything's still under warranty and I've had the car less than 6 months) and it hasn't done the "jerky" thing since. Service guy did tell me I need to 'break in' the dual clutch transmission more, that I haven't put enough miles on the car yet. Dude, we're in the middle of a pandemic. Not driving much. But problem appears to be solved and I was really pleased with my first Kia-owner service experience.
Sure sounds like my experience as well (dealer couldn't replicate in my case but reset the transmission anyway). Glad to hear a reset helped you too!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.
I am having this issue too. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
This situation that some are having sort of reminds me of my really old Volkswagen Fox that I have when I was young. It was a manual transmission and the engine idled really rough. I took it into a Volkswagon dealership even though I bought it second hand and it was outside of warranty, but the service manager took it out for a test and said there was nothing wrong with it. I drove it and it was fine for about a week and then started to do the same thing. I called him back and he said, come back here and I'll let your drive. After about 1-2 km, he told me what I was doing wrong. You are not reving the engine enought. the red line is at 6000 but you are shifting at 3000 and never get the motor really working. As a result the timing and fuel advancement systems were off from the design spec and the motor ran horrible.

I mentions this as this car is a Hybrid, but that doesn't meant that the motor isn't designed to actually do some work. It might be that like my mind set back then, we are trying to squeeze out every ounce of econtomy out of the car and never really letting the motor do it's thing. As a result the injectors are not getting hot enough to clean. The timing on the DCT is off as we are forcing it to shift at the wrong spots as we don't push the motor enough. You might find that spending that extra 5% more on gas by driving more in the normal range rather than trying to stay well inside the ECO will fix the problem all together as the engine gets actually used. warms up and then can shift right.

just a thought.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Short shifting is well known to improve mpg. My grandad got incredible mpg back in the 1960s in a VW squareback. I had never driven at that point, but even I noticed all his shifts were so early as to be lugging the engine. An algorithm driven DCT will always be in the best gear for the throttle request.

I assume the VW Fox has a similar engine to the Rabbit? So short shifting that should be most efficient as long as you are not having detonation. Shifting at 3,000 rpm is not even short shifting, just normal driving in my opinion. If the engine runs rough at 3,000, there is a problem. Shifting at 5,000 would be playing boy racer. Or blowing the carbon out of an 80s Lamborghini!

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
My early Rabbit was a diesel, so every shift was a short shift. The redline was only about 4500 RPM. :) But if that Fox had that early fuel injection setup, it's possible that driving like that didn't sit well with the engine. Early FI in almost all brands had their teething issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a Niro PHEV two weeks ago and after driving it for a couple of days i started getting a loud jerk when starting from a full stop. At first it started happened in EV mode only but I've had it happen in Hybrid mode a couple of times ( not sure if the engine is actually working or just on for Heating). The sound and jerk can best be described as what happens when you drive a stick shift and you pull the clutch too quickly in first gear without any gas and the car jerks forward.

The challenge here is that is happens RANDOMLY and is impossible to replicate accurately. It's happened in 'cold' weather early morning ( 40 degrees F) when the car has been running for a while, when I back up and then switch to drive. The dealership is giving me the run around since they haven't been able to replicate the problem when they drive it so they refuse to take the car in and open a ticket. I have a video where you can clearly hear the loud noise and se the 'jerk' but can;t attach it here. If anybody else has seen this problem please advise. The dealer says they checked the worldwide Kia database and haven't found any similar problem ( therefore refuse to work on it). They drove it around with the sensors and 'testing kit' and say all the reading are fine. I believe the car is unsafe to drive but apparently the dealer doesn't agree.

The car has less than 500 miles on it so this is clearly a factory defect. I have escalated the issue to customer service and I'm waiting to hear what they come back with.

Please let me know if anyone has had a similar problem, the more information i have the quicker they can get to the bottom of this!!

thanks.

thanks.
hi .... i dont know in what stage is your car in this moment ,,, but i have the same problem on mine ,,, first i was thincking that the problem come from brakes after ,,, maybe from a soft delay that do not use clutch proprely .. i manage to recreate the noise and they took the car in service 3 times now. first they reinstall the soft and give me car back next chance clutch now they change again clutch but they did not give me the car yet because the problem is steall there so they dont know actualy how to fix it ... i have a special insurance that give me legal suport in this case and if they dont fix it this time i will go to cort to get my money back,,,I am from europe so i apology for my writeing

161 - 167 of 167 Posts