Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone else has had their Level 2 Charger melt in the charging port of the car. KIA claims this has never ever happened ever, and mine is the only one they have ever seen happen. They are charging $2700 to replace the charging port of the car.
2021 Niro ev

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
145 Posts
It's common - usually with Mustart brand chargers from amazon. Konas and Bolts suffer from this just the same.

Whatever charger you use needs to be UL or Intertek certified.

Clipper Creek, Grizzl-e, Charge point, Webasto, Bosch, Wallbox, Juicebox, etc are all UL or intertek certified and shouldn't cause issues.

It sucks but unfortunately you're most likely on the hook to replace the charge port if you had an unrated charger.

·
Registered
2022 Niro PHEV Deep Cerulean Blue
109 Posts
Looking to see if anyone else has had their Level 2 Charger melt in the charging port of the car. KIA claims this has never ever happened ever, and mine is the only one they have ever seen happen. They are charging $2700 to replace the charging port of the car.
2021 Niro ev
What brand was your Level 2 Charger and when was it purchased? Was it purchased at a Kia Dealer?

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
432 Posts
I would echo the postings above.

Many on our forum guffaw when someone mentions you should never purchase a charger unless it is UL certified. It is absolutely critical a charger meet this requirement.

Thank goodness only the plug melted and no one was injured.

If this had caused a house fire and the Insurance Investigator found a homeowner installed/using a non UL certified unit there could be problems with the insurance company reimbursing the homeowner for damages.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Since all electric cars and even PHEV's are new technology to alot of people I think the manufactures need to do a better job educating people not only about the car but things people buy to use their cars like cords, chargers ect. Does Kia or anybody give people a special booklet to educate buyers about their cars and warnings not to buy inferior products?

·
Registered
13 Posts
2021 Niro ev
I'm sorry for that really expensive mishap! Perhaps I've gone a bit overboard, but after purchasing my 2022 Kia Touring last winter I decided to never chance plugging anything into the charger unless it was for a last resort/emergency.

I do use the Wireless Charger that came with the car for my phone but for every other battery/USB/12V-driven application I bought a JACKERY 240 Power Station, a small, 6lb, easily transportable battery with USB/12V/AC outlets, that holds a charge for a year and is chargeable by either plugging it into a wall outlet or a solar panel. I store it behind the front passenger's seat where it's an easy reach for me to remove and recharge in the garage every few weeks.

My guilty secret is that my Niro Touring came with practically every bell and whistle I wanted except heated/cooling seats and sliding into its Syntex seats during the winter turned out to be a pretty chilly experience. I found heated/airconditioned seat covers on Amazon that run on 12V and are pretty amazing. The seat covers match the color/look/feel/texture of my car's dark gray/black Syntex seats and coordinate with the original equipment.

The JACKERY 240 powers the seat covers very well and I never have to chance blowing up/melting down my battery system. I no longer need to run the car's heat in the winter, I just power up the seat cover and I'm warm and saving additional MPG - sweet!

·
Registered
'20 Niro EV EX Prem
145 Posts
I'm sorry for that really expensive mishap! Perhaps I've gone a bit overboard, but after purchasing my 2022 Kia Touring last winter I decided to never chance plugging anything into the charger unless it was for a last resort/emergency.

I do use the Wireless Charger that came with the car for my phone but for every other battery/USB/12V-driven application I bought a JACKERY 240 Power Station, a small, 6lb, easily transportable battery with USB/12V/AC outlets, that holds a charge for a year and is chargeable by either plugging it into a wall outlet or a solar panel. I store it behind the front passenger's seat where it's an easy reach for me to remove and recharge in the garage every few weeks.

My guilty secret is that my Niro Touring came with practically every bell and whistle I wanted except heated/cooling seats and sliding into its Syntex seats during the winter turned out to be a pretty chilly experience. I found heated/airconditioned seat covers on Amazon that run on 12V and are pretty amazing. The seat covers match the color/look/feel/texture of my car's dark gray/black Syntex seats and coordinate with the original equipment.

The JACKERY 240 powers the seat covers very well and I never have to chance blowing up/melting down my battery system. I no longer need to run the car's heat in the winter, I just power up the seat cover and I'm warm and saving additional MPG - sweet!
We're referring to the J1772/CCS port that charges the entire Niro EV - not the USB ports inside.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So to answer a couple of questions: we had an aerovironment (round green one that Chevy recommended when we bought out 2018 volt which was professionally installed). All we have gotten from Kia Motors North America is that “their engineers are looking into it” and absolutely no way to contact anyone there or ever get a follow up. Luckily our local dealership is wonderful and are trying their absolute best to help us out but are also able to get nowhere with Corporate. They will not put in writing that it is 100% the chargers fault, so not impressed by them at all.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There may be a way to get a forensic analysis of the issue if you still have all the parts i.e. damaged car charger port, charger, cables and charge connector. Might or might not be worth the trouble, though. Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Still thinking about this. You know, this is not great to hear. Kia should be accommodating for many reasons. The port and associated electronics simply can't be that expensive to produce. And it's just good business to keep a customer satisfied. The publicity here (and elsewhere) regarding issues such as these can't be good.

How about your insurance's comprehensive coverage? In any case, $2700 feels wayyy out of line. You can get an entire automatic transmission or engine rebuilt for that in many cases.

BTW the port melting is likely due to a poor connection in the charger's plug, which caused the end of the plug to heat up, melting the plastic on the plug and car's port. Either that or a poor connection in the car's charger port. I would bet on the former. If the issue was a short, it most likely would have tripped a fuse or circuit breaker before so much damage occurred. Just "educated" guesses here.

FYI A pin on a plug that isn't making a good connection or a wire inside the plug that's not close to full-gauge - often due to a poor connection to the plug's pin(s) or fraying of the wires from strain over time - can cause the plug/socket to heat up - a lot of current trying to flow through a section of wire that's too small or a connector that's not making good contact. This is why the charger's plug is more suspect. It gets moved/flexed often, and the construction of the pins and/or connection of wires to those pins can be to a lower standard than those in the car. And if the plug's cable strain-relief isn't good, the wire can twist in the plug and loosen/fray the wire's connection to the plug's pins. Make no mistake: when theres a lot of current involved, as there is here, the connection can get VERY hot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well. Finally heard from Kia corporate. They are issuing a $974 check and consider the case closed. I am out of energy to fight this and so this will be the end of me owning a Kia niro when the repairs are completed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts