Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not satisfied with the 'ride' of the factory Michelin Energy saving tires. I want a more comfortable, "cushy" feel like the Touring tires on my Toyota Camry...they are Michelin Primacy tires.
If i were to change out the tires for these Michelin Primacy.....how much mpg's do you guess. Would I have to sacrifice?

jpear

·
Registered
6 Posts
0.5mpg? Barely any difference?

The energy saver tires are just low rolling resistance, harder compound and maybe slightly lighter?

I thought of swapping but not worth the money or trouble. The camry is probably more cushy because of the suspension setup, not the tires.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You might also want check you tire pressure. Lowering the pressure will give a more "cushy" ride, but will sacrifice 1 or 2 mpg. Just don't go to low.

I haven't even checked mine. I am actually going to up the pressure on mine to increase mpg.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Touring version has Michelin Primacy tires and the MPG difference is noticeable. Obviously the touring 18 in rims are larger and wider than the 16in rims.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just changed from a Ford Fusion Hybrid to a Niro. On the Ford, I changed from the Michelins to Goodyears supposed fuel saving tires. I lost 4 mpg. (44.4 lifetime average to close to 40 mpg through 1500 miles)

Tires make a huge difference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You might also want check you tire pressure. Lowering the pressure will give a more "cushy" ride, but will sacrifice 1 or 2 mpg. Just don't go to low.

I haven't even checked mine. I am actually going to up the pressure on mine to increase mpg.
Nixon- somewhere in the owners manual it says you can add 3PSI to tires in the winter. Says, I think, tires lose 1 PSI for every drop of 12 degrees in ambient temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tires make a huge difference. On my old Prius I changed to 17" wheels and wider tires. While the car handled much better, it destroyed my MPG - MPG went from low 50s to upper to mid 30s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put my winter snow tires on a couple of weeks ago and haven’t noticed much change in MPG. They are a bit noisier riding however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts