Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2019 Kia Niro PHEV. I use just the L1 charger that came along with the car to charge.

Over the last few days, car just stops charging within a few minutes (< 2 miles accrued).
  • The charger shows it has power, but isn't charging the car.
  • I pull the charger and replug it in, still does not work.
  • I disconnect and reconnect the power cable (that the charger cable is plugged into) and that restarts charging...only to stop again soon.
Given this, it sounds like my charger cable is at fault? I don't doubt my electric outlet/cable providing power because the charger display clearly shows it has power but does NOT charge.

I had the same problem happen a few months ago but it auto-corrected in a couple of days. This time around it has been going on for longer and I find it quite frustrating.

FWIW, this is a leased vehicle (leased in Nov 2019), unsure if investigation and charger cable replacement would be covered in a standard new car lease that is just 1.5 years into the lease?

Appreciate any pointers!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Niro PHEV EX Premium
1,749 Posts
I'd first try reducing the power draw. By default it's set to full power, which is 12 amps. If your circuit is marginal in any way, it might be tripping something in the EVSE. There's a button on the EVSE somewhere (never really looked mine over), I think on the back, and you can cycle it through full and lower power levels. I believe it has 12, 10 and 8 amps. Naturally, the lower the setting the longer it takes to charge. I only used the factory EVSE for about a month before I installed a Level 2 EVSE in my garage.

Your car is still under warranty, so yes that would be covered if it is truly defective. But before going to the dealer, I'd try both reducing the charge level and also try using a different circuit. If every outlet in your parking area is on the same circuit, try to find some other place to use as a test. My guess is you're going to find it's not the EVSE, but you need to do a little troubleshooting first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply @atc98092. Unfortunately, no dice -- it is interesting that the charge stops at 2mile mark always.
  1. I tried multiple electrical outlets (although using the same extension cord) and had the charging stop after a few minutes again.
  2. I am unable to find anyway to control the electrical draw from the home-charger (that came with the car). I tried to look through the manual as well but did not find any mention of being able to reduce the electrical draw.
The extension cord I am using is rated 14guage -- is it possible that the cord could be at fault? The home charger does show it has power just fine (like I had mentioned earlier), but reading online the higher gauge of the cord seems not quite recommended.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an electrical outlet where the home-charger can get plugged in without an extension cord -- so at this time I think my options are:
  1. Try to find a spot (perhaps at dealer/service center?) where the home-charger can be tested.
  2. Try to get a 12gauge extension cord and try it out.
Would love to hear if there are any other thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
14 gauge is rated for 15 amps, so a full 12 amp draw is at its limit. Depending on the length of the extension cord, that might be an issue.

The button to change the charging level on the EVSE isn't easy to find. As I recall it's almost just a soft spot on the back of the unit that can be pressed in. It's not an obvious button.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turned out to be the extension cord after all. Changed it and the car has been charging fine. Thanks for the pointer in that direction!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It turned out to be the extension cord after all. Changed it and the car has been charging fine. Thanks for the pointer in that direction!
I would love to know what kind of extension cord you found that works? I have been having this problem and tried several diff cords, including a PHEV-specific charging extension cable!

·
Registered
220 Posts
@LVogel, have you tried your charger without the extension cord to confirm it is the extension cord?

I've only used the L1 a few times that came with the car. But on my last car appointment 1 week ago the dealer replaced my L1 car charger under a recall.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@LVogel, have you tried your charger without the extension cord to confirm it is the extension cord?

I've only used the L1 a few times that came with the car. But on my last car appointment 1 week ago the dealer replaced my L1 car charger under a recall.
Thanks; yes I've tested the L1 directly once myself when I was in a place that it could reach and it completed charging without stopping. I also took it to be tested at the dealership and they said it worked but it wasn't charged all the way when I picked it up, and I couldn't get an answer as to whether they unplugged it early or whether maybe it did trip after they showed me the pic that it was charging.

What year is your PHEV? I can call Kia service directly and ask about the recall. I was using a commercial extension cord (I think it was a 10 gauge?) with no problem for over a year, and all of a sudden it stopped. The outlet is fine, the extension cord itself also works for other things so I thought it was the L1 charger itself, but since I did get it to work once, I am not sure. I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
@LVogel an electrical outlet and/or extension cord could still work but have a fault that is tripping the EVSE. If the ground connection is less than robust that could cause a problem. Since your EVSE appears to work fine without the extension cord, that seems to point to the cord itself. I doubt your extension cord was 10 gauge, as that's a 30 amp rating and would most likely really large and heavy. But since it's a commercial grade, it's certainly possible.

Have you tried lowering the current level on the EVSE and see if it still trips? There's a rather hidden button on the EVSE somewhere, and I believe you can also limit the current in a setting in the car as well. Drop it from 12 amps to 10 or 8 and see if it still fails to charge. It will take longer to charge, but if that works then it's almost certainly something with the cord.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@LVogel an electrical outlet and/or extension cord could still work but have a fault that is tripping the EVSE. If the ground connection is less than robust that could cause a problem. Since your EVSE appears to work fine without the extension cord, that seems to point to the cord itself. I doubt your extension cord was 10 gauge, as that's a 30 amp rating and would most likely really large and heavy. But since it's a commercial grade, it's certainly possible.

Have you tried lowering the current level on the EVSE and see if it still trips? There's a rather hidden button on the EVSE somewhere, and I believe you can also limit the current in a setting in the car as well. Drop it from 12 amps to 10 or 8 and see if it still fails to charge. It will take longer to charge, but if that works then it's almost certainly something with the cord.
Thank you - I'll try searching again for the EVSE button (could not find it when I looked initially!) I also purchased this extension cord and the same thing happened: Amazon.com: Lectron 40ft/12m J1772 Extension Cable Compatible with All J1772 EV Chargers - Flexible Charging for Your Electric Vehicle: Automotive

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
40 foot is an awfully long extension cord. When I used one with my EVSE for a couple of weeks before I installed a Level 2 charger, it was only 25' at most. OK, I see that's not a 120v volt extension cable, but instead has J1772 connectors at both ends. It's still quite long, and perhaps the 120v EVSEs aren't strong enough to use a cable like this. I do see in the comments that it works for some users, though. Perhaps it's simply the Kia EVSE that isn't capable of using such a long cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
40 foot is an awfully long extension cord. When I used one with my EVSE for a couple of weeks before I installed a Level 2 charger, it was only 25' at most. OK, I see that's not a 120v volt extension cable, but instead has J1772 connectors at both ends. It's still quite long, and perhaps the 120v EVSEs aren't strong enough to use a cable like this. I do see in the comments that it works for some users, though. Perhaps it's simply the Kia EVSE that isn't capable of using such a long cable.
I wondered about that as well, as the 10-gauge extension cord was also quite long. I just don't have an outlet closer, and am considering having one installed. Trying to isolate the problem so I can best solve for it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks; yes I've tested the L1 directly once myself when I was in a place that it could reach and it completed charging without stopping. I also took it to be tested at the dealership and they said it worked but it wasn't charged all the way when I picked it up, and I couldn't get an answer as to whether they unplugged it early or whether maybe it did trip after they showed me the pic that it was charging.

What year is your PHEV? I can call Kia service directly and ask about the recall. I was using a commercial extension cord (I think it was a 10 gauge?) with no problem for over a year, and all of a sudden it stopped. The outlet is fine, the extension cord itself also works for other things so I thought it was the L1 charger itself, but since I did get it to work once, I am not sure. I appreciate your help.
My Niro is a 2019.

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
13 Posts
That extension is perfectly fine for charging. In fact, it is easier for the L1 EVSE to use that cord because the current is so low compared to the cord's rating. It is the current (amps) which determines the voltage drop of a given cord, not the voltage itself. The larger the conductors in a cord the easier it is for the current to flow resulting in a lower voltage drop across the cord.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
All accurate. But it's still a rather long cable. You'll notice that almost all EVSEs have cables of 25' or less. And I have seen a voltage drop on long cables, regardless of the current being drawn. But no, with the size of this cable it shouldn't be an issue at that voltage and current.

·
Registered
6 Posts
All accurate. But it's still a rather long cable. You'll notice that almost all EVSEs have cables of 25' or less. And I have seen a voltage drop on long cables, regardless of the current being drawn. But no, with the size of this cable it shouldn't be an issue at that voltage and current.
I tried using my 10 gauge extension cord and lowered the EVSE to 10, then 8 and it still tripped, very quickly, each time. I've also called Kia Consumer Affairs; they say there are no recalls for my vehicle/charger and offered no replacement or other advice. I'm at a loss and super frustrated. Any other advice welcome.

·
Registered
2020 Red Kia Niro EV EX Premium, 2020 White Kia Niro EV EX Premium
13 Posts
And I have seen a voltage drop on long cables, regardless of the current being drawn.
I didn't say there was no voltage drop, just that it would be lower than with a smaller gauge wire. Voltage drop is dependent on current draw. The 12A limit of the L1 EVSE which comes with the car will have a significantly lower voltage drop on a given cable than when drawing 40A or even the 32A that the Niro EV can draw.

I have been using a similar 40' J1772 cable for six years and have had absolutely no issues with it. I have used it with currents between 6A and 32A and voltages between 110VAC and 240VAC. The problem with using a standard AC extension cord is if it is unplugged and plugged in daily as most cord ends and many wall plugs were not designed for that use. The contact pressure reduces over time creating a high resistance connection leading to faults with the EVSE or car or possibly melted cords.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts