Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone, we're considering purchasing a new Kia Niro gas/electric hybrid. We're looking for all the data we can gather, good and bad. Would you buy another Niro? Why or why not? What year vehicle do you recommend? Specifically, why does Consumer Reports have such a negative view of the 2020 Niro? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX, Cerulean Blue
4 Posts
Greetings everyone, we're considering purchasing a new Kia Niro gas/electric hybrid. We're looking for all the data we can gather, good and bad. Would you buy another Niro? Why or why not? What year vehicle do you recommend? Specifically, why does Consumer Reports have such a negative view of the 2020 Niro? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks.
I have a 2019 niro which is 2 weeks old. I am 6' 2" and have plenty of leg room with plenty for the seat behind me. The trunk is decent and ample for my needs. I got 58.3 mpg on my first tank. Would I buy another? Absolutely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Den much appreciated. Do you mind me asking (ballpark figure) how much we should expect to pay for a new one with average accessories? Thx

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Specifically, why does Consumer Reports have such a negative view of the 2020 Niro?
If you read something, can you quote what they said? It could have been based on an owner's questionnaire as is their usual practice. I don't remember anything especially negative in their initial reviews in 2017 of the Niro and Ioniq.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2019(purchased Feb 2019) PHEV Niro, Pearl White, EX, I didn't want a sun roof or navigation I already have a phone for the nav. I would have liked to have all leather seats but you had to get all the other stuff I didn't want. The vehicle had a serious defect in PHEV/Hybrid computer in it's first 5000 miles (I drive a lot for work) And the car was inoperable. They had the vehicle for over a month though they diagnosed it rapidly, they part wasn't available. I finally had to raise a ruckus, and they disassembled a new vehicle to get the parts and system they needed to replace the part, that was on a slow boat from ? The car now has almost 27,000 miles with no other issues and is a great car for comfort, and for me, gas/electric mileage, I happen to solar electric at home and free electric where I work, so my costs of fuel and electricity are giving me a big bang for my buck. I average in real fuel (gas) costs with the free electric an equivalent of 125 miles to the gallon in my real world use. I couldn't be happier. No it doesn't have every bell and whistle I'd like, but it's definitely worth it. I am happy with my purchase. Hopefully, they will put in a slightly larger battery like the Honda Clarity to get closer to 50 miles on a charge but still maintain a gas engine. I do still need the range in my everyday driving so the all electrics are just considerations for me. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro LX, Cerulean Blue
4 Posts
Thanks, Den much appreciated. Do you mind me asking (ballpark figure) how much we should expect to pay for a new one with average accessories? Thx
You should expect to pay around $26000 out the door for a Niro LX nicely equipped. Dealers are willing to work with you now with incentives such as no interest financing and no payments for 90 days.

·
Super Moderator
1,214 Posts
Lots of variables to consider, since there are three different versions of the Niro (Hybrid, Plug-in and Electric), and different trim levels for each version. Both the plug-in and electric qualify for the federal tax credit: the EV gets the full $7500 while the PHEV is a touch over $4500. With the tax credit the PHEV is very close to the same price as the HEV. If you lease, you don't even have to worry about qualifying for the credit, as it applies to all leases.

Even though the PHEV is "only" rated at 26 EV miles (with HVAC off) I can regularly get 30 or more, even with A/C. Depending on your usual driving patterns, it is easy to go 1500 miles or more on a tank of gas. In fact, last summer I went 1600 miles and I still had more than 1/3 tank remaining. Currently, it's been more than two months since I bought gas, and I still have almost 3/4 tank remaining. And I've driven 900 miles in that time. I just wanted some fresh gas in the tank. I've had mine for just over one year, and have no regrets about getting it. Well, I probably would have gone with the EV if I had known I wasn't going cross-country temporally for my job. :D

If your budget allows, consider the top trim level. This gives you ventilated seats, which is really, really nice in warm weather, even if you don't live in Arizona or California. You also get the LED headlights, which are quite nice.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I paid 24K for my LX with tech package out the door with everything including sales tax. Not sure if it is difficult to get an LX without the tech package but if I had to do it over, I would skip that extra cost. In fact, I would just get the base for another $380 savings.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Specifically, why does Consumer Reports have such a negative view of the 2020 Niro? Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated, thanks.
I don't recall anyone or a group noting negative review on Niro. it's a great fuel saver with plenty of space for my needs/commute. I have 2019 Touring S and super happy with the MPG, agile suspension, good sound system, and overall package. I know there is zero 2020 Touring S in the country right now [ i love the new sky blue] so certain models will be close to the sticker price. if you don't care about the changes on 2020, you should be able to get a keep discount on remaining 2019.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Happy with my 2019 PHEV EX -- my experience is similar to act98092 . Had one issue at ~ 1,000 miles w "hybrid system", but in end it was not clear if it was a car defect or the loose aftermarket LED backup bulb I installed. :cautious:
Now have 5,100 miles with no more problems. Not a perfect car, but for me ticked off all the right boxes for size, utility, comfort, safety features... Since my annual mileage is fairly low, my total 5 year cost of ownership would have been less if I had gotten a VW Golf Sportwagen; but I get a warm fuzzy feeling not having to stop at a gas station for 600-1,000 miles :love:
Definitely would buy a Niro again, probably the PHEV since the cost w Fed tax credit was only a couple hundred over the hybrid model and most days we drive less than 26 miles.
Here in the USA there are a few 2019 models left with some very good deals available.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks everyone, great info
Fuel mileages on Hybrid/PHEV/EV vehicles are all affected by temps, especially cold, trip distance(absolute min 5miles and longer is better) and driving style. I have a 2018 EX with touring pack(bigger display, 18in wheels, dark gray with black rims, H K sound sys). I wish it came with vented seats and heated steering wheel. It has 8k miles now and I love it. My mileage varies by season between mid forties to 60mpg. It corners great with the low profile tires. The switches all have a rock solid feel, never vague. Seats are firm but comfortable even after sitting on them for a couple of hours. It has an all-around precision quality feel to it. I and my wife are very happy with our purchase.

·
Registered
774 Posts
A more complete list should include internal and external combustion engines.
Human powered as well. Which could be considered external or internal combustion depending on your point of view.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Human powered as well. Which could be considered external or internal combustion depending on your point of view.
I always liked the Flintstone's car. Must have lacked stability control though, since it couldn't handle all those ribs at the drive thru. :D

·
Registered
774 Posts
I always liked the Flintstone's car. Must have lacked stability control though, since it couldn't handle all those ribs at the drive thru. :D
Clearly needed some air bags for load leveling. 🤣

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Optimal temperatures for human power are very different than other forms of power. When you consider motor powered vehicles, changes in efficiency are very predictable with temperature. Not so with human power. Cold temperatures can be more efficient than hot temperatures even after adjusting clothing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts