Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the an option to buy a brand new Kia NIRO LX hybrid, where the 2021 and 2020 model cost the same. The catch to get the 2021 is as follow:

• I pay Motor Vehicle cost for registration. around $300. The 2020 model is inclusive of this cost.
  • I need to go through financing and pay 3.25% interest to be eligible for the same pricing. This is not a problem. Dealer suggest I can just take advantage of the deal and after 3 months, pay off the car. The interest rate for 3 months will be less than $80
I'm very cost conscious and actually have decided to get the 2020 model until I was presented with this deal.
I'm having problem deciding. What's new in the 2021 that justify paying $400 - $500 extra?

So far from what I have researched, I'm seeing these:
  • Negligible Fuel efficiency (+1 city, -1 highway) in 2021 model
  • Unlimited map update (dont really care. use my phone for direction anyway)
  • Rear Occupancy sensor. Don't have kids or dogs. Wife will always sit in front. So this is pointless
  • Android/Apple auto without cable. I'd rather get the $500 and use 1 cable.

Could someone help?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,589 Posts
Wireless CarPlay would really be nice to have. I don't bother to use it unless I'm taking a longer trip, simply so I don't have to hassle with the cable. I'd probably go with the '21, but that's just me. I don't like the thought of getting a brand new car and it's already a "year old" when I drive off the lot. :)

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
Wireless CarPlay would really be nice to have. I don't bother to use it unless I'm taking a longer trip, simply so I don't have to hassle with the cable. I'd probably go with the '21, but that's just me. I don't like the thought of getting a brand new car and it's already a "year old" when I drive off the lot. :)
I would also go with the 2021. If I was getting the 2020, I would expect to get it for at least $1000 less than the 2021, even though they are both "new".
I don't like purchasing 1 year old plus new vehicles that have been sitting on the lot. Batteries don't like that; brake rotors tend to rust; often some scratches appear on the paint; tires will flat spot...just not good overall.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would also go with the 2021. If I was getting the 2020, I would expect to get it for at least $1000 less than the 2021, even though they are both "new".
I don't like purchasing 1 year old plus new vehicles that have been sitting on the lot. Batteries don't like that; brake rotors tend to rust; often some scratches appear on the paint; tires will flat spot...just not good overall.
Agree, tires aged by 1 year means they'll reach end of life sooner.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I'm reading that wireless CarPlay is buggy. And I think buying the year old model should be a far better deal for you. This is a great score for the dealer! Both offers in fact. If you don't like to negotiate try a free service like TrueCar. I got $3,000 off my then current year Niro LX through them.

·
Registered
KIA NIRO LXS HEV 2020MY
13 Posts
I have the an option to buy a brand new Kia NIRO LX hybrid, where the 2021 and 2020 model cost the same. The catch to get the 2021 is as follow:

• I pay Motor Vehicle cost for registration. around $300. The 2020 model is inclusive of this cost.
  • I need to go through financing and pay 3.25% interest to be eligible for the same pricing. This is not a problem. Dealer suggest I can just take advantage of the deal and after 3 months, pay off the car. The interest rate for 3 months will be less than $80
I'm very cost conscious and actually have decided to get the 2020 model until I was presented with this deal.
I'm having problem deciding. What's new in the 2021 that justify paying $400 - $500 extra?

• Rear Occupancy sensor. Don't have kids or dogs. Wife will always sit in front. So this is pointless

Could someone help?
Hello:

The same question I made me on January of this year.
My own recommendation. First ask the windows sticker of both cars and compare the electronic added in both cases. For me both cars are the same. I have a Niro LXS 2020 that bought in January and I don't see any external difference like the 2021, anyway I don't know if the Niro 2021 has added some new electronics advantages that help you in the driving process.
Things that you should verify:
Enter in the KIA website and ask compare the trim LX with the LXS, then compare both trims, and try to fight with the dealer in order yo get a good price for one LXS.
Regards
Willyam

·
Registered
11 Posts

Could someone help?
I just got the 2020 LXS and I love it. Based on your list I don't know if I could in good conscience pay the difference. UNLESS, there was a major body / interior change. Sadly we didn't get any 21's out here where I live for some weird reason so I haven't seen them. But that's my humble opinion. Good luck ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'd also look at Kelly Blue book and see what the value is on a 2020 vs 2021. That first year depreciation is killer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How long do you keep your cars? If you keep them for many years, this is not that relevant, but if you trade often, the 2021 is one year newer! It will always be one year newer and hence worth more on the used market.

Take the credit deal on the new one and pay it off as soon as you can.

·
Registered
2018 Niro Touring Pearl White
16 Posts
On every used car site where I've shopped for car values, the mileage seems to be more a determining factor than the model year. A low mileage '18 model may cost more than a high mileage '20 model. A long time ago we went with the mantra that a car lost 25% of its value when you drove it off the lot, but I just don't think that holds true anymore.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
On every used car site where I've shopped for car values, the mileage seems to be more a determining factor than the model year. A low mileage '18 model may cost more than a high mileage '20 model. A long time ago we went with the mantra that a car lost 25% of its value when you drove it off the lot, but I just don't think that holds true anymore.
Oh, a car loses almost 25% of its value when you drive it off the lot but only if you try to sell or trade it.
The dealers don't seem to be affected by that loss - people keep paying what they are asking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you for all the replies. I ended up getting the 2021 model for $24K out the door plus MV fee. I actually decided to go with the 2020 model, but the dealership that was offering the 2020 model was a bit tricky when I was closing the deal, wanting $800+ more compared to what we agreed to. It became a no brainer!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
131 Posts
thank you for all the replies. I ended up getting the 2021 model for $24K out the door plus MV fee. I actually decided to go with the 2020 model, but the dealership that was offering the 2020 model was a bit tricky when I was closing the deal, wanting $800+ more compared to what we agreed to. It became a no brainer!
I think you made the right choice.
Enjoy the Niro!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts