Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new today and apologize if I have missed a thread on this issue; I did look for one. Bought our Niro PHEV last week and, before we took it home, the dealer said there is a problem with the air intake flap and they needed to fix it. So we drove home a Soul and went back on Saturday to pick up the Niro. All is fine on the 168 mile ride home, and then on Thursday at about 269 miles, the check engine light goes on and the "check active air flap" error message starts flashing. Having checked with the local dealer that they can service the PHEV before we bought it (they don't sell them here in the outer regions of NC), we stop by only to be told that, well they COULD work on it, but they can't do WARRANTY work on it because they can't get paid by Kia for it because they aren't certified for EV. They could change the oil (thanks, so can Jiffy Lube.) So we kick this up to original dealer, who says that's ridiculous, and asked for contact info for the local dealer. This all happened on Friday and now I am just waiting to hear back from anyone. I did, however, look at the local dealer's website and they do have 2 Niro hybrids for sale, so I have written asking how working on ours for the active air flap is any different than working on the hybrids they sell. The original dealer would send someone down to pick up the car and give us another loaner but, honestly, what a waste of resources, and also since this has happened just 5 days after they supposedly fixed it, we could be doing this dance weekly....

Yes, I want to whine, but also... is anyone having active air flap issues, especially repetitive? Ours is a 2020 Niro EX PHEV. And, has anyone had the experience of buying elsewhere and then having trouble getting the local dealer to service?

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
Well, it's only one data point but my '19 PHEV has been flawless for 14 months and 13,000 miles. Sounds like the original dealer didn't do a proper job on the flap the first time. The closer dealer sure wasn't very upfront with you, and I'm not certain their argument is valid that they can't do warranty work on yours, especially since I would guess the active air flap has nothing to do with it being an electrified car.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. As long as the dealer figures out that flap issue, I'm confident that car will be fine after that. I'm not saying that any new car can't have issues, as we all know lemons do happen. But overall we hear good things here on the forum.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If you assume that the dealer service dept is accurate, bring it up with Kia corporate. Tell them the alternative is 168 mile tow.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think this is the 1st post regarding an air flap issue. Bummer for sure. Hopefully you will get some resolution early next week.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Somebody in the know please tell me what is correct. I thought it was just the EV that is sold just in certain localities? I thought everybody sells the PHEV....No?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Somebody in the know please tell me what is correct. I thought it was just the EV that is sold just in certain localities? I thought everybody sells the PHEV....No?
I think the issue is whether or not a given dealer's service department has qualified PHEV techs. Smaller dealers may not bother to get their guys trained up on the plug-in.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think the issue is whether or not a given dealer's service department has qualified PHEV techs. Smaller dealers may not bother to get their guys trained up on the plug-in.
I would think KIA would insist on the dealer having trained personnel in all areas or your not a dealer.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I would think KIA would insist on the dealer having trained personnel in all areas or your not a dealer.
That is exactly right. They don't allow dealers to sell cars without trained mechanics on those cars. Some dealers don't even sell hybrids.

·
Super Moderator
978 Posts
I don't think the PHEV was available everywhere, at least previous model years. Simply because it too qualified for the federal tax credit, I think manufacturers pushed their inventory to specific CA CARB states, even if they claimed "nationwide availability". I know when I was shopping last year, Hyundai did not bring any PHEVs or EVs into Washington. The standard hybrid, yes. And when I got my Niro last May, finding an Niro EV was almost impossible. There were a handful in my general area, but none of theEX Premium that I wanted. I would have had to go to CA (maybe OR) to find one. Same with the Subaru Crosstrek. There were none in WA or OR when first released. The upcoming Toyota RAV4 PHEV is supposed to be available in all states, but I wouldn't be surprised if virtually all of them end up in the CA ZEV states. Fortunately, WA is now one of those as well, so EV availability is getting better here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We experienced the same geographic discrimination. We were originally going to get an EV, and found one up at a MD dealer, but then sadly realized that charging it for 30 hours (AC at daughter's house) in the middle of the drive home was a non-starter. It seemed like the PHEV was a good compromise. We traded in a 10 year old Sportage on the Niro, so in general we like Kia.

Thanks, everyone, for your two cents. I will update when I get any new info, and will enjoy participating in the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Latest developments... the selling dealer got a regional manager involved who informed the local dealer that, in fact, they could work on the Niro PHEV. Despite my misgivings about them, the service tech actually was helpful. He tested the active air flap and it is working correctly. But something in the sensor feedback loop says it is not. Evidently Kia corporate is on the case to come up with a fix. Because it affects mileage, EPA will need to approve whatever they do. So at this point we will just ignore the error until a TSB comes out with a fix. It’s interesting that this has affected a certain batch of recent VIN numbers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Somebody in the know please tell me what is correct. I thought it was just the EV that is sold just in certain localities? I thought everybody sells the PHEV....NoT PHEVS BECAUSE THEY DID not have the equipment to
We were told by a dealer in Bristol CT they sold Niro HEV S BUT NOT Phev s because the have not acquired the equipment to work on them.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I don’t believe any additional equipment is needed to service the PHEV. However dealers cannot sell PHEVs unless they install chargers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am brand new today and apologize if I have missed a thread on this issue; I did look for one. Bought our Niro PHEV last week and, before we took it home, the dealer said there is a problem with the air intake flap and they needed to fix it. So we drove home a Soul and went back on Saturday to pick up the Niro. All is fine on the 168 mile ride home, and then on Thursday at about 269 miles, the check engine light goes on and the "check active air flap" error message starts flashing. Having checked with the local dealer that they can service the PHEV before we bought it (they don't sell them here in the outer regions of NC), we stop by only to be told that, well they COULD work on it, but they can't do WARRANTY work on it because they can't get paid by Kia for it because they aren't certified for EV. They could change the oil (thanks, so can Jiffy Lube.) So we kick this up to original dealer, who says that's ridiculous, and asked for contact info for the local dealer. This all happened on Friday and now I am just waiting to hear back from anyone. I did, however, look at the local dealer's website and they do have 2 Niro hybrids for sale, so I have written asking how working on ours for the active air flap is any different than working on the hybrids they sell. The original dealer would send someone down to pick up the car and give us another loaner but, honestly, what a waste of resources, and also since this has happened just 5 days after they supposedly fixed it, we could be doing this dance weekly....

Yes, I want to whine, but also... is anyone having active air flap issues, especially repetitive? Ours is a 2020 Niro EX PHEV. And, has anyone had the experience of buying elsewhere and then having trouble getting the local dealer to service?

Same - I bought a 2020 Niro (non-PHEV) and just before the day of delivery, they stated that there was an Air Flap error issue and it needed to be worked on. I asked about other vehicles on the lot (these were multiple 2020 Niro's with less than 200 miles on them) and he said they all had the same exact issue. They got the part in a week later and replaced it. They drove it to me (170 miles), delivered it and I figured everything was good.

The very next morning, I drove it to work and within 1/2 mile, I got the Active Air Flap issue with check engine light on. I have an appt this morning with my local Kia dealer. I still have the box the Air Flap came in to show them. At this point, as someone mentioned, I don't necessarily think it is the part as much as it may be the sensor reporting or even an out of tolerance computer reading.

I will let you know where we end up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Same - I bought a 2020 Niro (non-PHEV) and just before the day of delivery, they stated that there was an Air Flap error issue and it needed to be worked on. I asked about other vehicles on the lot (these were multiple 2020 Niro's with less than 200 miles on them) and he said they all had the same exact issue. They got the part in a week later and replaced it. They drove it to me (170 miles), delivered it and I figured everything was good.

The very next morning, I drove it to work and within 1/2 mile, I got the Active Air Flap issue with check engine light on. I have an appt this morning with my local Kia dealer. I still have the box the Air Flap came in to show them. At this point, as someone mentioned, I don't necessarily think it is the part as much as it may be the sensor reporting or even an out of tolerance computer reading.

I will let you know where we end up.
Yes, our tech said Kia instructed him to replace the air flap again. We agreed that was a waste of time. It seems that they think doing something, anything, is better than saying we don't know how to correct it right now. FWIW, the tech cleared out the memory in the sensor, and although husband says that the check engine light was still on when he drove it home, yesterday there were no errors or light at all.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Sounds like there is a bad batch of air flaps in the 2020’s. Queue all the “anyone get an active air flap error message and what do I do about it?” threads. It will be the new jerky transmission thread 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep - took mine in Saturday, they are waiting on the Air Flap to come in so they can replace it a 2nd time tomorrow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update - they called and said they replaced the air flap again. I told the gal I was feeling rather skeptical but then I read the tech's report:

It doesn't detail what he found other than "internal wear" but at least something was found...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Our error message came back but we are ignoring it as per our plan. I’ll be interested if this latest replacement works for you or whether you will eventually get the warning again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts