Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this under an old thread from someone who had the same issue in 2019, but it may get buried there and I am reposting as its own thread.

In my 2018 PHEV I have had the exact same issue multiple times- the car won’t start and displays a series of error messages starting with “check regenerative brakes,” then “key not in vehicle” even though it was, “press start button with key” (when I did this nothing happened), then a vibration of the brakes. The same series of error messages came up as I turned it off and back on, until the 3rd or 4th time when nothing in the vehicle would power on at all. I couldn’t even lock it. I was hundreds of miles from a Kia service center when it happened the first time, so instead of having it towed and stranding myself I jumped it and everything immediately came on and worked perfectly. After several drives with no problem, it happened again while I was still on my trip and I successfully jumped it again. It has only happened when I left it parked for less than 10 minutes, and I did not leave on any interior lights, etc. I was in cold weather parked on ice both times.
When I returned home I had trouble scheduling with the dealer in Seattle and I kept driving it because I needed to. No problem for weeks, then it happened again and I jumped it with plans to take it in the next day. The next day it happened again but the jump was not successful and it had to be towed to the nearest service center in Olympia, WA. They are very nice but are suggesting that the only problem was that an interior lights
was left on, and the 12V battery tests fine. I was not the driver that last time and that light may have been left on in that instance but it was definitely not the problem any of the other times. Also, it has only happened after quick stops during the day, wouldn’t have been a deep drain anyway.

Because it doesn’t happen every trip and it is not happening for them at the shop I am afraid they are going to try to send it back without addressing the core issue since they see no evidence of it. If so, I wouldn’t feel safe driving the car.

It would be VERY helpful to hear if anyone has had this issue and how it was resolved.Thank you if you are still reading! Sorry so long- don’t know how to explain this fully in a short way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Never had anything like what you are experiencing, but sorry for your trouble. I would go up the chain and get KIA (North America?) involved. It sounds like a faulty sensor or maybe computer problem, but it sounds like the dealer service dept is blowing you off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a similar series of bizarre error messages on my 2018 PHEV a few months ago. Couldn't start the car, lock the car or anything. The 12v battery was completely flat due to a current drain caused by the tailgate not being properly shut and the lamp stayed on. In your case there is definitely a problem with the 12v circuitry - either an intermittent connection some where or a faulty battery. How was the battery tested ? Was it just a voltmeter across the terminals or a deep discharge test?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! I will get more info re. battery test, it is still with the dealer. And if needed go up the chain, good idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update- the dealer said they tested the battery again and got a totally different reading showing that it is indeed defective. They have replaced it. Glad I won’t have to fight them on this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I posted this under an old thread from someone who had the same issue in 2019, but it may get buried there and I am reposting as its own thread.

In my 2018 PHEV I have had the exact same issue multiple times- the car won’t start and displays a series of error messages starting with “check regenerative brakes,” then “key not in vehicle” even though it was, “press start button with key” (when I did this nothing happened), then a vibration of the brakes. The same series of error messages came up as I turned it off and back on, until the 3rd or 4th time when nothing in the vehicle would power on at all. I couldn’t even lock it. I was hundreds of miles from a Kia service center when it happened the first time, so instead of having it towed and stranding myself I jumped it and everything immediately came on and worked perfectly. After several drives with no problem, it happened again while I was still on my trip and I successfully jumped it again. It has only happened when I left it parked for less than 10 minutes, and I did not leave on any interior lights, etc. I was in cold weather parked on ice both times.
When I returned home I had trouble scheduling with the dealer in Seattle and I kept driving it because I needed to. No problem for weeks, then it happened again and I jumped it with plans to take it in the next day. The next day it happened again but the jump was not successful and it had to be towed to the nearest service center in Olympia, WA. They are very nice but are suggesting that the only problem was that an interior lights
was left on, and the 12V battery tests fine. I was not the driver that last time and that light may have been left on in that instance but it was definitely not the problem any of the other times. Also, it has only happened after quick stops during the day, wouldn’t have been a deep drain anyway.

Because it doesn’t happen every trip and it is not happening for them at the shop I am afraid they are going to try to send it back without addressing the core issue since they see no evidence of it. If so, I wouldn’t feel safe driving the car.

It would be VERY helpful to hear if anyone has had this issue and how it was resolved.Thank you if you are still reading! Sorry so long- don’t know how to explain this fully in a short way.
I have a 2019 Kia Niro Phev EX. So I had a strange day yesterday. I hit something in the road and immediately got lights on the dash about low tire pressure. I pulled over immediately to find a huge slash in the side wall and a flat tire. I called roadside assistance and it was gonna be awhile. I sat in the car with it OFF and windows halfway down for 1.5 hrs. I had a few security guards come check on me to see if I needed anything. The car was off so I just opened the door to speak with them and thought I closed the door. Tow truck driver shows up and I get out. He wanted me to move the car up. I tried to start it and got error message “auxiliary bracking failure” stop car. The car was stopped in park??? I tried starting again and then it said “key not detected” It was in my hand. It said press the start button with the key fob. I did that and then the lights came on dash for system check and it seemed like it was going to start then everything went dead black screen, nothing worked. The tow truck driver had to pop the shift lock release to get the car into Neutral to move it and drag it up onto the flatbed. I called customer service on the Uvo app. to try and figure out why my car was dead. I googled and found some threads about the auxiliary braking error. The Uvo tech was clueless and never heard of this problem. We tried to get the trunk open to get to the 12volt battery but couldn’t get trunk to open either. Everything is dead, nothing worked. Guys from tire shop thought it might be a safety thing. They saw something like that in a Tesla. They got the battery jump box and connected it to the main battery under the hood. In seconds lights came on the dash and we got the car to start!!! We still had the Uvo rep on the phone ,she still was confused and didn’t understand what was going on with the car. Tire shop guys pulled it into garage for the night. Next day they called to tell me they fixed my tire but still had to put battery box on battery to start the car. He thought it was because my electric battery needed to be charged. I never had any problems like that it ran just fine on gas/hybrid mode. We picked up the car and it started up without having to connect the jump box!!! Drove it home and connected the the level 2 charger. After it was fully charged I started it. No issues but now I have a check engine light n the dash. Decided to try and hook a battery tester to the lil 12 volt battery in trunk. It was only at 75%. I connected a charger to it but it wouldn’t charge past 90% after an hr. Just went to check again and it starts no problem but still had check engine light. I did a diagnostic check from the media/radio screen and it said” multiple problems with the HCULDC AT SYSTEM. It asked to call roadside assistance or schedule a service appt???? I looked that up and it could be hydraulic control unit or hybrid control unit & low voltage dc converter or dc-dc converter 12v stabilizer??? I am going to call the kia dealer tomm. The hybrid mechanic in jax. Fl. Was never helpful and I am not optimistic they will know the solution. I will repost after I go. Any other info is appreciated!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2019 Kia Niro Phev EX. So I had a strange day yesterday. I hit something in the road and immediately got lights on the dash about low tire pressure. I pulled over immediately to find a huge slash in the side wall and a flat tire. I called roadside assistance and it was gonna be awhile. I sat in the car with it OFF and windows halfway down for 1.5 hrs. I had a few security guards come check on me to see if I needed anything. The car was off so I just opened the door to speak with them and thought I closed the door. Tow truck driver shows up and I get out. He wanted me to move the car up. I tried to start it and got error message “auxiliary bracking failure” stop car. The car was stopped in park??? I tried starting again and then it said “key not detected” It was in my hand. It said press the start button with the key fob. I did that and then the lights came on dash for system check and it seemed like it was going to start then everything went dead black screen, nothing worked. The tow truck driver had to pop the shift lock release to get the car into Neutral to move it and drag it up onto the flatbed. I called customer service on the Uvo app. to try and figure out why my car was dead. I googled and found some threads about the auxiliary braking error. The Uvo tech was clueless and never heard of this problem. We tried to get the trunk open to get to the 12volt battery but couldn’t get trunk to open either. Everything is dead, nothing worked. Guys from tire shop thought it might be a safety thing. They saw something like that in a Tesla. They got the battery jump box and connected it to the main battery under the hood. In seconds lights came on the dash and we got the car to start!!! We still had the Uvo rep on the phone ,she still was confused and didn’t understand what was going on with the car. Tire shop guys pulled it into garage for the night. Next day they called to tell me they fixed my tire but still had to put battery box on battery to start the car. He thought it was because my electric battery needed to be charged. I never had any problems like that it ran just fine on gas/hybrid mode. We picked up the car and it started up without having to connect the jump box!!! Drove it home and connected the the level 2 charger. After it was fully charged I started it. No issues but now I have a check engine light n the dash. Decided to try and hook a battery tester to the lil 12 volt battery in trunk. It was only at 75%. I connected a charger to it but it wouldn’t charge past 90% after an hr. Just went to check again and it starts no problem but still had check engine light. I did a diagnostic check from the media/radio screen and it said” multiple problems with the HCULDC AT SYSTEM. It asked to call roadside assistance or schedule a service appt???? I looked that up and it could be hydraulic control unit or hybrid control unit & low voltage dc converter or dc-dc converter 12v stabilizer??? I am going to call the kia dealer tomm. The hybrid mechanic in jax. Fl. Was never helpful and I am not optimistic they will know the solution. I will repost after I go. Any other info is appreciated!!!
I think you have a defective 12v battery- the dealer told me that when that battery is drained for any reason it can trigger random computer error messages. Your experience is so similar to what happened with me.The warranty fully covered replacement of the 12v battery, thank goodness. The confusion and frustration is annoying to deal with, I have never had a new car before and I splurged for it precisely to avoid situations like this. And I can pop a clutch and push start an old car, but I am totally helpless with this car computer stuff.
I had the added piece of the KIA USA computer network being down (ransomware?) so my car had to just sit at the dealer for a week because they couldn’t verify warranty or even order parts.
I hope you can get this figured out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think you have a defective 12v battery- the dealer told me that when that battery is drained for any reason it can trigger random computer error messages. Your experience is so similar to what happened with me.The warranty fully covered replacement of the 12v battery, thank goodness. The confusion and frustration is annoying to deal with, I have never had a new car before and I splurged for it precisely to avoid situations like this. And I can pop a clutch and push start an old car, but I am totally helpless with this car computer stuff.
I had the added piece of the KIA USA computer network being down (ransomware?) so my car had to just sit at the dealer for a week because they couldn’t verify warranty or even order parts.
I hope you can get this figured out!
Johnxyz,
after all that chaos happened. I called the dealer to go over it all and was nervous about driving it with the check engine light on. So I decided to chance it cause the day before it ran okay. I got dressed ready to go to the dealer...start car NO check engine light, no diagnostic issue detected. WEIRD. I took it to the dealer and they did all kinds of tests, put the computer on it. NO issues found?? They disconnected the batteries, tested them etc.. supposedly. It seems to be running fine no error messages, etc. wish me luck!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had exactly the same experience in the past soon after buying the vehicle. I called into talk with service where I purchased the vehicle and one of the techs offered a suggestion to try. But it was 2 years ago and I clearly do not remember what it was. Today I spent 2-3 hours washing and detailing the car. Full charge and plenty of fuel. has been running great. Had the doors open and when I started to put it away I got the same series starting with the regenerative breaking and ending with nothing working. Of course all the interior lights were on for 2-3 hours. The dealer suggested I tow it in 8 days from now. I think I may just try to jump it. Will post again tomorrow, it started snowing and I can wait a day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts