Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Sirius XM radio but can't seem to play it (or any radio from the car) while Apple Car play is showing me driving route using Maps feature. It will only take music from the iPhone while Car Play in use.

suggestions?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Reboot your phone, turn off bluetooth, delete phone registration from the infotainment. See if any of that works. It might be helpful to note what model and year car you have. For example, if you have a 2022, the issue could be related to just that year. Could also be related to your phone model and iOS version.

I also have an iPhone issue that I haven't put any work into (including the above suggestions) - might as well add it to this thread. After buying a new iPhone, there was no longer any BT audio. Didn't bother me too much as most trips I plug into the USB anyway. About 10 months after the new iPhone, suddenly the infotainment system said it recognized it and asked if I wanted to connect. So I did that, and while BT is clearly connected and audio source is playing, no sound at all until I connect the cable. That was annoying enough to delete my Niro from BT settings on my iPhone.

It would be nice to fix it, but I'm just too lazy. For starters, I should dig through infotainment settings and delete my last phone. And restart the infotainment (pinhole by volume knob). Clearly the car is confused.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reboot your phone, turn off bluetooth, delete phone registration from the infotainment. See if any of that works. It might be helpful to note what model and year car you have. For example, if you have a 2022, the issue could be related to just that year. Could also be related to your phone model and iOS version.

I also have an iPhone issue that I haven't put any work into (including the above suggestions) - might as well add it to this thread. After buying a new iPhone, there was no longer any BT audio. Didn't bother me too much as most trips I plug into the USB anyway. About 10 months after the new iPhone, suddenly the infotainment system said it recognized it and asked if I wanted to connect. So I did that, and while BT is clearly connected and audio source is playing, no sound at all until I connect the cable. That was annoying enough to delete my Niro from BT settings on my iPhone.

It would be nice to fix it, but I'm just too lazy. For starters, I should dig through infotainment settings and delete my last phone. And restart the infotainment (pinhole by volume knob). Clearly the car is confused.
Thank you. I'll try that. I suppose I should have added I have a 2020 Niro EV, and a less than 1 year old Apple iPhone 8, and this is with the phone physically connected by USB cable to the car (because I can't seem to do Carplay and thus show Apple Maps from iPhone without physically connecting that way.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Yes, BT will be audio only for your car. Wireless CarPlay requires a compatible model that has built in WiFi. Google Maps and Waze also work with CarPlay as an FYI. All have some pluses and minuses, and they handle the voice turn by turn differently.

When you have the radio on, and you plug in your iPhone, does the radio stop? Likewise, lets say you are running Maps through CarPlay, what happens when you push the Radio button on your dash?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,001 Posts
On occasion mine would switch from SXM to the phone music, but I could switch it back and it stayed there. No other problem playing SXM and using CarPlay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, BT will be audio only for your car. Wireless CarPlay requires a compatible model that has built in WiFi. Google Maps and Waze also work with CarPlay as an FYI. All have some pluses and minuses, and they handle the voice turn by turn differently.

When you have the radio on, and you plug in your iPhone, does the radio stop? Likewise, lets say you are running Maps through CarPlay, what happens when you push the Radio button on your dash?
Yes exactly. When I'm running Maps through CarPlay and push the radio button I get the radio but lose the maps and when I press CarPlay to see Maps again I lose the sound from the radio and it tries to get sound from phone instead. Frustrating as I can't figure out how to listen to SiriusXM radio and have my Maps on the car's screen at the same time.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well my son made my Niro do what you want, but I don't know how he did it sorry. But I use WAZE for the map on the car's screen so I don't know if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is an image from tonight showing CarPlay displaying active map guidance while Sirius plays on the speakers. If you depress on the triangles on the right-hand side panel, next to the channel logo, you can go up or down Sirius channels. You can also change channels using the preset memories or using the tune up/tune down hard buttons. Instructions below the picture.

Map Gps navigation device Font Screenshot Technology

There surely are more ways than one to get to this status, but in my case:
(1) In settings, the CarPlay is set to not use the entire 10.25" display.
(2) The "Star" hard button is set to always bring CarPlay to the fore.
(3) Once the iPhone is plugged in and CarPlay displays, hit the MEDIA hard button.
(4) You can choose from among FM, or BT, or Sirius, or AM, etc.. Choose Sirius.
(5) Sirius takes over the left 2/3rds of the display. Sirius audio plays. Choose your channel.
(6) Depress the "Star" button and CarPlay displays on the left 2/3rds and on the right 1/3rd you get your standard weather or battery status or what have you.
(7) Scroll up or down until the 1/3rd right hand side displays Sirius as per my image.

On occasion after finishing using Sirius you may wish to hear audio playing from CarPlay, such as Spotify, or a podcast, etc., and you may find CarPlay displays it is playing but you get no audio. Simply unplug the USB wire, and plug it again and you'll get back CarPlay audio. Worst case scenario (happened to me once), restart the phone, turn off the car completely, and turn on the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Coming from a Hyundai 2020 Santa Fe, I can say that Kia should be borrowing from Hyundai here. The Santa Fe had a more informative XM screen and better CarPlay/XM split screen. Even my 2017 Santa Fe was better. (I do love my 2022 Niro EV, just not the infotainment system.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts