Kia Niro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Makes you wonder???? I can't recall hearing about the HV battery going bad so soon, but who knows, nothing is perfect. But it also makes me wonder if relays ect, that's associated with the battery pack might be bad and they decided to just replace the whole thing and be done with it.
One of the error codes indicates High voltage isolation fault (short) and the other says battery bank B voltage low, so when the two codes appear together, it seems like internal battery short on bank B.
My question is why did it require Kia 8 weeks to come to that conclusion, and why did they spend the money on the Power control unit.

·
Registered
940 Posts
One of the error codes indicates High voltage isolation fault (short) and the other says battery bank B voltage low, so when the two codes appear together, it seems like internal battery short on bank B.
My question is why did it require Kia 8 weeks to come to that conclusion, and why did they spend the money on the Power control unit.
Well......Big company caught under the weight of their big burockocy (sorry about the spelling, guess it's not even close enough for the spell check)

·
Registered
2022 LXS
22 Posts
Some years ago had a new truck that spent more time in the dealer's shop than in my garage. They billed the mfgr for many fixes that did not solve the vibration problem. I started to exercise the lemon law and that got the attention of the regional manager. I became convinced that they were milking it for all it was worth which proved to be true when it turned out to be a slipped belt in one of the tires. When I pointed out to the regional manager that the dealer told me they had put a new set on and the issue remained that he should look into the dealers warranty repair history.

Not saying that's what is happening here but it sure wouldn't surprise me if it was.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, so this whole saga gets even worse if you can believe that. Today the Kia Lemon Law person called me, and during the call I found out that they have been sending emails to the wrong address the whole time, which is why I have had zero communication from them, apart from the first phone call, and today.
When I look back to the original email that I got when I opened the case with customer service, The email was TO: not my address, and my correct address was CC: on the message. Which is why I got that first email, and none since.

The Kia Lemon law person has been trying to call the Kia Dealership the car is at for over a week, and the service manager is blowing them off too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
It's literally a case of Kia and the dealership pointing fingers at each other....

I had a sit down with the dealership general manager and the service manager, at which I informed them of the emails I had sent the service manager with no response, and the in person visits at which I was promised a call back. That was when I figured out their website has invalid emails for the entire staff. They changed their email domain and never updated the website. Communications at this dealership are a complete joke.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Kia came back to me today with an offer letter to buy my car back, or they will pay me $3,000 and I keep my car.
Not sure what to think of this at the moment. Looking around at local dealerships, there isn't much choice for EV at the moment.
Chevrolet has a bunch of Bolts on discount nearby, but I have a deep distrust of GM that goes back a long ways.

Any Bolt owners on here with perspective?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Will the figure that they buy your car back be enough to cover all the money you spent on it and your misc. expenses? Is your car serviceable at this point?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Will the figure that they buy your car back be enough to cover all the money you spent on it and your misc. expenses? Is your car serviceable at this point?
My niro is still at the dealership where it has been since April 4th. They still haven't repaired it. Once I filed the notification to Kia and the State Attorney Generals office, it sort of kicked off a process, which is kind of accelerated accounting to the fact they already have the car in for repair.

The problem has been lack of communication. I called the case manager back and they admitted they can slide the date back until this repair attempt is completed, so I have a bit more time on my hands if needed.

I had issues with my original lemon law lawyer wanting way more money than his services could possibly be worth. Now that I have an offer letter in hand, I have reached out to a more local firm to get their input on the situation. If involving a lawyer can't yield a significantly better offer from Kia, I will just do the buyback and get a Bolt EUV Premier.
Kia is offering to pay off the loan, there won't be cash on top of that due to the amount of miles I used (13,200 miles) costs about the same as the payments I have already made, so it's basically a wash and wipes the loan out, but no cash on top.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
So, seeking out local Chevy Bolt EUV and EV at dealerships has been a real eye opener.
Chevy has $6,300 rebate on EUV, and 5,200 rebate on EV, but every single local chevy dealer with any vehicles on the lot, or inbound have managed to make sure their "market adjustment" eats every penny of that, and more.
Hyundai / Kia both have these market adjustments on the extremely limited supply of vehicles from local dealers as well.

·
Registered
2019 White PHEV EX Prem, Mich Premier AS tires, LED BU lights, window visors 2022 Subaru OB Touring
519 Posts
While each has pros & cons, the Bolt, Kona, & Niro are pretty evenly matched overall but thanks to the battery issues, you can't beat the price for Bolt at this time.

In the current market if I needed a car in the next couple of months I'd be tempted to put money down on both a Bolt, a Kona, & a Niro & see which one arrived 1st!

The other option is to buy a Bolt that hasn't had its battery swapped yet. There are a number of them fairly nicely discounted sitting on lots out there (at least in the Seattle market) then wait for Chevy to put in the new battery which probably wouldn't take more than a month or two.

Last option is to do a nationwide search and find one priced right, then fly there to get it & drive it back (or ship it for < $1,000 - at least back in the ol days).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like I am good to go on a new 2022 Ghost Grey Bolt EUV Premier with sun and sound package (didn't really want that)
I went round and round with several local dealers, boy the pricing shenanigans these days are crazy, But I was able to wrangle a deal where they let me have the$6,300 rebate, but they packed on a $2995.00 "care package" which I was able to eliminate with $3,000 GM employee rebate. My out the door will be under 38k. This is a HUGE victory considering none of the other local dealers were willing to let a car out the door for under 45k which to me was borderline fraud on their part.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Glad your happy with the results. Keep us posted. Buying cars now is crazy. My son found a dealer in Harrisburg, Pa. that sold him a Sorrento hybrid for msrp. He just had to wait a few weeks for the ship to come in LOL.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I spoke with the Kia rep again last night, I have signed the docs and sent them back in email, so the process is officially kicked off now.
They indicated the entire process could take 60 to 90 days. That means the old loan won't be fully paid for until possibly September.

This complicates things a little bit for me.
Getting a replacement vehicle is certainly not a sure thing in this market. I have a 22 Bolt EUV lined up, with a possible delivery next week. If I do that, I will likely have to make 2 car payments in August and possibly September.
Now, the Kia payments I will get back in the form of a check once the buyback process is completed.
The next stumbling block would be if they "complete" the repair at the Kia dealership. Since I will have a new car, that means I will change insurance and move the tag to my new vehicle. That would pose a problem, because then the Kia is technically uninsured while sitting at the dealership.

·
Registered
940 Posts
This certainly shows Kia to be a "Not customer friendly" company. Once they got to the point of admitting their product (car) was defective I don't understand why they just simply didn't give you another new car and keep their customer happy. The Infinity dealer I worked for did that 2 or 3 times while I worked there. They replaced the customer car before it got to the lemon law process.

Reactions: Dovidan

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This certainly shows Kia to be a "Not customer friendly" company. Once they got to the point of admitting their product (car) was defective I don't understand why they just simply didn't give you another new car and keep their customer happy. The Infinity dealer I worked for did that 2 or 3 times while I worked there. They replaced the customer car before it got to the lemon law process.
In all honesty, look at the dealer inventory around the Florida region for Niro PHEV, There are none to be had. Doing the buy back is better for me, I was tired already of PHEV recharging during the day anyways.

It sucks it turned out this way, but I will likely be happier in the long run with the BEV instead of a hybrid.
It does outline the sheer incompetence of the dealer service department, and poor communications skills of some of the front line Kia customer service staff. There is just no excuse for the dealer and techline to be waiting for the other to reach out, while pointing fingers at each other.

Even before I bought my vehicle, I knew the dealer was a pack of greedy dirtbags anyways. I have seen how they treated some of their other service customers and it's not a good look.I will eventually reveal the dealership identity once things are finalized so that others can steer clear of them.

Also, there is another Kia dealer in Orlando, however they are just as bad as any other when it comes to greedy market adjustments and questionable items on their sales contracts.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts