Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Niro PHEV. I noticed that the charging plug in Niro does not allow me to charge at the fast charge stations and I am stuck charging at 240V stations which can be slow relatively speaking. Is it possible to buy an adapter to use these fast charge stations? ( I noticed a Tesla owner using an adapter to charge at a non-Tesla charging station ).

·
Registered
2022 Niro EV EX Premium
8 Posts
I don’t think that’s going to work. The “fast” stations are DC fast chargers. The power supplied is direct current. The 120-240 socket you have on your car is meant to take alternating current. The car contains the circuitry to convert that to direct current.

In other words, DC fast charging is s completely different animal. The difference between Level 1 charging (120 volts) and Level 2 (240 volts) is simply a difference in voltage. The difference between Levels 1 and 2 and DC fast charging (sometimes erroneously referred to as Level 3) is a difference in charging method.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
There are almost no PHEVs on the market that support DC Fast Charging. The Mitsubishi Outlander is the only one I'm aware of, at least what's currently on the market. Because of the small size of the PHEV battery, there's little to gain adding the DCFC complexity and cost.

No, there's no adapter to allow using DCFC on a vehicle that doesn't support it. As mentioned, it's two completely different methods of charging, and requires the specific connector on the car to allow it to work, as well as different hardware within the car to control the charge. The Tesla adapter you noticed was to allow connecting a Tesla to a Level 2 J1772 connection, not to use a non-Tesla DCFC station. There are one or two DCC2-Tesla adapters (the one available in the US doesn't come from Tesla), but they're really expensive and don't work with all models of Teslas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts