Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I couldn’t find any forum posts on this so here we go....

I can’t seem to change my L1 charge rate. I set it to, “reduced” in the PHEV infotainment screen but the screen on the Niro’s EVSE still shows “H” indicating high power and my estimated charge time from flat is still 9 hours when it should be around 12 or so at the reduced rate. Anyone else having trouble with this?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi folks,

I couldn’t find any forum posts on this so here we go....

I can’t seem to change my L1 charge rate. I set it to, “reduced” in the PHEV infotainment screen but the screen on the Niro’s EVSE still shows “H” indicating high power and my estimated charge time from flat is still 9 hours when it should be around 12 or so at the reduced rate. Anyone else having trouble with this?
I just did an experiment with my PHEV. Battery is almost full so all power levels are below normal.

Car charge settings on max, measured 1350 watts
Car charge settings on min, measured 650 watts

Cable box indicates H in both cases. So maybe the H indicates what's possible not what is happening.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just did an experiment with my PHEV. Battery is almost full so all power levels are below normal.

Car charge settings on max, measured 1350 watts
Car charge settings on min, measured 650 watts

Cable box indicates H in both cases. So maybe the H indicates what's possible not what is happening.
Google is failing me but I think you can change the settings on the charge box as well. In any event I suspect you are correct that the box is just reporting what it is set to deliver and not what the car is receiving.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Google is failing me but I think you can change the settings on the charge box as well. In any event I suspect you are correct that the box is just reporting what it is set to deliver and not what the car is receiving.
there is a 1/4 in square black rubberized button on the back of the cable box that when pushed, sequences through the L M H settings.

Thus the car or the cable box can limit the charge rate.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there is a 1/4 in square black rubberized button on the back of the cable box that when pushed, sequences through the L M H settings.

I had no idea that was a button.

I just tried it however and it did nothing. I tried short presses and long presses and it did not change the settings. It is stuck on, "H." Can anyone else try the button on the EVSE and report back? Maybe I got a dud?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had no idea that was a button.

I just tried it however and it did nothing. I tried short presses and long presses and it did not change the settings. It is stuck on, "H." Can anyone else try the button on the EVSE and report back? Maybe I got a dud?
one has to hold the button for about 2 sec with the evse powered but not connected to the car.

If you in unpower the evse , it will revert to H , at least in my case.

With battery 80% soc

L 900 W
M 1140 W
H 1380 W

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one has to hold the button for about 2 sec with the evse powered but not connected to the car.

If you in unpower the evse , it will revert to H , at least in my case.

With battery 80% soc

L 900 W
M 1140 W
H 1380 W
Thanks for your help! Disconnecting the plug from the car and THEN using the button to cycle through worked.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Good to know I wasn't going crazy thinking that was the case. :D

This all gets back to the J1772 charging protocol. As you note either the charger or the vehicle can establish limits on the charge rate, but a simple charge cable like the one that comes with the Niro is not set up to do active communications with the vehicle to provide accurate feedback on the display. Good to know that setting limits on the car side works as expected.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i found nothing in my manual about this. is slower charging better for the battery?
I don’t think lower charge rates have any affects on the battery.

I needed to know how to adjust the rate for when I’m using an unfamiliar outlet. I want to lower the amperage so I don’t risk tripping a breaker.

·
Registered
395 Posts
At L1 rates, I can't think of any reason it would be better for the battery. I think the lower settings are simply to support circuits that can't handle the 12 amp (high) setting.
I agree. However, since the garage is today very hot and I have 12 hrs to charge I'm using the L setting tonight.

Batteries don't like heat and slow charge rates generate less.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. However, since the garage is today very hot and I have 12 hrs to charge I'm using the L setting tonight.

Batteries don't like heat and slow charge rates generate less.
You could always remote start your A/C to blow cold air into the cabin which would help bring down the battery temp if you are that worried about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts