Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on some post about suspicion of MPG reduction after a Computer Upgrade. Not my intention to start a new topic on that, but I did not find that post.

So, thought I would start a post with that topic as Subject.

My Example on a car with 21,000 plus miles that had average (per Fuelly) of 51 MPG (maybe slightly less on a few HWY trips). I had a recall done (relay contact replaced or something) and they did a Computer Upgrade on 12-19-2018.

Then we did the following trip after a fill up on 01-03-2018 at 20,7000 miles that computed to 49MPG (some drop there from average of 51MPG).

THE TRIP:
01-04-19 at 21,112 miles for 422 miles traveled to Leland, NC area used 9.74 gallon at $2.199 at EXXON. That comes out 43.3MPG. A HWY trip at mostly 55 to 70 MPH, but that is say 4 MPG or more below any other HWY trips. NOTE: I had a recall done on 12-19-2018 and that included a computer update (???? - maybe cause of MPG drop).

01-13-19 at 21,345 miles for 223 miles travel in the Leland / Wilmington, NC area used 4.81 gallon at $1.959 at Circle K. That comes out 46.4MPG. I would say 50% city at 35 to 45 MPH and 50% HWY at 45 to 55MPH.
NOTE: A bit better than the 43.3MPG HWY trip, but still about 4 MPG below our average. NOTE: Again, I had the computer update on 12-19-2018.

01-14-19 at 21,770 miles for 425 miles traveled back to Sevierville, TN area used 9.176 miles at $1.929 at Weigel's. That comes out 46.3MPG. A HWY trip at mostly 55 to 70 MPG. That is better than the trip to Leland (43.3MPG going, 46.3 coming back, and about the same as MPG on local driving while there).
NOTE: I say again things seem to be 3 or 4 MPG less than my average of 51 MPG for 20,000 some miles and had the computer upgrade on 12-19-2018.

It is a EX Model with the option that includes the Sunroof purchased in Feb 2017.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is your “real time” onboard computer in sync with your actual mpg numbers (assuming you’re still using Fuelly)? Or 2-3 mpg higher as many of us experience. I’d like to see that fixed tho I don’t think it’s a Kia only problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Those figures are roughly in-line with what I'm getting in my PHEV. I seem to get 42-46 mpg typically (when I don't plug the car in, of course). I should have the most recent computer upgrade, as my dealer says everything is up-to-date as of 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is your “real time” onboard computer in sync with your actual mpg numbers (assuming you’re still using Fuelly)? Or 2-3 mpg higher as many of us experience. I’d like to see that fixed tho I don’t think it’s a Kia only problem.
Computer MPG is higher ( couple MPG ) than hand calculated MPG (actual miles divided by gallon).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those figures are roughly in-line with what I'm getting in my PHEV. I seem to get 42-46 mpg typically (when I don't plug the car in, of course). I should have the most recent computer upgrade, as my dealer says everything is up-to-date as of 2 weeks ago.
I have no idea if PHEV computer upgrades are same as regular Hybrid. So, don't know that will have an affect on your PHEV.

It just bugged me that I got into the mid 40s MPG on this trip when my over all average for some 20,000 miles has been 51 MPG and about the worst I ever saw was 49 MPG.

I am talking actual MPG (miles driven divided by gallons) not the car computed mileage.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're kidding right? That's barely a flutter. Any small little difference could cause way more variation than what you've described. Things that all by themselves that would cause that tiny variation....
1. Tire pressure.
2. Outdoor temp.
3. Differences in speed...even subtle ones.
4. Differences in wind speed and direction. (I got 20% better mileage coming home today from work than going to work).
5. Small differences in the weight of the vehicle. Passengers, junk in the trunk, groceries, etc.
6. Different grades of gas.
7. Different gas stations/brands even with same grade.

Driving the exact same road every day to work and back, I see a 10 mpg window. i.e. average +/- 5 mpg. Which is totally normal.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Agreed, mostly. Wind (and road speed), altitude delta, temperature are the biggest variables. Smaller ones are seasonal formulations of gas. Grades of gas? Doubtful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have read on some post about suspicion of MPG reduction after a Computer Upgrade. Not my intention to start a new topic on that, but I did not find that post.

My Example on a car with 21,000 plus miles that had average (per Fuelly) of 51 MPG (maybe slightly less on a few HWY trips). I had a recall done (relay contact replaced or something) and they did a Computer Upgrade on 12-19-2018.

Then we did the following trip after a fill up on 01-03-2018 at 20,7000 miles that computed to 49MPG (some drop there from average of 51MPG).

THE TRIP:
01-04-19 at 21,112 miles for 422 miles traveled to Leland, NC area used 9.74 gallon at $2.199 at EXXON. That comes out 43.3MPG. A HWY trip at mostly 55 to 70 MPH, but that is say 4 MPG or more below any other HWY trips. NOTE: I had a recall done on 12-19-2018 and that included a computer update (???? - maybe cause of MPG drop).

01-13-19 at 21,345 miles for 223 miles travel in the Leland / Wilmington, NC area used 4.81 gallon at $1.959 at Circle K. That comes out 46.4MPG. I would say 50% city at 35 to 45 MPH and 50% HWY at 45 to 55MPH.
NOTE: A bit better than the 43.3MPG HWY trip, but still about 4 MPG below our average. NOTE: Again, I had the computer update on 12-19-2018.

01-14-19 at 21,770 miles for 425 miles traveled back to Sevierville, TN area used 9.176 miles at $1.929 at Weigel's. That comes out 46.3MPG. A HWY trip at mostly 55 to 70 MPG. That is better than the trip to Leland (43.3MPG going, 46.3 coming back, and about the same as MPG on local driving while there).
NOTE: I say again things seem to be 3 or 4 MPG less than my average of 51 MPG for 20,000 some miles and had the computer upgrade on 12-19-2018.

It is a EX Model with the option that includes the Sunroof purchased in Feb 2017.
I have the same model you do and I posted about the software recall, SA350. I purchased the car last May. My mileage was typically over 50 until this patch was installed in October. My mileage has dropped as low as 39 but is averaging 46. The service manager told me the software patch is for battery management and could yield a 10 MPG drop. I calculate my mileage by tracking fuel used versus miles traveled. Cold weather may be impacting mileage too but I didn't realize electric/hybrid cars were so sensitive to climate. Wasn't given that warning upon purchase and don't see anything about that in the manuals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
39mpg seems low to me, assuming it wasn't just a short drive.

Even when I drive my car in a hurry to get somewhere (ie, "lead footed", and not trying to conserve gas) I still haven't ever dropped below 40mpg on any 25+ mile drive.

On shorter drives, sure, I've gotten as low as 10mpg on some drives, but that's also not unusual.

Keep in mind, also, that if you are "pre-warming" the car in the morning using remote-start or a scheduled climate control, the gas used for running the engine to warm the cabin while parked will be factored into the indicated MPG on your next drive. So if your car was pre-warmed, and then you go out to drive it within the next couple hours, your indicated MPG will be insanely low because the car used a bunch of fuel that morning to keep the engine idling while you ate breakfast.

When I start my morning commute in the winter, after the cabin has been pre-warmed, the first couple miles will show something ridiculously low like 11mpg. Then a mile later, it shows 20. A couple miles after that, it shows 30. Then a few more miles late, 40mpg, and so on.

So maybe some of you that are reporting drastic mpg losses in the winter are using the pre-warming function and not realizing the effect it has on your indicated mpg? Just a theory.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
All cars suffer from a loss of efficiency in cold weather. My ICE car was about 18% lower mpg in the winter versus summer. Hybrids have the same drop, about what you had, but the mpg drop is larger only because it started at a higher mpg number in the first place. My Niro is in the same range as my last car for winter mpg drop. Nothing to do with your software update.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last fill up was for our normal around home driving after noticing the apparent MPG drop on a trip. Appears we have had a drop in MPG. See next paragraphs.

Fill Up 02-06-19 at 22,233 for 463 miles traveled used 9.8 gallon at $1.879 at Food City with a $0.15 cent discount. That comes out 47.2 MPG.

Our Fuelly Average is dropping - it has been around 51MPG for 20,298 miles of use. I had a computer update when took car in for Pwr Relay Recall at 20,298 miles.

I noticed a drop as reported when I opened this topic on a trip (that was three fill ups on a trip of 420 miles each way and travel at destination).

Now got 47.2 MPG doing our normal at home driving. Pretty sure this all started (dropping MPG) after a computer update at 20,298 miles when I took it in for the PWR Relay Recall (they did a computer update at that time). TIME WILL TELL, but seems to have lost 3 or 4 MPG.

It was typical routes for us, mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some City (town) driving with some stops and some traffic.

It is an EX Model with the option that includes the Sunroof purchased in Feb 2017.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All cars suffer from a loss of efficiency in cold weather. My ICE car was about 18% lower mpg in the winter versus summer. Hybrids have the same drop, about what you had, but the mpg drop is larger only because it started at a higher mpg number in the first place. My Niro is in the same range as my last car for winter mpg drop. Nothing to do with your software update.
Not been cold weather, warmer than normal for East TN, and was warm on the trip to NC Coast when first noticed MPG drop (after the computer update).

Understand folks report some what lower MPG in winter. Never really saw a lot of change here (East TN).

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
You're kidding right? That's barely a flutter. Any small little difference could cause way more variation than what you've described. Things that all by themselves that would cause that tiny variation....
1. Tire pressure.
2. Outdoor temp.
3. Differences in speed...even subtle ones.
4. Differences in wind speed and direction. (I got 20% better mileage coming home today from work than going to work).
5. Small differences in the weight of the vehicle. Passengers, junk in the trunk, groceries, etc.
6. Different grades of gas.
7. Different gas stations/brands even with same grade.

Driving the exact same road every day to work and back, I see a 10 mpg window. i.e. average +/- 5 mpg. Which is totally normal.
Sorry, I consider 3 or 4 MPG drop from my average of 50+ MPG for 20,298 to be significant (6 to 8% drop).

By the way, that is calculated Miles Driven divided by Gallon = MPG normally at or near 500 mile fill ups.

Not due to insignificant things like you mention. And, you seem to be talking Car Computer Calculated MPG and not fill ups (variations on a trip to or from work). C C C MPG does not mean much on a short trip.

That said, this MPG shift is still under observation. I have had only one fill up since got back home from the trip and doing our normal driving for a fill up (47.2 MPG, a drop of say 3 to 4 MPG or 6% to 8% approximately from past history).

So, if that continues --- the Computer Upgrade they did at 20,298 miles apparently affected the MPG.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
That said, this MPG shift is still under observation. I have had only one fill up since got back home from the trip and doing our normal driving for a fill up (47.2 MPG, a drop of say 3 to 4 MPG or 6% to 8% approximately from past history).

So, if that continues --- the Computer Upgrade they did at 20,298 miles apparently affected the MPG.
Did you have your Niro last winter? That is a not unexpected drop in mpg for your temperate winter. My 20% plus drop is from mid 80's to zero degrees and is similar to every other car owned. Would be worse if I took short trips.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Another fill-up (this be the 2nd one) since I noticed the difference in MPG on the 420 mile one way trip (840 miles Round trip) to NC from TN.

Appears to be a definite MPG drop over my history as got 47.7 MPG this fill up. I blame it on the Computer Upgrade. I guess they set the ICE to come on more for battery maintenance - that is a guess on my part). Still stay open minded -- more fill ups give more data.

02-22-19 at 22,688 for 455 miles traveled used 9.536 gallon at $2.049 at Food City with a $0.15 cent discount. That comes out 47.7 MPG.

Our Fuelly Average is dropping - it has been around 51MPG for 20,298 miles of use.

I noticed a drop on the last post (three fill ups on a trip of 420 miles each way and travel at destination).

Now got 47.2 and 47.7 MPG doing our normal at home driving since the trip.

Pretty sure this all started (dropping MPG) after a computer update at 20,298 miles when I took it in for the PWR Relay Recall (they did a computer update at that time). TIME WILL TELL, but seems to have lost 3 or 4 MPG.

Last two fill-ups were typical routes for us, mostly county roads at 35 to 55 MPH and some City (town) driving with some stops and some traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts

THE TRIP:

My garage did the SW update and I did notice a couple of changes. The braking/regeneration performance is "smoother" when rolling to a slow stop, and the ICE does run a little more after a cold start. But I still got over 60mpg on the last tank of fuel (mixture of highway and in town driving) when I wasn't using headlights or heater. I do notice the calculated MPG display tends to run a little higher than what my gas log shows, and it seems to be somewhat weighted toward the more recent performance, not necessarily the whole trip since last tank fillup. Maybe that is to help encourage conservative driving.
Overall we are extremely pleased with the NIRO and have an actual gas log milage average of around 55 mpg for two years driving in northern IN including cold winter weather and short trips.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts