Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I love Car and Drivers 75 mph 200 mile out and back fuel economy runs. Unfortunately, both the 2017 Niro HEV and the 2018 Niro PHEV tests were done during the winter, which skews the results (42 mpg and 40 mpg respectively). It would be nice if they could have included other test data like temperature, and wind conditions. Even though they do a round trip which will negate head/tail winds to some extent, cross winds also damage fuel economy. For all I know, they adjust for temperature, but otherwise, I would hope summer fuel economy for the same test will be 10 percent better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
75 MPH? Your never in EV mode at that speed. That's my real world experience driving a LX and EX model, pfft..................

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
My LX often goes EV at just over 70 mph on cruise control. Not sure I understand your point though. Mpg figures are still relevant at 75 mph in hybrid mode. If you watch the flow diagram, the motor is often contributing, especially up hills at any speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My LX often goes EV at just over 70 mph on cruise control. Not sure I understand your point though. Mpg figures are still relevant at 75 mph in hybrid mode. If you watch the flow diagram, the motor is often contributing, especially up hills at any speed.
Nope, never went into EV mode at 70MPH, that's in NC with flat roads with two different Niro Models. I've had them go into EV at 65MPH with a slightly down grade road for a short time. 60 and below, EV when I do my part, very easy, even in a slight uphill grade. Oh well must be me even tho I do try hypermileing it in faster speeds..............................

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I certainly have nothing to do with the car going EV at 70, it always surprises me when I see it. The hills in my area are rather mild, but can sometimes be over a mile in length. That contributes to charging the battery. One thing I have noticed consistently is that when the battery charge is high, the car is much more likely to go into EV mode. If your battery is consistently below half full, your car is making choices different than my conditions.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nope, never went into EV mode at 70MPH, that's in NC with flat roads with two different Niro Models. I've had them go into EV at 65MPH with a slightly down grade road for a short time. 60 and below, EV when I do my part, very easy, even in a slight uphill grade. Oh well must be me even tho I do try hypermileing it in faster speeds..............................
My Niro went into EV a couple times yesterday @70MPH, only for ~15 seconds. I wasn't attempting hyper-miling, the car just "planed out" on a level road. Also one time that I noticed when my wife was driving at 70, didn't notice if it was in CC.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I probably didn't have enough charge to see EV at 70mph........................

1 - 8 of 8 Posts