Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

California State Rebate Program Out of Money

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  javiera781 
#1 ·
Currently the California rebate program for EV purchases is out of money since June 5th. There is no telling how soon additional funds may be available, but no rebates are available after June 5th. Federal Tax credits are still available, but may start being reduced soon.

#3 ·
Bummer for those who are affected, but it's not necessarily the end of the world. I think this has happened before and if you can afford to be patient, you should sign up for the waiting list and I expect that you'll eventually be compensated. As I understand it, the California state legislature allocates a pot of money for this every so often and it occasionally runs dry and then people have to wait for the next allocation.

Part of the explanation might be the big surge in Teslas that were sold in the past several months. I purchased my Niro last October and since that time, I've seen a total of three other Niros in the wild (two were in a campground in southern CA, the third was commuting north on I-15 a week ago). But in the last three or four months, I've probably seen two dozen Teslas driving around my area, where previously I had seen maybe one or two. I think a lot of CA residents were motivated to purchase Teslas before the federal credits expired and that probably introduced a surge that depleted the state's rebate allocation pot of money faster than anticipated.

The good news is that CA actually increased the rebates recently. People applying for the rebate that comes from their electric utility are likely to get $500 more this year than I got from my CA utility company in 2018.

#7 ·
As far as Fed tax credits, they only run out per "manufacturer" after the manufacturer reaches 200,000 units. Once they do the following year the fed rebates are "sunsetted" , 100% of the rebate for the Battery Capicity Jan - Apr, 50% May - Aug, 25% Sep - Dec ..afaik there are 2 manufacturers sunsetting this year GM (which is why Volts and Bolts are currently at 50% of what they used to be) and Tesla. ...I have no idea where to check what qty any other MFG is at :p

#9 ·
The fed credits are only reduced the year after a manufacturer sell 200,000 units. GM and Tesla are currently in this situation, here's an explanation of how the "phase out" year works:

"How the electric car tax credit phase-out works is a bit complicated. It happens over a one-year period starting at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer hits the 200,000-unit threshold. At that time, the tax credit available to buyers drops to 50 percent of the original incentive available and continues at that level for the next two quarters. In the third and fourth quarter of the phase-out period, the tax credit drops to 25 percent of the original amount.

After the phase-out period, no battery-electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid manufactured by the automaker is eligible for the tax credit."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.