Kia Niro Forum banner
  • Welcome to the Kia Niro forum! We discuss all models of the Niro, including the Hybrid, PHEV and EV versions. We are glad you stopped by. Feel free to browse the various topics, along with out FAQs. To enable posting, you need to register for a user account. There is no cost for this. Just click in the upper right corner where it says Login/Join. We look forward to your continued parcipitation.

Coasting Guide and Lake Keep Assist

12K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  fernando 
#1 ·
Has anybody been able to activate the "Coasting Guide". I believe only models with navigation have it. I've used the navy for directions like 10 times and not once has the coasting guide activated.

I also wanted to mention that in the USA there is lane departure warning, but I think in the EU it has lane keep assist. That's a bummer.

#4 ·
I was able to turn it on, but it has never actually activated when using the Nav. I'm trying to see if anyone has actually got it to activate itself. I know you have to be in eco mode and in between certain mph, but even still, it hasn't activated.

#5 ·
I wrote Kia USA's director of corporate communications, James Bell, and asked about the missing LKA feature on Kia in the US. Much to my surprise, I got a reply from him today. He said they expect to make it available on the Niro in the US shortly. Now does that mean retrofitable to existing Niros or must we wait for some future model year? Hopefully it will be retrofitable. I see that LKA is being advertised for the upcoming Hyundai Elantra GT coming this summer...

#6 ·
Well that's unfortunate. I would have expected the touring I bought to already have everything if they could have put it on. Maybe the 2018 version or the plug in version will have it, but I would be very surprised if the 2017 models in a couple of months start getting them unless they can be retrofitted with an update or something.

The euro version also has a headlight leveling device feature.

#7 ·
Late arriving but same question about Coasting Guide. It's set but no indication just where it is; is it on the navigation screen, an icon on the dash? I can find no videos or web pages with screen shots, just mentions in the press and it's on page 4-68 and 4-70 of the owners manual.

Re LKA. I had a similar experience with Chevy's MyLink in 2012. I bought a car with MyLink and it said it would do A, B and C. (Like Ford SYNC.) But it wasn't on my car, despite it being on the sticker. It ended up being on cars built maybe 4 or 5 months later and was not retrofittable as it required a new head unit. I got OnStar free for 4 years to make up for it. But I could understand the new head end and them fighting to put it in mine because apparently they were electrically different. LKA, can't say if it's just better software and LA is just a dumbed down version using same hardware or if it requires different hardware. Hope it's a software upgrade. As long as it uses the same dashboard graphics and visuals, that would be seem to be doable. If it needs something not already there, that might not work.

But just thinking out loud on that. Have no idea.

#8 · (Edited)
The press release said that ECO-DAS would comprise 2 technologies: a coasting coach dependent on GPS and a traction battery charging/discharging algorithm that takes into account terrain when you program a destination on GPS. It's the second feature that interests me most because it literally gives your charge system eyes to see the terrain ahead and precharge the battery, for example, as you approach a mountain pass, ration electric boost to the peak, then recharge on the way down. That would be so cool. The feature isn't avail in the EU but they've been told it's coming. This video explains operation in Korean but you don't really need to know Korean to get the gist of it:

As for LKAS, that system is already mostly in place if you have LDW. You have all the sensing software, the hardware, the ability to detect lane drift and generate analog correction signals. The main difference is that in LDW, the correction is applied to LED lights on the gauges and sound warnings. In LKAS, the correcting signal is applied to the EPS. It seems to me that LKAS might be something that's already there in US vehicles (with LDW) but software disabled (for liability reasons?). The service manual should give us more clues.

#9 ·
The coasting guide comes on in the center dash, it will say Coast or something like that. You need the GPS to have a navigation route set, but to be honest I don't think it's that advanced. It has turned on twice for me, and sometimes it doesn't even turn on in places where it has turned on previously. I now mostly use apple maps.

#11 ·
I don't have a clue what this 'coasting' thing is. Perhaps because I have an EX Model and no full NAV.

Even if I had it, might not know anything as plenty of things I don't know how to use on the EX (including the radio), so might be if I had it would not know it.

All this TECH Stuff is getting to me (old 78 yr olds might just be better off with straight shift, no power steering, windows that roll down with a crank, and no seat belts, no ABS,, No Sirius, etc ).

Talk about the good ol' day, do you remember? -- actually they were NOT so good, we jsut did not know better. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.