Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my 2020 Niro EV now for about a month or so, and pretty happy with it so far, but there are a couple of annoyances with the primary one being the charge port door locking function.

Its irritating as **** to have it always lock unless I'm right there to unlock it. Why wouldn't it just unlock once the car is fully charged? Why wouldn't it be an option to lock the door automatically or just leave it unlocked all the time, which would be my preference. All 3 of my previous EV's had the option to just keep the port unlocked. Its not just annoying at home when me or the wife go out to switch the charge cable from one of our EV's to the other, but also seems unfair when public charging and the car is done charging, to not release the cable for somebody else to use.

Anyone figure out a way around this? Is there a dedicated charge port door lock fuse i could pull or wire I could cut?

Edit:. Problem solved. Didn't realize the "auto" button on the left side was for this.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Seems like a feature. If you are using your own cable, it prevents it from being stolen. Can’t defend the public charging part.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose a simple auto lock on/off button would have been too much to ask? Any chance Kia can implement this feature on the app and update cars to have this ability? I know its not a Tesla, but i'm still hoping little things like this can be done.

Also, what kind of site censors out the word h e l l ? Can't we just assume everyone here is an adult?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My PHEV has a button that controls the auto lock on the charging cord. I need to play with it again because it was working fine for a while and I could unplug when it was done charging without having to unlock the doors, but now I have to unlock the doors (even if they aren't locked to start with) to unplug. Hubby probably changed it.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
What Beth said. There's a button on the dash that changes the way it locks. With it off, the cable remains locked at all times, until you unlock the car. This is so someone can't walk off with your portable EVSE. With the button on, the cable is locked until the battery is charged, and then it's unlocked so someone else can use the cable.

Many forums now have software that eliminates all sorts of words. On the Roku forum, you can use the word lawsuit. Really silly some of the words that are blocked.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just to be sure, the topic name is "charge port door lock", i.e. the door itself...

but the first sentence is in conflict with that idea: why does it not unlock when fully charged, which implies unlocking the charging cable from the port.

Which are you talking about the door itself, or releasing the charging cable that is plugged in?

Greg

·
Registered
2020 PHEV EX Cerulean Blue
29 Posts
My PHEV has a button that controls the auto lock on the charging cord.
The 2020 PHEV has an AUTO button that will automatically unlock the cable when finished charging. I know that works, but have not figured out all the other locking logic for either the door or the cable.
Page H6 in the PHEV manual, don't know about EV manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to be sure, the topic name is "charge port door lock", i.e. the door itself...

but the first sentence is in conflict with that idea: why does it not unlock when fully charged, which implies unlocking the charging cable from the port.

Which are you talking about the door itself, or releasing the charging cable that is plugged in?

Greg
My bad.... I'm talking about the charging cable lock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kingkos, were you able to find the button to press to activate the unlock when done charging feature? If not, look in your manual on page 1-17
Ahhhhhhh, thanks Beth. I thought that button was about setting the car to charge at certain times. Problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, how about the door that covers the charging port? We just bought a 2020 EX PHEV and can't get the darned charger door open. We bought it on a saturday and the sales guys at the dealership couldn't figure it out either. What I read in the manual says approximately - "press the brake and then apply the parking brake. turn off all switches and turn off the car. unlock doors. press the thumbprint on the charger door and it should release". No luck - there is no room to push it in, it seems like it's all the way in already. I also tried tugging on the orange knob near the front of the engine compartment but I think this is a manual release for the charger cable. So we''ve got a pretty niro in the driveway but can't access the EV only features yet because the battery is mostly discharged. Dealership is 2 hours away and we work weekdays. Might need to take a day off just to get the frustrating little door to open

Your advice is most appreciated. I don't want to bugger it up by prying etc.

Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,880 Posts
The car must be unlocked to open the charging door, nothing else. Unless something changed from '19 to '20, you just push in the back side of the charge door (that would be the edge closest to the driver's door) and it pops open far enough to use a finger behind the door to fully open it. If it's stuck for some reason, I believe there's a emergency release under the hood. But I haven't actually looked for it, as I've never had a problem opening mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've started to have this same problem with my 2019 Niro PHEV. After a bit of driving, we'll try to open the port door and it won't release. Unlocking, turning the car on and off, locking and unlocking again doesn't seem to solve it. But it is relatively easy to strain the plastic and slide the metal cover off, then press down on the locking hasp to open the inner port cover. That seemed to be the tedious hack workaround until tonight when the cable wouldn't slot into the receptacle. Apparently the device that locks the door shut also locks the cable receptacle to the port.

The thing that has changed recently is that we've gotten a heavier Wallbox Level 2 charger and have been using it instead of the much lighter, stock KIA level one charger.

Any insight or thoughts on how to resolve will be deeply appreciated!

OK, how about the door that covers the charging port? We just bought a 2020 EX PHEV and can't get the darned charger door open. We bought it on a saturday and the sales guys at the dealership couldn't figure it out either. What I read in the manual says approximately - "press the brake and then apply the parking brake. turn off all switches and turn off the car. unlock doors. press the thumbprint on the charger door and it should release". No luck - there is no room to push it in, it seems like it's all the way in already. I also tried tugging on the orange knob near the front of the engine compartment but I think this is a manual release for the charger cable. So we''ve got a pretty niro in the driveway but can't access the EV only features yet because the battery is mostly discharged. Dealership is 2 hours away and we work weekdays. Might need to take a day off just to get the frustrating little door to open

Your advice is most appreciated. I don't want to bugger it up by prying etc.

Thanks much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts