Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2018 Kia Niro hybrid (non-PHEV) driver here. Car was purchased pre-owned with ~40k miles on it in 2021 and the Michelin Saver A/S tires from the original owner need replacement now that the car is at 50k miles with not much tread left.

I live in CA where I don't have to worry about snow or ice and primarily drive highway miles on long road trips. My main focus is fuel economy with acceptable safety and handling.

What is a good tire recommendation for budget conscious Niro owners? Replacing my Goodyear's would cost $800 (170 per tire) and I'm only looking to spend around $500. The associate at the local tire shop recommended Prinx All City A/S which come out to $480 with installation but I can't find any reviews on these tires.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
537 Posts
Are you sure your current tires are Goodyears? I suspect not as they don't show a Saver A/S. Most Niros came with 16" Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires which is probably what you have. Many folks on this site report getting well over 50,000 miles (some close to 100K)! on theirs but of course that depends on driving habits and inflation. Those Michelins are arguably the best high mpg tire but also quite expensive ($188 at TireRack). You'll have to drive a lot of miles to make up for the expense of these tires.

Unfortunately you're going to be hard pressed to find a quality tire for under $125 each, especially one that is mpg oriented. Not much info on Prinx tires as you have discovered. Since tires are you only contact with road, I'd suggest that you go for a more reputable brand. That said, if you trust your tire shop and $500 is your max, then Prinx might be the tire for you. Even if they are less energy efficient, they may be the least expensive in the long run.

Overall, I'd suggest you up your price and consider Riken Raptor HR @ $97, Vredestein HiTracs @ $122 (relatively energy efficient) or Kinergy ST @ $112 (prices are from TireRack and do Not include mounting and balancing).

·
Registered
983 Posts
What ever you get make sure your getting a LRR (low rolling resistance) tire or you'll be disappointed with the mileage hit. I replaced my original equipment Michelin tires with Continental LRR tires and still took a mileage hit. If I had to get tires again I think I'd go back to the OE Michelin or maybe Yakomma Envigor, I had good luck with them on my Prius.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
I would go with the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and while it will be a hit upfront, in the long run I don't think you will regret that purchase.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Have you checked the wheel alignment at a possible reason for the premature wear of your Michelin Energy Saver A/S tires? This is a known issue with the Niros.
I experienced extreme tire wear, researched the reasons for it, and Kia ended up reimbursing me for new tires and lifetime wheel alignment. I now get mine checked every 6 months.
For your replacement tires, if you want continued good fuel economy, go with proven energy saver tires. And research the tires to make sure they are reliable. You will pay extra for these.
If you're budget conscious, as you say you are, you may pay less for the tires but it will cost you in fuel economy or longevity.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
I am not convinced wheel alignment is a problem and I certainly realize (after performing hundreds of alignments) that alignment is the commonly mentioned solution to tire wear. It is also a good money maker for the facility doing the alignment.
My experience says the most important operation you can do with your tires is to rotate regularly - like every 5 - 8000 miles.

·
Registered
983 Posts
My first problem when I discovered uneven tire wear was the rear wheels were out of alignment. By then it was too late. The current tires are wearing evenly. I think alot of cars when new are out of align I still blame it on being tied down to tight on the ship but that's probably just me LOL.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
808 Posts
If not rotated regular and often, the rear tires of a FWD car tend to get cupped wear on them. Once that has begun, nothing will fix it, including a suggested "alignment".
As I have stated before on this forum, I have done 100's of alignments and in at least 70% of the cases, the alignment was not necessary (made good money for the shop I worked for).

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am not convinced wheel alignment is a problem and I certainly realize (after performing hundreds of alignments) that alignment is the commonly mentioned solution to tire wear. It is also a good money maker for the facility doing the alignment.
My experience says the most important operation you can do with your tires is to rotate regularly - like every 5 - 8000 miles.
My alignment was out when new and the tires were worn out by the second tire rotation. So yes it is a problem with the Niros because of the way they are ratcheted down on the ship. A lifetime alignment solves the problem because you pay once and have free alignments as long as you own the car. In my area in Pennsylvania, we have horrible roads full of bumps and potholes, and the alignment goes out quickly. Every 6 months, they put the wheels back in alignment.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
250 Posts
2018 Kia Niro hybrid (non-PHEV) driver here. Car was purchased pre-owned with ~40k miles on it in 2021 and the Michelin Saver A/S tires from the original owner need replacement now that the car is at 50k miles with not much tread left.

I live in CA where I don't have to worry about snow or ice and primarily drive highway miles on long road trips. My main focus is fuel economy with acceptable safety and handling.

What is a good tire recommendation for budget conscious Niro owners? Replacing my Goodyear's would cost $800 (170 per tire) and I'm only looking to spend around $500. The associate at the local tire shop recommended Prinx All City A/S which come out to $480 with installation but I can't find any reviews on these tires.

Thanks for your help!
I would stick with the OEM tires (Michelin Energy Saver A/S). They may be very expensive but they are good in mpg and I heard that those tires last longer than the suggested warranty. Most of the low rolling resistance tires will be expensive.

I am not sure about the Goodyears. I have heard mixed reviews about them. If you are looking for tires around your budget then maybe try Continentals or Yokohama.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts