Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a solution to get a CD player connected to the car speakers by USB or bluetooth through our new 2023 Niro. I get that there are better solutions, but this is my wife's car and she really wants the CD solution. I haven't seen any good solutions. Does anyone have any ideas that work?

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
USB isn't going to work. The car doesn't recognize the standard that the CD drive uses over USB. It only recognizes what it determines to be a storage drive, either a USB hard drive, thumb drive, or the storage within a phone/tablet when connected to USB. I've never seen a CD player with a Bluetooth output, but I won't say they don't exist.

· Registered
2023 Niro SX
46 Posts
Agreed; a CD player makes no sense. I haven't seen a CD player in a car in about 20 years. A 32 Gb mini flash drive barely protrudes from the USB Type-A port. I have been ripping CDs or downloading albums purchased on Amazon for more than 20 years. My entire music library is on the flash drive, about 60-70 hours of music.

These are available on Amazon.com for $10 or less. SAMSUNG 64GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive

The music player in the Niro has a nice UI, and the driver can control everything from the steering wheel, as well as see album art and what's playing. None of that would be possible with a CD drive.

· Registered
1,098 Posts

· Registered
2023 Niro SX
46 Posts
  • Where are you going to stick the CD player? ‎6.77 x 6.77 x 1.85 inches.
  • What if someone breaks into the car to steal the CD player?
  • How do you change CDs while driving?
  • $80 for the CD player or $10 for a flash drive that takes up almost no space.
Flash drive is a no-brainer.

· Registered
270 Posts
To each his own.

How many people own a computer with a CD drive these days? Plus it will take several hours to rip a decent collection of music on CDs. It’s not hard if you know what you’re doing and a one time job but it is time consuming and tedious.

How did we ever survive changing CDs in the car before? And which thief is going to steal a CD player out of a car? If it’s not mounted then throw it in the glove box or center bin when you get out of the car.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Vehicles previous to my Niro had CD players and I really liked that.
I am getting old and don't like change but I embraced the CD ripping and playing from USB and now I would never want to return to CD player.
So much easier to carry a boat load of CD's when it is all compressed into a very small form factor

· Administrator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,937 Posts
How did we ever survive changing CDs in the car before? And which thief is going to steal a CD player out of a car?
Apples and oranges comparing a CD player built into the dash and a separate player that might just be sitting on the console. Sure, pitch it in the glove box (assuming it fits with everything else in there), but it only takes one time that you don't bother and someone breaks into the car to take it. I agree we did just fine changing a CD in the dash. Heck, I remember changing the cartridge in my Mom's 4 track player in her '63 Dart (until Dad upgraded to 8 track).

Reactions: SDeemer

· Registered
193 Posts
My 12 year old Prius had a CD player that held 4 - 5 cd's (I forget) and since I had some CD's with mp3's it had lots of music on it. Since My niro PHEV didn't have C.D. (didn't even look for it and discovered after had posession).

Huh, color me surprised. Bluetooth CD players are a thing. I guess if you want to avoid the hassle of ripping CDs to a thumb drive this should work.
I actually have one of these (not the model but a portable cd player like this. This device connects to car system via a 3.5" Aux Jack. I don't believe there is one on Niro... And yes the cd player will connect to headphones via bluetooth so guess you can go that route, if it's legal in your state to use while driving (passengers can use)...

· Registered
270 Posts
My 12 year old Prius had a CD player that held 4 - 5 cd's (I forget) and since I had some CD's with mp3's it had lots of music on it. Since My niro PHEV didn't have C.D. (didn't even look for it and discovered after had posession).

I actually have one of these (not the model but a portable cd player like this. This device connects to car system via a 3.5" Aux Jack. I don't believe there is one on Niro... And yes the cd player will connect to headphones via bluetooth so guess you can go that route, if it's legal in your state to use while driving (passengers can use)...
Will your Niro connect to your CD player if you put it into pairing mode?

· Registered
193 Posts
Will your Niro connect to your CD player if you put it into pairing mode?
I'm sorry, had to go and dig it out of tech box of things I don't use and it's not bluetooth... Guess it's kind of old... GPX MP3 player... I did try to set it up and discovered didn't have anywhere to connect it to my 2022 phev (that's when I just took all music and put it on a usb drive).

· Registered
2017 Niro LX
9 Posts
External CD drive for computer, rip CD to iTunes, use Apple CarPlay to play music.

My previous two cars had CD/DVD drives, but I literally never used them except that one time to see if I could play a movie DVD while driving. Which I could, and did, and then never touched the optical drive again.

Music CDs in vinyl folders... might as well drive a collection of Blue Amberol cylinders around ;)

· Registered
2023 Niro SX
46 Posts
I had to look up "Blue Amberol cylinders." We had some old black Edison cylinders in the house I grew up in. I remember putting one on a crankable spindle (probably built from Erector Set parts), and using a sewing needle and a paper cone to "play back" some of what was on it. It sounded horrible. Shellac 78's weren't much better.

One bored winter about 15 years ago, I plugged my old turntable into a receiver, then plugged a 3.5mm jack into a port on the back of my computer, and spent several weeks ripping LPs. The software I used allowed me to edit out most of the scratches, pops, and clicks, but it was tedious work. The music from those LPs now resides on the flash drive in the car. I balked at adding metadata on a track-by-track basis, but I was able to find cover art for every album.

· Registered
2017 Niro LX
9 Posts
iTunes is pretty good at recognizing the music and adding the metadata. And sometimes it's hilariously wrong.
(Yes, there's other programs serving the same purpose, but I forgot what they were ;)
They make USB turntables that let you rip directly, with better results than using the 3.5mm jack.
Some CDs I had to delete from my iTunes collection and re-rip them because what was "good enough" 20 years ago, is ludicrously bad today.
There's also TONS of stuff on archive.org for when you want to listen to old timey radio but don't wanna spend the 8 bucks a month on SXM and/or can't stand Greg Bell's voice or the ads on ch148.

· Registered
2023 Niro SX
46 Posts
It was a one-time project. Playing LPs on the turntable through a Hi-Fi receiver, and then outputting to the computer worked fine.

Brewster Kahle's Internet Archive is an amazing project. In 2006, I rode a motorcycle from GA to AK and back, and blogged about it along the way. The web site was on my job workspace, and when I retired, the trip log disappeared.

The Internet Archive came to the rescue: https://web.archive.org/web/2007082...rvice.emory.edu/~libssd/Alaska2006/index.html

· Registered
2021 Niro PHEV EX
122 Posts
This is quite a bit more involved to set up but once the work's done, it works seamlessly like a pay streaming service:

1. Subsonic - ripped CDs, purchased music etc. in music collection
2. Port forward inbound from the home Internet to the Subsonic server, plus DNS - dynamic or static, and
3. DSub for Subsonic - Apps on Google Play

While it's possible to stream anything from the collection, I usually cache entire playlists in the phone. DSub is one of a few Android Subsonic client apps with decent support for Android Auto. SubMuxic, another, is a fork of DSub. I forget the name of it, but my wife installed a similar Subsonic client on her iPhone that works well with CarPlay.

I don't recommend the original Subsonic server, as it's no longer maintained. It's just what I already had. It has flexible transcoding support for nice 64 Kbps Opus streams that sound great and sip the mobile data, and links to Last FM to dynamically create "radio stations" with similar artists, using one's own collection. There are also many other Subsonic API-compatible server choices, some completely free such as Ampache - Music Streaming Server

We're still in our three-month trial of SiriusXM and discovered a channel we both like. Turns out we already have most of the tunes they play in our collection, no surprise there. I created a sizable playlist in Subsonic named the same as that channel, and just hit "shuffle" in the car.

· Registered
2022 Kia Niro EV Premium
2 Posts
I am looking for a solution to get a CD player connected to the car speakers by USB or bluetooth through our new 2023 Niro. I get that there are better solutions, but this is my wife's car and she really wants the CD solution. I haven't seen any good solutions. Does anyone have any ideas that work?
Same issue here with lots of books and music on CD. You CAN do it. I bought one on Amazon with USB connection. Works like a DREAM!!! Don't let anybody tell you it can't be done!:devilish::cool::cool:
I bought one on amazon that connects with USB. There are several options! It CAN be done!😊

· Registered
2018 Niro EX Premium (Canada)
54 Posts
Ripping CDs to MP3 uses algorithms to compress the files so the sound quality isn't as good.
My wife has a portable rechargeable Bluetooth CD player. Single CD.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts