Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how hard it is the remove the centre console armrest parts to exchange the rather bad USB charging port with one that actually works better?

I have a 2018 HEV model so I understand that the 12v battery inside the car is not the biggest and it basically there to power the computer and run small 12v devices inside the car. As it's size is quite small, I wonder if the USB port that is located in the armrest is sized to be rather small output? I don't have a USB power tester to see how many amps are actually being given off when you plug your phone into it, but with my older LG G5, it seems that having the screen turned on was enough to draw more power than what the USB charger was giving out.

I have now got a new Pixel 2 phone, and thought it might be an idea to remove the terrible port from the inside of the armrest and replace it with something like https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07LFCJ52Z/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A3B1HIKEICFRGA&psc=1 so that both my old or new phone would have a far better port to charge from. At the same time, I would wonder if it makes more sense to run a new cable from the charge port to one of the unused 15amp fused sockets so that the charge point is definitely on its own line. I don't know if the USB port there now is also tied into anything else and upping the potential power output would cause any issues.

It is not like I use my car as a recharge point for my phone. it is more that when you take a longer trip it would be handy, or if you forget to charge and need the phone, having it be able to give you a boost charge to bring you up from near dead to 60% would be really handy.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've gone cheapest and easiest way: cigar lighter USB adapter two double high power gives you 4 high power USB ports for mobile device high speed charging...that is for phonesand tablets: mine, wifes', kids'

nothing to dismount, no risk of messing with electric wiring impacting eventually the waranty...

·
Super Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have one of those, but was thinking of changing the built in one for two reasons.

1. cable management. I can route cables far easier from the arm rest side especially for the people who sit in the back seat and demand that they have power.
2. the unit that I linked to has a power dispay on it so it also gives me some insight as to the state of the battery

I did find a description of how to take out the whole middle floor console, but I am not sure if I really need to take the whole thing out. if it is easy enough just to remover the small box part that the charge point is in, then I likely will do the project. otherwise it is a whole load of work for really a small advantage.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You could easily run a power wire from the fuse box to the console and possibly use the same ground it had or ground it somewhere. Should be simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've thought about rewiring the USB port inside the console to connect to the head unit for CarPlay. It would be nice to hide the phone in there. I am too lazy and will never do it though :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts