Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
For a PHEV owner driving exclusively on plug-in charge, something like this measures the electricity consumed by charging: https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=asc_df_B00009MDBU

Your odometer measures miles (if you trust it, otherwise, look for a highway that marks off measured miles).

And then the math for "mpkwhr" is just the miles divided by the kwh reported by the meter.

Yep, that is how I do it too. Doing it this way takes into account all of the electric power train inefficiencies. The in car charger, battery in/out, motor controller, motor, ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Electricity Cost

I have a small meter I use and I program it to the cost per Kilowatt and then each time I charge the car the meter gives me a dollars and cents reading. My cost right now is .13/Kwh. The highest figure I have seen is about $1.14. The battery was at maybe 15%. So if you take 1.14 / 26 = .043/mile. This is probably just an approximation, as there are some variables that I don't even understand. But all I know is that at $4.00 a gallon for gas and using a figure of 45 miles per gallon, 4.00 / 45 = .088/mile. So... it is about 1/2 the cost per mile to use electricity. I normally drive less than 30 miles per day, so its a big savings. On top of that, my last SUV had MPG of about 15 miles. Enough said!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on the contractor, prices can be really different. I know that from my personal experience, and I am 10% sure of that. I used to pay very much for the electricity per month and I lost tons of money. To be honest, I could not even image how easily this issue of mine could be solved, it took me a couple of days to make all this come true. To cut it short, I used the usave.co.uk service for that as I heard a lot of positive feedback. I had to enter my postal code and to choose from the available suppliers in my area. That's all, they take care about the rest. I have not even had to deal with my old supplier. Very easy, safe and sound

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd readily admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to numbers, it I think some of you are. ?
I'm trying to figure out operating costs for the EV power of the Niro PHEV. Here in Seattle the electric rate is 11 cents / Kilowatt hour. How would I determine the cost of juice to drive 26 in BEV mode? Thanks
I know you have received a lot of feedback after posting this already. Without making your brain crazy, just figure it’s about half the cost of gas for that first 26 miles in BEV:) A buck goes a long way!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd readily admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to numbers, it I think some of you are. ?
I'm trying to figure out operating costs for the EV power of the Niro PHEV. Here in Seattle the electric rate is 11 cents / Kilowatt hour. How would I determine the cost of juice to drive 26 in BEV mode? Thanks
I would submit that a different equation could also be used.
See on your dash readout what your average Miles per KW is. In my case that would be 26 miles divided by 3.7 miles/KW=7.02. 7.02x your 11 cents per KW is about 77 cents to go 26 miles. Depends on your style of driving with miles per KW. Can someone check my math? Easier or not easier to figure?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts