Kia Niro Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
For a PHEV owner driving exclusively on plug-in charge, something like this measures the electricity consumed by charging: https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=asc_df_B00009MDBU

Your odometer measures miles (if you trust it, otherwise, look for a highway that marks off measured miles).

And then the math for "mpkwhr" is just the miles divided by the kwh reported by the meter.

Yep, that is how I do it too. Doing it this way takes into account all of the electric power train inefficiencies. The in car charger, battery in/out, motor controller, motor, ...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Electricity Cost

I have a small meter I use and I program it to the cost per Kilowatt and then each time I charge the car the meter gives me a dollars and cents reading. My cost right now is .13/Kwh. The highest figure I have seen is about $1.14. The battery was at maybe 15%. So if you take 1.14 / 26 = .043/mile. This is probably just an approximation, as there are some variables that I don't even understand. But all I know is that at $4.00 a gallon for gas and using a figure of 45 miles per gallon, 4.00 / 45 = .088/mile. So... it is about 1/2 the cost per mile to use electricity. I normally drive less than 30 miles per day, so its a big savings. On top of that, my last SUV had MPG of about 15 miles. Enough said!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts