Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new 2017 Launch Edition, when I went to test drive the Check Engine light was on, and the car was sputtering. Not sure what it was, so said I can't take this for a test drive like this! 3 hrs later, the check engine light was off and the car ran fine.
Left the dealership, abut 50 miles later, the car felt as if it lost power, 2 times, but was still able to drive till about 200 miles, then I got a check engine light that was solid, only 200 miles!
Brought to dealer said there were 7 recalls, and that I had no active warranty, they could not work on till it was active.
Today was told I was all set, should give me an update in morning.
Not sure why check engine light was on, or came on no hybrid warning lights. hmmm
:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're already experiencing issues on your new car. Don't think I would have left the dealer, even if they managed to wipe the error code. Did they give you an idea on how long it would take to have all these recalls completed?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Piece of crap dealer! Why would they not perform seven recall actions before releasing a new car to the owner? That could actually be criminal.

And why on earth would you buy a car misbehaving so badly you cannot test drive it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
They probably didn't do the recalls because they need an owner before they can get paid. Notice they wouldn't do the recalls until it was officially under warranty. They want their money for doing the recalls.

I probably wouldn't have bought the car if it already had a check engine light. Who knows what is wrong with it or if there is something as yet unseen wrong with it other than what was causing the check engine light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do not believe this? My check engine light has been coming on since June. They clear the code, they tell me it is the gas. Finally they have had it for two weeks the car was causing a carbon build up on the fuel injectors. they showed me the photos and it was bad for a brand new car. i did everything the book says, 87-90 octane, put Techron in every 6 months, picked up the car and 8 miles later the check engine light is back on! I am heading to attorney general today.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The manual says to use "TOP TIER detergent gasoline" and refers the reader to www.toptiergas.com. It also says that if you can't use that kind of gas, then you should introduce an additive every 7500 miles or at every oil change. But I'm not sure that using Techron every six months qualifies as "an additive" for the second option (using Techron all the time would probably satisfy the first option though).

My brother works for a GM dealer and tells me that they often advise customers who complain about minor engine problems to put a tankful of Chevron through the engine before they come in for service. I've noticed that when my (older) Honda CRV starts to sputter, that a tank of Chevron gas makes a huge difference. But the rest of the time, I'm usually putting discount gas in it.

Andi Fischer Herrmann: have you considered some of the alternatives to contacting your AG? You could probably post a complaint on the NHTSA web site. It probably won't solve your problem, but it might give you some leverage, particularly if you can describe it as a safety issue (which it probably will be eventually if the injectors are crudding up). But I wonder if your AG might want you to contact Kia directly and give them a chance to resolve the issue before the AG would consider getting involved.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I need to amend my previous comments to Andi. If you're putting a bottle of Techron additive in your tank every six months, then I misunderstood your comment (I originally thought you were putting a tankful of Chevron gas with Techron in once every six months). My impression is that putting a bottle of Techron additive in your tank once ever six months probably satisfies the requirements stated in the manual (depending on how many miles you log in that six month period).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Do not believe this? My check engine light has been coming on since June. They clear the code, they tell me it is the gas. Finally they have had it for two weeks the car was causing a carbon build up on the fuel injectors. they showed me the photos and it was bad for a brand new car. i did everything the book says, 87-90 octane, put Techron in every 6 months, picked up the car and 8 miles later the check engine light is back on! I am heading to attorney general today.
This is kind of a long shot, but you might want to encourage the dealer to evaluate your car for Kia TSB PS554. The description for that TSB indicates that the problem can have multiple symptoms, including an EGR problem. An EGR problem could, conceivably, cause carbon build up on fuel injectors. One of the other possible symptoms is described as "improper A/C system operation". Have you had any problems with the air conditioning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts