Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: 2023 Niro EV

It seems to take a long time for the car heating system to heat up (if I have not pre-heated/warmed it up). I'm not sure why, but I realized today while driving that even though the temperature was set to 72F/20C, the car was cold for nearly 30 minutes. I don't know if I-Pedal makes a difference, but after I turned it off, heating started working (really well!) - this might have been a complete coincidence, though.

Anyone else having issues heating up the car? Does the climate control heat depend on regenerative braking for any reason? This was not the case for the Tesla, and I don't think it should be, but again - heating started working after I disabled I-Pedal and had to brake while taking an exit.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Mine heats super fast, even in "ECO". Regen in Auto, Manual, iPedal, or just using the paddle switches seems to make no difference.

Update on what you figure out.

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( I've even turned off ECO mode because of this. Any chance you could post screenshots or pictures of your climate settings, please?
I am planning to reset the software and see if it works. Also planning to see if there are any software updates that I need to complete.

· Registered
221 Posts
'22 Niro EV EX here. In full defog mode on my car, the car interior heats up very quickly and stays too hot. I use that mode to quickly warm up the cabin on a cold day, and then shut off the full defog and use heat, with defog+under-dash heat setting.

It was very difficult for me to control the cabin temp, however. Took it back to the dealer and they found a humidity sensor that was defective. Now that defog+heat mode seems better after 1 day testing. Will need some more time to be sure.

Meanwhile, the windshield interior was staying foggy for too long, and I used an old trick for that (and yes it REALLY works when this happens). Take a wet paper towel; add a drop or so of (sink) dishwashing detergent, like Dawn, to the towel and wipe down the windshield inside. Then take dry towel (paper or cloth) and wipe as dry as possible. Wait a couple of minutes for the windshield to clear. Surprisingly effective on any car.

· Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
1,217 Posts
Meanwhile, the windshield interior was staying foggy for too long, and I used an old trick for that (and yes it REALLY works when this happens). Take a wet paper towel; add a drop or so of (sink) dishwashing detergent, like Dawn, to the towel and wipe down the windshield inside. Then take dry towel (paper or cloth) and wipe as dry as possible. Wait a couple of minutes for the windshield to clear. Surprisingly effective on any car.
That is exactly what I do with my hockey helmet visor to prevent fogging.
My only caution would be to use a soft cloth, not paper towel as the paper is abrasive and can cause very light scratching.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
:( I've even turned off ECO mode because of this. Any chance you could post screenshots or pictures of your climate settings, please?
I am planning to reset the software and see if it works. Also planning to see if there are any software updates that I need to complete.
You might have an issue. Also, I'm not sure the latest update will affect the climate system. You have to check to see if you need one. Also, if your car is brand new and you're signed up at Kia Connect, you will get over the air updates.

Mine heats fast. I have been playing with the climate control lately as I try to learn the heat pump system to maximize my range.

In Auto, it seems to heat the car slower because the fan seems to run slower and the air output to the vents change according to the computer. Also in auto, I noticed when I first turn it on, in my heated garage, it starts out in A/C mode then switches to HEAT.

Now I am playing with manual mode. My settings are 74 deg.--Driver only-- Floor and dash vents--Fan at 2-- Heat switch ON. It comes out hot.

· Registered
221 Posts
That is exactly what I do with my hockey helmet visor to prevent fogging.
My only caution would be to use a soft cloth, not paper towel as the paper is abrasive and can cause very light scratching.
Got that. Windshield glass + soft paper towels just might be more resistant to light scratching than a plastic visor, but it's not bad advice.

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might have an issue. Also, I'm not sure the latest update will affect the climate system. You have to check to see if you need one. Also, if your car is brand new and you're signed up at Kia Connect, you will get over the air updates.

Mine heats fast. I have been playing with the climate control lately as I try to learn the heat pump system to maximize my range.

In Auto, it seems to heat the car slower because the fan seems to run slower and the air output to the vents change according to the computer. Also in auto, I noticed when I first turn it on, in my heated garage, it starts out in A/C mode then switches to HEAT.

Now I am playing with manual mode. My settings are 74 deg.--Driver only-- Floor and dash vents--Fan at 2-- Heat switch ON. It comes out hot.
I do have Kia Connect and it is new, so I'm guessing I do get the updates then.
I did try a manual heat cycle instead of leaving it to auto, upped the temperature to 75. It worked once. Will try again today.

· Registered
221 Posts
I would guess that if the AC light is on in the winter and the thermostat is set to warm the car, it probably makes no difference, as the AC would just be acting as a heat pump. This is assuming that when the AC light is off and the heat is on, the heat pump equipment still works as it's designed to. BTW in winter it helps me to select "recirculate" so as to limit how much cold outside air cools the car interior. On my '22 Niro EV, you can't select recirculate when full defog is on, but it's probably on recirculate by default - I can't prove any of this.

· Registered
16 Posts
I have noticed a few odd things with our Niro too. If you have Driver Only selected the climate control system seems to be a bit dumb if left in auto mode. It is important to say only when the system is in auto mode will it switch between HEAT (PTC) and A/C - so if you had A/C on previously, or alternatively switched it off manually it does not matter what temp your request it will not activate heat or a/c unless in auto mode (or unless you go into the climate control screen and switch on).

Whilst I think it is 'nice' that you can effectively just have outside air through the vents it would perhaps have been better if it was more obvious.

A workaround is to not have drive only mode on, or to manually select to have air from the face and/or feet - this seems to engage the heater. Most of this has been trial and error, by going into the EV monitoring screen and noticing that no power was being consumed for climate. Weirdly once the car has warmed up you can engage driver only mode and it works as expected. YMMV - my 2023 car isn't fitted with a heat pump btw.

· Registered
221 Posts
Still not thrilled with the thermostat when using the heat. Sometimes it blows warm air at 68 degrees and sometimes I need to turn it up. As noted previously, full Defog mode heats up the car VERY quickly and I then switch to heat+defog mode.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
I have noticed a few odd things with our Niro too. If you have Driver Only selected the climate control system seems to be a bit dumb if left in auto mode. It is important to say only when the system is in auto mode will it switch between HEAT (PTC) and A/C - so if you had A/C on previously, or alternatively switched it off manually it does not matter what temp your request it will not activate heat or a/c unless in auto mode (or unless you go into the climate control screen and switch on).

Whilst I think it is 'nice' that you can effectively just have outside air through the vents it would perhaps have been better if it was more obvious.

A workaround is to not have drive only mode on, or to manually select to have air from the face and/or feet - this seems to engage the heater. Most of this has been trial and error, by going into the EV monitoring screen and noticing that no power was being consumed for climate. Weirdly once the car has warmed up you can engage driver only mode and it works as expected. YMMV - my 2023 car isn't fitted with a heat pump btw.
Actually, the car is trying to do what you are asking of it. The '23 has a very thought out climate system that is configurable in manual, or set it and forget it, in automatic.

On my PHEV (another brand), it does not have such an adjustable manual system. It's either off or on. The Kia has so many variables. Add the new, innovative heat pump to the system, and the variable only increase. I think that is what confuses a lot of people.

You got to keep experimenting as you learn the system. Kia made it so you can either maximize range, or maximize comfort. Or a combination of both.

· Registered
2023 Kia Niro EV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took mine in to the dealer.

It’s been very cold in Kansas City for the past couple of days. I turned my temperature up to 80F/25C and it still kept blowing cold air. Setting it to automatic did not help at all. Setting it to recirculating didn’t help either.. I had to eventually just turn everything off and set it to recirculate to stop cold air from coming in or blowing out of the vents.

I had already been driving for 20 minutes when I got to the dealer, btw, so it wasn’t a matter of time.

I’ll post back what they say, even if they say it’s working as designed (doesn’t seem right but who knows).

· Registered
16 Posts
Actually, the car is trying to do what you are asking of it. The '23 has a very thought out climate system that is configurable in manual, or set it and forget it, in automatic.

On my PHEV (another brand), it does not have such an adjustable manual system. It's either off or on. The Kia has so many variables. Add the new, innovative heat pump to the system, and the variable only increase. I think that is what confuses a lot of people.

You got to keep experimenting as you learn the system. Kia made it so you can either maximize range, or maximize comfort. Or a combination of both.
Thanks Dave - it may be the case it was well thought out but it is clearly in need of some improvement. Whilst there is always a chance my specific car may have a fault I believe if one exists it it within the software. On a cold 10C day if you set the temp to 19C driver only automatic it will just blow cold air, the climate energy monitor makes it apparent there is no PTC running. If at this point you select face vents the PTC kicks in and slowly ramps up energy consumption - however if instead you turn off driver only, the PTC will activate on auto mode. There are times when the driver side vents blow cooler air and the passenger centre vent blow hot despite the climate being in sync (19.5C), and no - the driver is not on fire. It just seems a bit dim witted. I have experimented with ensuring that eco climate is not on etc and the only thing that seems to work with consistency in the winter is to ensure driver only is not switched on until the cabin is warmed up and then activate driver only for a 50% energy saving. The car also seems to in auto mode only be able to switch from heat to a/c - sometimes both if driver only is not on. You would have thought it would blend just outside air when trying to get the cabin warm. As mentioned before, there is the odd time that the heat function turns off and with A/C running it seems to generate warmish air - initially I doubled checked to make sure the car didn't have a heat pump, which it doesn't. After having BMW and Toyota they all have their own little quirks but Kia is the most bizarre and unpredictable. On a long four hour journey with 'climate' control you should not go from cold -> hot -> cold when driving. Hopefully all this (and zombie mode) will get resolved with some updates.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
I took mine in to the dealer.

It’s been very cold in Kansas City for the past couple of days. I turned my temperature up to 80F/25C and it still kept blowing cold air. Setting it to automatic did not help at all. Setting it to recirculating didn’t help either.. I had to eventually just turn everything off and set it to recirculate to stop cold air from coming in or blowing out of the vents.

I had already been driving for 20 minutes when I got to the dealer, btw, so it wasn’t a matter of time.

I’ll post back what they say, even if they say it’s working as designed (doesn’t seem right but who knows).
Sounds like you have a problem. Post back any updates.

· Registered
2023 Niro EV Wave
80 Posts
Thanks Dave - it may be the case it was well thought out but it is clearly in need of some improvement. Whilst there is always a chance my specific car may have a fault I believe if one exists it it within the software. On a cold 10C day if you set the temp to 19C driver only automatic it will just blow cold air, the climate energy monitor makes it apparent there is no PTC running. If at this point you select face vents the PTC kicks in and slowly ramps up energy consumption - however if instead you turn off driver only, the PTC will activate on auto mode. There are times when the driver side vents blow cooler air and the passenger centre vent blow hot despite the climate being in sync (19.5C), and no - the driver is not on fire. It just seems a bit dim witted. I have experimented with ensuring that eco climate is not on etc and the only thing that seems to work with consistency in the winter is to ensure driver only is not switched on until the cabin is warmed up and then activate driver only for a 50% energy saving. The car also seems to in auto mode only be able to switch from heat to a/c - sometimes both if driver only is not on. You would have thought it would blend just outside air when trying to get the cabin warm. As mentioned before, there is the odd time that the heat function turns off and with A/C running it seems to generate warmish air - initially I doubled checked to make sure the car didn't have a heat pump, which it doesn't. After having BMW and Toyota they all have their own little quirks but Kia is the most bizarre and unpredictable. On a long four hour journey with 'climate' control you should not go from cold -> hot -> cold when driving. Hopefully all this (and zombie mode) will get resolved with some updates.
I wish I could help. You seem like me. Experimenting. But maybe you are watching the lights on the controls too much.

Do you have your buttons default to the radio or the climate buttons? Or do you switch back and forth?

I have questions about your car without the heat pump. I might post a thread soon. Maybe you could help answer some questions I have about heat pump vs. no heat pump.

When I watch my controls and lights jump back and forth from Heat to A/C, the only thing I could figure out was that it was trying to dehumidify the air in the car to prevent window fogging. That was only in Automatic. I think if you switch to Driver Only, it takes it out of Auto, and goes to Manual.

I have had both the BMW and Toyota systems also. And unlike you, I think the Kia has been the most configurable. It will allow you to do what you want to do. It's very adaptable in manual and has so many variable settings. In Automatic, so far for me, it has been seamless and perfect operation, just as long as you don't watch the lights too much !!

I'm still trying to figure all this out to maximize range and still keep warm. Todays test was at 20F (-6C) and I saw no switching back and forth from Heat to A/C, and I saw a big drop in range as the PTC heater was running full time.

· Registered
2023 Niro PHEV SX Touring + cold weather package
17 Posts
I had an odd experience like this just last night. My scenario was: 60-70 mph, highway driving. I changed heat to driver only and face and feet vents. The car was running on EV mode (this is a 2023 PHEV). The cabin quickly got cold. I couldn't really tell if it was blowing cold air or just off. It was probably about 35F outside. I poked at the settings and it seemed when I switched back to sync for both zones and back to auto mode it warmed up again. Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what my settings were, but the cabin did get cold and I'm pretty sure I didn't turn the heat off or call for AC.

I'll keep an eye on this tread and post my experiences if I run into this again.

· Registered
16 Posts
I wish I could help. You seem like me. Experimenting. But maybe you are watching the lights on the controls too much.

Do you have your buttons default to the radio or the climate buttons? Or do you switch back and forth?

I have questions about your car without the heat pump. I might post a thread soon. Maybe you could help answer some questions I have about heat pump vs. no heat pump.

When I watch my controls and lights jump back and forth from Heat to A/C, the only thing I could figure out was that it was trying to dehumidify the air in the car to prevent window fogging. That was only in Automatic. I think if you switch to Driver Only, it takes it out of Auto, and goes to Manual.

I have had both the BMW and Toyota systems also. And unlike you, I think the Kia has been the most configurable. It will allow you to do what you want to do. It's very adaptable in manual and has so many variable settings. In Automatic, so far for me, it has been seamless and perfect operation, just as long as you don't watch the lights too much !!

I'm still trying to figure all this out to maximize range and still keep warm. Todays test was at 20F (-6C) and I saw no switching back and forth from Heat to A/C, and I saw a big drop in range as the PTC heater was running full time.
Experimenting more out of frustration tbh - as for the lights that is more to just try and figure why it is failing to work.

As for the display, probably a mixture of both - are you suggesting being able to see or notice the display impacts the system?

I will try and answer where I can regarding not having a heat pump but I believe the operation should be the same, the difference is how the car attempts to provide heat. Driver mode, this does not change the AUTO climate setting other than only focusing on the driver vents and not pushing air to the passenger side or rear - or at least that is what it is supposed to do.

I hear clearly what you say about configurable and that may be appealing to some people, but what most if not all would expect was when the car is in AUTO climate mode the only interaction should be the selection of the desired ambient temp. Kia is good in that it offers three levels of AUTO intensity but there is little point unless the system at a basic level actually works and comfortably manages the airflow etc. I have tried toggling the auto dehumidify and it does not appear to impact on this issue to me, in essence I don't think on a trip that is over say ten minutes there is any excuse to feel cold in a car with a climate control system set to warm the car. Just to reiterate, this only seems to be apparent if DRIVER only is selected - whilst in driver and passenger mode I still feel the jackal and Hyde hot to cold switching is somewhat clumsy, this might just be a personal preference and there are many who may say that is they prefer it that way.

Being customisable does not imply competence or perfection, if the brakes were customisable but in the default mode ABS did not perform as expected and people lost steering control it would still be a serious failing (note KIA, this is not a feature request!).

I miss on the E46 how there was a separate temp wheel in the centre of the dash for the face vents that was independent of the climate system - simple but great. On the Toyota prius the system just simply worked, nothing exciting or noteworthy - which in my mind is exactly how these systems should be able to operate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts