Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do Niro owners without a cargo cover feel okay about that? I've always had hatchbacks with cargo covers as standard equipment so it's weird to me to just leave stuff in the back uncovered. I live in an urban area and often park on the street so maybe that's just my situation.

Is it fairly easy to buy and install an after-market version or the original part?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The OEM cargo cover is easy to "install", as it's designed to be easily installed and removed whenever you want it.

An aftermarket one, unless designed specifically for the Niro, is unlikely to fit properly.

My Niro came with the cargo cover - I thought it was standard, but maybe my dealer added it, I'd have to look at the old window sticker. It works well, I like it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not standard on the LX, for sure. I think I"m just going to have to buy it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On my EX Premium PHEV the rear window tint is sufficient to make the included cargo cover redundant. In fact, the tint is dark enough from the rear passenger windows back that I can't see anything inside at all under normal conditions.

Do other trims have different tint levels?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tint is pretty dark on my LX so it's not completely unsafe but I'm fairly certain that won't be enough in my neighborhood!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ours came with one and we removed it immediately. The back is small enough already and the cover takes space. (We came from a Prius V which had about a foot more space in the back. We also removed the Prius cargo cover.) I guess it depends on how much you want to carry and if it needs to be hidden.

·
Registered
420 Posts
It should be standard on the PHEV EX Premium (see the features page on the Kia web site). It was missing when I purchased mine but I didn't realize that until I got home with the new car. I let the dealer know that I expected them to make it right. They did, about a week later.

I've not felt the need to use it, yet, but I will want it when I start my Christmas shopping, and I'll also want it when I visit relatives and have luggage in the back.

·
Registered
179 Posts
When I bought my 2013 Mazda CX-5, I haggled with the dealer to include the cargo cover. Now it’s sitting in the garage somewhere. When you end up hauling big boxes or stuff from Home Depot that requires you to flip the backseats down, the cover gets in the way. And when we pack for road trips, our luggage is usually to the roof, so the cover wouldn’t help there either. It’s good to have if we really need it, but we hardly leave valuable stuff in the cargo area.

The Niro had it already included and it’s still in the car, but we haven’t used it yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well all of you cargo-cover owners that never use them can send one my way! I used to have hatchbacks before this car and they always had them. I take them off when I'm hauling plants or going camping or whatever but where I live, you're just asking for trouble if you leave *anything* visible in your trunk at night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was kind of surprised that my 2018 LX did not include a cargo cover.
But as with other hatchbacks I've owned - if I am parked in a public area
and have anything in the hatch area, I cover contents with an old bed sheet
that kind of makes things uninteresting to passer-byes.
I 'upgraded' for the 2018 - got a new 'Moving Blanket' from Harbor Freight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't feel the need for it. The tint is pretty dark (FE 2018 here). Unless you're trying to hide a light flash light... at night...

Edit: I don't know that Niro's are prime target for content interior robbers, but the single most important thing you can do is to not post those family cartoon stickers. This literally tells anyone what they are likely to find in your car and in your house, and if they need to plan to get rid of a dog in the process...

·
Super Moderator
538 Posts
Edit: I don't know that Niro's are prime target for content interior robbers, but the single most important thing you can do is to not post those family cartoon stickers. This literally tells anyone what they are likely to find in your car and in your house, and if they need to plan to get rid of a dog in the process...

If that is the case, then you need to use

·
Registered
150 Posts
If that is the case, then you need to use

hahaha, I've thought about putting an NRA sticker on my back window for that reason /forum/images/KiaNiroForum/smilies/tango_face_devil.png
That’s not a good idea here in Texas. We call them “steal me stickers”. Thieves target vehicles that have any audio equipment stickers or any gun organization or manufacturer stickers.

If you don’t want your vehicle to get broken into then don’t make your vehicle a target. Keep things hidden and out of sight. There is room around the spare tire to store items, and in my LX there is a lot of room under the front seats.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Both of my vehicles have lift gates in the back and both have cargo covers and I hardly ever use them. In fact, in my Mazda, it’s not even in the vehicle anymore. Admittedly, I hardly ever have anything in the back so I never have to worry about hiding it. I feel the cover is a double edged sword. Is a thief going to be more inclined to break into a car that has its cargo cover drawn because the owner is trying to hide something valuable?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts