Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I just got my Niro back from getting all leather seats put in. I have dogs and want to be able to wipe off any water or mud. What kind of cleaner do y'all recommend for wiping and conditioning leather seats? What about dashboard, etc? Do you use wipes or a spray on kind? I've never had a NEW new car (had a lot of OLD new cars tho), and I want to get in the habit of keeping everything clean.

On that note, I am looking for a vacuum that plugs in the lighter jack. I saw a lot of reviews online of various models...but hard to compare apples to apples. I want one with a lot of suction(obviously) and crevice attachments that are easy to use. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
First thing.. stay away from Armorall.

There are a lot of products you can use, but my favorite products to use are Lexol leather cleaner and their conditioner.

But for easier to get products, I would go with Meguiars gold class leather cleaner and conditioner. All in one spray and it does a good job. If the seats get really dirty, get a very mild all purpose cleaner and wipe it down first and then apply the Meguiars.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Armor All typically got a bad name a long time ago. Things may have changed but I just stay away from it. The high shine which is just far from a natural look is off-putting to say the least, and it makes leather feel slick, which again, is not natural and definitely not supple like it should be.

To my knowledge it was silicone based or something along those lines which would also clog pores of leather thus making them dry out over time and have this horrendous residue along with allowing dust and dirt to stick and buildup on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...the cover is interesting, but....does it go down to the floor, or just stay suspended? Also, how hard is it to install/remove when you have passengers? And is it one size fits all? Doesn't seem to have different sizes/car brands to choose from...?
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know about one-size-fits-all, but it's definitely one size fits mine. :) It's a hammock so it doesn't go down to the floor. It covers the gap between the rear bench and the back of the front seats. Removal is just a matter of unclipping the clasps at the headrests and reaching in to grab the handles that keep the seat part set. It's not quite as convenient as bunching up a blanket and throwing it in the trunk, but it's not much harder. Also, there are side flaps that keep the sides of the bench seat protected, too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If you get the armor all spray odds are you might have to cut it with water, some of them are too thick and easy to get carried away with. Some detailers I know cut it to get the right finish.

Too much and surfaces will look too greasy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is a little too late, but just a word on the leather seats and their care...

The majority of “leather” seats in today’s cars are coated with a plastic layer. If you drop water on the seats and it doesn’t darken the color, then they are coated. In this case, there is no need to apply conditioner to the leather since it won’t be absorbed into the leather itself and just sit on the top of the coating. I’ve seen/heard someone say that the conditioner will permeate past the coating and get into the leather, but I’m dubious of that claim. The main thing you want to do is apply a sacrificial layer of some product that will protect the coating and layer,

I’ve seen some pros on YouTube even recommend applying a spray sealant that you would use on the paint to protect the leather from sun and dirt. I haven’t tried that yet and I still use a leather “conditioner” that smells like leather. However, it is not one of those fancy products that claims to “nourish the leather.”

·
Super Moderator
495 Posts
i have had rather good luck with 303 products for protecting the dash and vinyl areas of the car. unlike the dreaded Armour All, this stuff doesn't go on shiny, and seems to absorb into any of the softer parts. We have used it with my wifes now 13 year old Kia Sportage and the dash looks as new as the day we got it. Some great stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts