Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not satisfied with the 'ride' of the factory Michelin Energy saving tires. I want a more comfortable, "cushy" feel like the Touring tires on my Toyota Camry...they are Michelin Primacy tires.
If i were to change out the tires for these Michelin Primacy.....how much mpg's do you guess. Would I have to sacrifice?

jpear

·
Registered
6 Posts
0.5mpg? Barely any difference?

The energy saver tires are just low rolling resistance, harder compound and maybe slightly lighter?

I thought of swapping but not worth the money or trouble. The camry is probably more cushy because of the suspension setup, not the tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You might also want check you tire pressure. Lowering the pressure will give a more "cushy" ride, but will sacrifice 1 or 2 mpg. Just don't go to low.

I haven't even checked mine. I am actually going to up the pressure on mine to increase mpg.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Touring version has Michelin Primacy tires and the MPG difference is noticeable. Obviously the touring 18 in rims are larger and wider than the 16in rims.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just changed from a Ford Fusion Hybrid to a Niro. On the Ford, I changed from the Michelins to Goodyears supposed fuel saving tires. I lost 4 mpg. (44.4 lifetime average to close to 40 mpg through 1500 miles)

Tires make a huge difference.

·
Registered
227 Posts
You might also want check you tire pressure. Lowering the pressure will give a more "cushy" ride, but will sacrifice 1 or 2 mpg. Just don't go to low.

I haven't even checked mine. I am actually going to up the pressure on mine to increase mpg.
Nixon- somewhere in the owners manual it says you can add 3PSI to tires in the winter. Says, I think, tires lose 1 PSI for every drop of 12 degrees in ambient temp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tires make a huge difference. On my old Prius I changed to 17" wheels and wider tires. While the car handled much better, it destroyed my MPG - MPG went from low 50s to upper to mid 30s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put my winter snow tires on a couple of weeks ago and haven’t noticed much change in MPG. They are a bit noisier riding however.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not satisfied with the 'ride' of the factory Michelin Energy saving tires. I want a more comfortable, "cushy" feel like the Touring tires on my Toyota Camry...they are Michelin Primacy tires.
If i were to change out the tires for these Michelin Primacy.....how much mpg's do you guess. Would I have to sacrifice?

jpear
I wonder what type of Niro you have? You mentioned that you would like Michelin primacy. My 2019 EV came with Michelin primacy‘s from the Kia manufacturer. And this was just the base version of the vehicle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree with others that the your Camry cushy ride is more a function of the car than the tire.
I had Niro test drives of over 100 miles with both 16" & 18" wheels. 18s were definitely louder & harsher riding!!!
My Niro came with 16" Mich Energy Saver AS tires. I felt that the ride was smooth & quiet at factory 36 psi. But living in Seattle I wanted a great rain tire which the OEMs are not. I was less concerned about MPGs. The Mich Energy Saver AS has a wide spread reputation for being one of the most fuel efficient tires available.
I switched to Continental TrueContact Tour & drove them for 30 days. Then I switched to Michelin Premier AS.
Of the three the OEM Energy Savers were the most quiet & comfortable
The difference between the TrueContacts or Premier AS is very subtle, but I think the Premier AS are more comfortable.
With both aftermarket tires, it seemed like they got smoother after they had a few hundred miles on them.
Best place for tire info is TireRack.com. With tires there is always a trade off between ride, handling (wet & dry), noise, mpg. But in the end, it is YOUR ears and the seat of YOUR pants that is the best judge. Unfortunately, it is expensive to try a variety of tires.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Brand new tires are stiff, so your perceptions after a few hundred miles are correct. It is expensive and/or a hassle to try new tires. I spend a couple hours reading reviews on TireRack before buying new tires and since quiet tires are most of my focus, narrative comments about noise really influenced choice. Worked big time for me!

For the Niro, I've read enough reviews from Ioniq and Niro owners who have switched to know the OEM tire has the best combination of attributes, noise, comfort, longevity, and efficiency. So no further research need Yes, wet performance is not so good, but the car is so well balanced that traction loss is easy to compensate. Goes for winter as well - had a fun time in a parking lot trying to induce an uncontrollable slide. Couldn't do it. With prior cars it was easy to do 180s before I could correct.

·
Registered
378 Posts
> I spend a couple hours reading reviews on TireRack before buying new tires and since quiet tires are most of my focus, narrative comments about noise really influenced choice. Worked big time for me! >>
So what tires did you end up getting?

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
The tires I got for the car I no longer have are no longer being made. Frustrating to find a great tire and they not available 80,000 miles later when you need replacements. Doesn't look like that will happen with the OEM Michelins, but it could. Right now with the pandemic, it looks like 80,000 miles is a long way off at 200 miles a month.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts