Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very expensive to recalibrate the cameras if needed, like $600 or so - that won't be covered by your insurance policy. I've read that some replace the glass and don't need to recalibrate so I'd try that first. You probably want OEM glass though, I don't think third party glass will have the sound deadener glass.
Had windshield replaced @ 18 K due to small rock damage 2" from edge of glass, that cracked to edge 2 days later on a hot day. I use a very competent "in the shop" glass dealer & did NOT require camera recalibrating, but was cautioned recalibrating might be necessary. I think in the shop not in the field ( run & gun ) might be the difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes having same issue, going onto my 3ra windshield. Current one has 2 cracks and 3 chips in all different areas.
Anyone having issues with their windshield? I purchased my Niro in August, replaced the windshield less than 6 weeks later. Now, I'm getting ready to have to replace it again. Has anyone else had issues with the windshield being very easily broken??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone having issues with their windshield? I purchased my Niro in August, replaced the windshield less than 6 weeks later. Now, I'm getting ready to have to replace it again. Has anyone else had issues with the windshield being very easily broken??
Yes, My Niro EV, purchased in Dec of 2019, spontaneously developed a crack in the winshield that has spread across the lower window. I am now faced with replacing it. I window was not struck by rocks or other debris.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Over the last 42,000 miles, I've had some seriously scary rock impacts thrown by trucks. Zero damage. Previous cars would have chipped or cracked. That is just by the way, you may have had a stress fracture. Which is a bit odd after such a long time but certainly possible.

I talked to my insurance company last week and out of curiosity asked them about window replacement. Until the car has 50,000 miles on it, they replace (no copay) the window with the OEM one. After that, third party can be installed (I might be able to pay the difference in cost to the installer). Don't understand the rationale for that, and it varies by state they work in. Was told that was actually the policy of installers.

On a perhaps more important note, they said they cover all costs of replacement - including recalibration of those front facing cameras used for safety systems like LKAS. I've read that dealers may charge up to $600 for that service and third parties cannot do it.

Reader beware of course: this is my insurance and yours will probably be different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced after being hit by a rock. I went to a windshield shop. Now my air conditioner switches to defroster automatically. I thought it needed a calibration but when I called for an appointment I was told by the service manager at the dealership that because it wasn't OEM glass, the defroster will automatically switch on! Neither the windshield glass shop nor my mechanic have ever heard that before. Anyone?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I just had my windshield replaced after being hit by a rock. I went to a windshield shop. Now my air conditioner switches to defroster automatically. I thought it needed a calibration but when I called for an appointment I was told by the service manager at the dealership that because it wasn't OEM glass, the defroster will automatically switch on! Neither the windshield glass shop nor my mechanic have ever heard that before. Anyone?
First, you should be able to disable the auto defrost function, I think by holding the defrost button for a few seconds. Is this setting sticky? I don't know.
Second, I assume the oem windshield included features to enable that function. Conductive film maybe? It's likely that aftermarket glass lacks whatever is needed for that to work and the result is as you discovered.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Yes, I have heard of windshield replacement affecting the humidity sensor in Niro/Ioniqs but not related to the brand of glass. That is beyond silly, the humidity sensor isn't good enough to tell one piece of glass from another one.

Yes, you can turn off auto defog and it does stay sticky. You can then manage AC use manually - but in 48 years of driving in many climates (including England, New Zealand, and most states), I've never needed AC to defog a windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, My Niro EV, purchased in Dec of 2019, spontaneously developed a crack in the winshield that has spread across the lower window. I am now faced with replacing it. I window was not struck by rocks or other debris.
Same here. A two foot crack just started overnight in the garage spontaneously. And the quote to replace it is $845 and that doesn't include recalibration by the dealer. This has be a manufacturer defect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very expensive to recalibrate the cameras if needed, like $600 or so - that won't be covered by your insurance policy. I've read that some replace the glass and don't need to recalibrate so I'd try that first. You probably want OEM glass though, I don't think third party glass will have the sound deadener glass.
I got my windshield replaced by Discount Auto Glass. I was told I would have to go to the dealership for the recalibration. I called the dealership to set the appointment. He asked if my lane change dinged and the cameras seemed to be working. I said yes. He said that I didn't need it to be calibrated then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had my phev 18 niro windshield crack last week. Left the car in perfect condition outside in the driveway only to discover a 24inch hairline fissure going aross the passenger side windshield the next day. Aside from some rain and humidity I have no idea how it developed out the blue like that.

Iam afraid to take it to a chain like safelite. All the local safetlites in my area have horrible reviews and I already know everyone is going to try to peddle non-oem glass as opposed to oem regardless of whatever insurance claim stipulates. Possible recalibration of sensors is going to be an even bigger pain, How is that not covered as part of the glass swap?

·
Registered
1 Posts
cracked from a stone is one thing , hard to avoid in construction . thousands of little defects in the windshield that you can see when facing the sun and Kia not wanting to do anything about it is another.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,941 Posts
Sometimes a rock hitting the windshield doesn't make any noticeable damage. But if it's created a small flaw, it's absolutely possible the glass could crack at a later time, especially with significant temp and humidity changes.

Reactions: FlNiro

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
There can be spontaneous stress fractures even in brand new cars, sometimes well known as a manufacturer design error and happening to multiple cars of the same model. Can also happen in individual windshields because of tempering issues or other manufacturing defects. In any case, stress fractures are more likely to occur with rapid change of temperature, but this one would have likely occurred at some point anyway. Such fractures can also occur from very small stone chips, too small for you to have noticed. You can look very closely now to see if you can perhaps spot a triggering stress riser from such a chip.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts