Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Niro Touring. I recently started hearing a clunking / spring-like mechanical noise when I brake from 30 to 20 mph. I took it to the dealer for a warranty inspection. The dealer was concerned enough to contact Kia Techline. However, the response was a generic "Normal noise for regenerative braking" note. The dealer replicated my concern, but claimed it was similar to other vehicles.

Any insight?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2019 Niro Touring. I recently started hearing a clunking / spring-like mechanical noise when I brake from 30 to 20 mph. I took it to the dealer for a warranty inspection. The dealer was concerned enough to contact Kia Techline. However, the response was a generic "Normal noise for regenerative braking" note. The dealer replicated my concern, but claimed it was similar to other vehicles. Any insight?
If you have a few hundred miles on your car & that noise wasn't present previously, it hardly seems like it would be "normal".
I'd ask to drive a similar new car on the lot with the dealer to see if you both hear a similar noise. Honestly, since the Niro is not a huge seller, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of folks at dealerships don't have much or any seat time in one or several to be able to compare. >:)

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've never heard that noise. However there are a number of reports about a year ago of brakes not releasing fully. So the sound you hear could actually be the sound of the brake releasing as you approach blended mechanical and motor braking and the hydraulic fluid gives the mechanical brakes a nudge. The brakes are of the non-contact full release high efficiency hydraulic brake variety, unlike normal hydraulics that depend on a bit of contact for auto adjustment of clearance. Known problem and the fix is apparently just replacing the retraction spring.

Or it could be something else! But normal it is not.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's a TSB out right now for the brakes, but I do not believe it remedies a clunking sound.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2019/KIA/NIRO%252520HYBRID/SUV/FWD#manufacturerCommunications
NHTSA ID Number: 10164294

Manufacturer Communication Number: TSBCHA098_R1

Summary

TSBCHA098_R1: IBAU SYSTEM REPAIR FOR NOISE AND AIR BLEEDING - This bulletin has been revised to include additional information. This bulletin provides the repair procedure for the Integrated Brake Actuation Unit (iBAU) system on some 2014-2019MY EV/Hybrid/Plug-In Hybrid vehicles listed (see table), which may exhibit a "Honking" (Hissing) noise due to air remaining in the brake fluid system.

If you continue to hear it, I would try a different dealer too. There's some degree of mechanic quality variability between dealership to dealership. One may not be able to diagnose it while another may be able to because they've seen or heard it before. ALWAYS get a second opinion!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts