Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very excited to get my 2020 Niro Hybrid and love it. I made sure to get a roof rack, as my 2018 did not have a roof rack and I thought I wanted one. I own a motel/cottage business and like to carry things home: Lumber, furniture, kayaks, canoes. I found a used canoe, today and very proudly purchased it from the owner. I wheeled my Niro around to put it on the roof rack, got it on top with foamy carriers. Then discovered, that using my ratchet straps, there was no way to safely carry the canoe on top of the roof rack, as there are no tow rings, or even any motor mounts or structures exposed enough to wrap my straps around. Does anyone have any solutions? Am I missing something about how to carry atop my roof rack? I have the side bars, and at the dealership, I had them install the roof racks-so it is factory supplied. HELP! Signed 65 y/o woman getting older by the minute!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. You are right - there isn't really anything on the front bumper that you can the bow of a canoe to in order to keep it directionally stable. There might be some tie down hooks underneath, recessed behind the under-side cover, but even if you found one, you probably wouldn't want to run a rope from underneath up to the canoe because the front skirt under the bumper is plastic and pretty flimsy.

When I carry lumber, pipe, or furniture on the roof rack, I use a rope instead of a strap (I like to use 1/4" nylon rated for 75 pounds or more). If you make about three wraps around the roof rack on both sides of whatever you're carrying (front and back, so four places you are making three wraps), and if your ropes are tight, that works pretty well for pipe or lumber. I'd be concerned about using this technique with a canoe at highway speed though. It only needs to slide a little bit out of alignment and there would then be tremendous force trying to slide it further out of alignment.

Perhaps something like this would be a safe solution for carrying a canoe? https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport-Carriers/Lockrack/339-LRUNISETX.html (there may be better alternatives, this just came up in a quick google search for "canoe clamps roof rack").

·
Registered
15 Posts
Niro and canoe-A great match.
I’ve put 1000s of miles on my niro with a canoe.
Here’s some options:
I have two tow eyes, one for front and back. Stock Niros come with one, I bought a spare tire set with a second.
Or you can get fender straps, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/Shoreline-Marine-Propel-Trunk-tie-Down/

For anything high speed you need a front(bow) and rear(stern) and two straps in the middle. For what it’s worth. I’ve used the Thule rack system for years. Roof racks for cargo, bikes etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
That link for fender straps didn't work. Try this one.

I saw a thread on either this or the Ioniq forum saying this was a pretty good solution. In fact, you don't even need a roof rack (so probably the Ioniq forum), just the foam protectors and tie downs. There is also a tow hook available, I think a couple come with the car if you look. Not sure they are centered though.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You really need cross bars. The straps go around the bars to hold the canoe to the car. Otherwise, you need to run the straps through the door openings.

Also, I installed those under hood loops for the bow line. It's a nylon loop that has a screw hole that you attach to something under the hood. It only sticks out of the hood when you need it. They have held up on 1200 miles of rooftop carrying.

Just an FYI, don't use ratchet straps, they can exert lots of force...enough to damage a canoe or kayak hull. Use cam buckle type straps instead.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've car topped for 50 yrs / 1000s of miles. Based on my experience here's all you need. :cool:

Two lines in front for wind stability. The fender straps work great- no need to crawl under car, no ropes rubbing on paint. 1 line for the back is sufficient, tow eye works well for that. I prefer ropes over straps as they are easier to tie and you don't need to fuss about if they are laying flat.

Cross bars and roof straps / ropes are cumbersome; I used them for a long time before I realized that they are unnecessary. Foam gunnel blocks hold canoe in place well and are oh so easy to use.(see link below) Your OEM roof rack will prevent side winds from blowing it off the sides so you don't need straps over the top unless you are driving in high wind area.

Using the above approaches, I have only had a canoe come of the top once while driving 70 mph with 20+ mph side winds in E WA. Didn't hurt the Royalex canoe a bit! :oops:

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Foam gunnel blocks hold canoe in place well and are oh so easy to use
Agree. Not many cars had roof racks (or rails) thirty plus years ago, and would have been expensive for occasional canoe transport - which is what I did. Foam blocks work great. With luck, perhaps the rails would limit twisting of the canoe against the foam blocks. Back in the day, cars had tie down hooks for transport from the factory. I've used those for various things I carried on the roof.

·
Registered
22 Posts
we just got a 16’ canoe. we did have the stock Kia roof bars. I ordered this kit: Amazon.com : Heavy Duty Hood Loop Straps and Hood Trunk Straps with Lashing Tie down straps and PP Ropes Ultimate solution kit for Trailing the Kayak/Canoe/SUP/Surfboard/Ski board/Snow board 8 pcs/Set Black : Sports & Outdoors

however we wanted to take it canoeing before the kit arrive. from my old rock climbing days I had lots of climbing tape, which I could use. I just tied knots in the tape and put these under the hood and behind the hatch door. That worked well for securing the canoe - we only had to drive about a mile.
however we will probably use our Subaru for the canoe in the future. I have 3 sets of Yakima bars, but none will fit either car. i could get towers for the subaru rails, but that would cost a. $250. I went with cheap bars from amazon; hopefully they’ll work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts