Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get a winter tire and wheel package from tire rack (US) and they stated that they have not measure the Niro EV wheels yet so can’t recommend a tire/wheel package. Can someone please provide the wheel specs (offset, bore, bolt pattern) for the Niro EV? Do Niro ICE/PHEV wheels fit the EV or is there something different?

Thanks
Bruce

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
238 Posts
Thanks for the link.. just to be clear, I’m planning to minus size these with the following wheel. I think they should fit - might just order one for a trial fit

ENKEI PERFORMANCE PX-10
That is basically the specs for the PHEV and HEV.
I would suggest you go with 6.5 x 16 rim though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What is the current size of your tire?
I have 215/55R17 - tire rack recommends 205/60/16 for a 16” PHEV wheel - but it looks like that would not be the correct diameter as compared to stock. The closest I could get for a 16 inch wheel is 215/60R16 - but since it’s the same 215 width there‘s not much point in minus sizing.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
238 Posts
I have 215/55R17 - tire rack recommends 205/60/16 for a 16” PHEV wheel - but it looks like that would not be the correct diameter as compared to stock. The closest I could get for a 16 inch wheel is 215/60R16 - but since it’s the same 215 width there‘s not much point in minus sizing.
You are correct with the 215/60-16 being the closest diameter and I strongly recommend that you choose that size.
Even a 205/65-16 would be better than 205/60-16 but not sure if the 205/65-16 is an available size.

·
Registered
2018 Niro EX Touring Graphite Edition
72 Posts
Maybe this is old news but just in case it's not, for everyone's info, the wheels in front have different clearances then in back.
I just bought a 21 NIRO EV. I looked into buying a spare and jack kit online like I did for my 18 HEV. While ordering the kit a notice popped up that on the EV the spare tire will not fit on the rear axle. If you have a flat on the rear wheel you need to take a wheel off of the front and mount the spare there. Then put the the front wheel you just took off on the rear axle. If you measure the rim on an axle make sure you try it on the rear. I'm not particularly thrilled that I need to have the spare donut on the steering, driving wheel which is why I still didn't purchase one.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
3 Posts
I would suggest you go with 6.5 x 16 rim though.
Can I ask why you suggest the 6.5 inch width as the stock Niro EV wheel is 7 inches?

Also, in a later post you strongly recommend a tire diameter that, I am supposing, matches with the stock tire. Isn't there a range of diameters off of stock that would be acceptable?

Wondering because I am looking to replace my wheels with wheels from a different model of Niro that has the same offset, but the width is a little bigger. I am OK going with a little bit of a spacer if required.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
238 Posts
Can I ask why you suggest the 6.5 inch width as the stock Niro EV wheel is 7 inches?

Also, in a later post you strongly recommend a tire diameter that, I am supposing, matches with the stock tire. Isn't there a range of diameters off of stock that would be acceptable?

Wondering because I am looking to replace my wheels with wheels from a different model of Niro that has the same offset, but the width is a little bigger. I am OK going with a little bit of a spacer if required.
A 205 tire only requires a width of 6.5 and for winter tires, narrower is better.
If a 215 tire is used then yes, it should be 7.0 width.
Width is not the major factor to compare. You want the diameter/circumference of the wheel to be as close to original as possible as it will affect speedo reading. Also, if much greater there may be an issue with the front wheels hitting the wheel opening when turning.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Niro EV EX Premium
3 Posts
Also, if much greater there may be an issue with the front wheels hitting the wheel opening when turning.
Ok, sounds good. I know there are other factors to consider, but the stock Niro EV wheels look tiny vs. the wheel opening (and that along with the style of the stock wheel make the car look extra frumpy, IMHO). I'm wondering why, oh, why did they go with that diameter of tire? I know it can't just be that smaller diameter tires are better for EV range as I had a BMW i3 that had 20's on it. And then I also look at the Tesla's and wonder why they have a relatively tiny gap between wheel and tire.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
238 Posts
The "tiny gap" between rim and tire refers to "low profile" and that type of tire has excellent handling characteristics but at the expense of fuel economy/range etc.
Low profile tires are also expensive and allow for larger rim diameters, which are also more expensive.
Low profile wheels are also subject to greater damage when potholes are encountered...again more expensive to replace.

·
Super Moderator
617 Posts
Make shure that your wheel, (rim or mag) of 16' for an EV fits and does not "flirt" with the brake calliper in the front.!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts