Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took delivery of a 2019 Niro EV. I have an extra OEM Level 1 charger cord from my 2017 Chevy Volt. Does anyone know if I can use the Volt’s 8 amp/12 amp Level 1 charger to Trickle charge the Niro? If so, I’ll keep it for road trips. Thank you.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just took delivery of a 2019 Niro EV. I have an extra OEM Level 1 charger cord from my 2017 Chevy Volt. Does anyone know if I can use the Volt’s 8 amp/12 amp Level 1 charger to Trickle charge the Niro? If so, I’ll keep it for road trips. Thank you.
I don't see why not. It'll be slow obviously (60 hours from empty according to Kia) but it will certainly let you charge anywhere you can find an outlet.

·
Super Moderator
1,121 Posts
Yep. The SAE J1772 protocol is a standard that all EVs adhere to, other than Tesla. Any EVSE can plug into any EV with a J1772 connection. The car will only draw what the EVSE is capable of, up to the limit of the on-board charger. If the EVSE is capable of more than the car is, then you just get what the car can accept. That's why I can connect my Juicebox Pro 40 amp EVSE to my PHEV, which can only accept 16 amps.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Jim and Dan. The Volt’s charger will be my security blanket in case there are challenges finding Level 2 chargers...Best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts