Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i’m looking at settings for my 2022 EV and under vehicle, there’s one for coast energy regeneration and it can be level 1,2 or 3. Does anyone know what happens at different levels and why you would want one over the other? Eco mode was already set to level two and I’m wondering why it wouldn’t be set to level three or one.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Try it and see! Strictly a user preference. The higher the level, the more deceleration (faster slowing) when you take your foot off the accelerator. Some owners like the feel of slowing similar to a standard automatic, others like "one pedal" driving. Some switch it up to slow faster without touching the brake pedal when you have time.

In fact, I use cruise control similarly, dropping the speed on the way to a stop rather than use the brake pedal. No harm in using the brake pedal, same regen deceleration as using the paddles. I don't have paddles, but it is fun to drive with legs relaxed after 40 years of rowing a manual transmission. Also, the brake pedal always triggers brake lights, even with very slight slowing. I prefer to mimic the slowing of a manual transmission car by turning the CC down slowly.

·
Registered
Niro HEV, 2020, Dynamic Link, UVO, EPB, 10"-AVN, Navi
150 Posts
As far as I know, only in level 3 the break lights go on ...

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
2,002 Posts
My PHEV didn't have different levels of regen (one size fits all!), but the brake lights did come on with regen. I can't say at what level of regen the lights come on, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i’m looking at settings for my 2022 EV and under vehicle, there’s one for coast energy regeneration and it can be level 1,2 or 3. Does anyone know what happens at different levels and why you would want one over the other? Eco mode was already set to level two and I’m wondering why it wouldn’t be set to level three or one.
You can change the default setting for each drive mode. I can’t remember what the factory defaults were, but I set mine to at 2 for normal, 3 for eco, and 0 for sport. But after four months of ownership, I rarely take it out of eco. Once I got used to the heavy one-pedal /regen I have loved it.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Some of the drivers behind you may not appreciate "no brake lights" :)
Indeed. Personally, I find following manual transmission or BEV/PHEV/HEV owners much nicer for that very reason - someone flashing brake lights for no apparent reason is unpredictable. I didn't understand for years why I saw people using brakes on downhills. So duh, automatics. But I had never driven them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts