Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Saskatchewan, Canada where we can get -40 degrees celsius here. Any speculation on how it will react in severe cold?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sure these have gone through extensive cold weather testing considering I think they have to in order to be sold in those climates. But I can imagine a little bit of a hard start in such a cold weather, but give it ample time to circulate the oil and warm up a little bit and you should be alright.

·
Registered
104 Posts
IMO, hybrid and electric cars are not a good choice for your environment. LIPO batteries will self-discharge rapidly at subzero temps which risks bricking the battery pack through cell reversal. Battery University has good info on cold temperature limitations of various battery chemistries.

...Specialty Li-ion can operate to a temperature of –40°C but only at a reduced discharge rate; charging at this temperature is out of the question...
BU-502: Discharging at High and Low Temperatures ? Battery University

Your best bet is a conventional ICE with a block heater and a battery warmer. If your battery freezes, you're out ~$150. If your lipo battery freezes or bricks from self-discharge, you're out several thousand.

·
Registered
291 Posts
-40C is -40F That is cold, never seen such in my life. Hope I don't.
Same here since I have seen typical car starting batteries give up even in -20 weather. So -40 will do some real damage unless someone keeps a block heater. Some of that heat will maintain some level of function within the battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I live in Canada also...interior of BC. We don't get down to -40 but we can get down to -15. I'll be interested to see the battery behaviour also. KiaKrazy is right....I'm sure they have done cold weather testing and the batteries would be replaced under warranty if they give out during that time. But I seem to remember a 'Cold Weather Package' being an option. I don't know all that it includes though.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Someone I know has a block heater and some thing that wraps around the battery which I believe heats it up slightly, just enough so it remains operational. Batteries today are getting better, back when they weren't sealed it was a bigger issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is a dealer installed option, so if I need it, I can get it done later.
I'll certainly be interested to see some cold weather reports come in .... that's about 4 months away where I live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts