Kia Niro Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
Hi! Any coolant recommendation(s) more specific than "ethylene glycol w/ phosphate, w/ deionized water"? Thanks!
For me, that is specific enough and I tend to use tap water as well
If you really want specific, go to the Kia dealer and purchase the stuff they use - you will pay more for it though and the distilled water will obviously cost more unless you have a distiller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So "generic" (store brand) is as good as name brand? Are they all held to a uniformly high standard of impurities? And does the ratio of phosphate to EG not matter? (If it was just EG, that'd be one thing, but if it's EG w/ P, that begs the Q of ratio.)

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
Thanks. So "generic" (store brand) is as good as name brand? Are they all held to a uniformly high standard of impurities? And does the ratio of phosphate to EG not matter? (If it was just EG, that'd be one thing, but if it's EG w/ P, that begs the Q of ratio.)
I would tend to say the store brand is as good but don't necessarily purchased the cheapest store brand.
I doubt that car manufacturers make their own coolant. They simply put their name on the container (if that is even the case) but it will be to their specs.
Get the ready mixed stuff and then you know it is deionized water as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I always would just get Prestone, but nowadays with all the different manufacturers making their specs a little different(maybe) if I wasn't sure I'd get it at the dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
I always would just get Prestone, but nowadays with all the different manufacturers making their specs a little different(maybe) if I wasn't sure I'd get it at the dealer.
At Autozone, they have the Peak antifreeze green color and it states it’s oem compatible with certain manufacturers KIA, Hyundai, Lexus, Mitsubishi etc… I’m sure Kia doesn’t make it, they probably get it from either Prestone or Peak.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
Days ago all antifreeze was the same. You could intermix any brand without a problem. That is no longer the case. Many manufacturers use a different formulation than the old standard "green" that we've used for decades. You will find some are more of an orange, and there might be other colors in use. I think they've kept blue for washer fluid, but I can't say for certain.

The important thing is that you do NOT mix different colored antifreeze in the car. I've heard of many reports that doing so causes coolant passage blocking and overall cooling problems. It can also muck up the inside of the radiator, potentially enough that it has to be replaced, or at the minimum removed and hot tanked. And even if the colors match, I would make sure the brand you purchase is compatible with what's already in the car. Check your owners manual for specifics, and if the manual isn't clear enough, talk to a dealer. Yeah, they'll want to sell you what they carry. But you should be able to find out what the product designation is.

Colorfulness Rectangle Font Parallel Technology

Reactions: 91cavgt

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
I wonder the reason for the OP's initial post?
It is rare for maintenance schedules (today) to recommend coolant flushing until vehicle has major miles on it.
I see no reason for a Niro to need a coolant flush regardless of the year it was produced.
If top-up is required because it is low, I would purchase the stuff from a Kia dealer.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro Hybrid LX
226 Posts
I wonder the reason for the OP's initial post?
It is rare for maintenance schedules (today) to recommend coolant flushing until vehicle has major miles on it.
I see no reason for a Niro to need a coolant flush regardless of the year it was produced.
If top-up is required because it is low, I would purchase the stuff from a Kia dealer.
I think the owners manual states it be done at 100k or so and then every 30k.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Be VERY careful with antifreeze!! If you put the wrong stuff in the car then at best it will mix and you will end up with mud in your cooling system and an overheated car. At worst you will end up blowing a head gasket or possibly even hydro locking the motor!

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
Be VERY careful with antifreeze!! If you put the wrong stuff in the car then at best it will mix and you will end up with mud in your cooling system and an overheated car. At worst you will end up blowing a head gasket or possibly even hydro locking the motor!
Blown head gaskets rarely cause hydro locking - generally the antifreeze is burned up via the exhaust system.
The wrong antifreeze will take a long period of time to cause a blown head gasket.
Mud...really?
Follow the manufacturer's instructions and you will be fine. Buy from the actual dealer and you can't go wrong and if something does go wrong, the warranty has to be honored.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Blown head gaskets rarely cause hydro locking - generally the antifreeze is burned up via the exhaust system.
The wrong antifreeze will take a long period of time to cause a blown head gasket.
Mud...really?
Follow the manufacturer's instructions and you will be fine. Buy from the actual dealer and you can't go wrong and if something does go wrong, the warranty has to be honored.
Yes, if 2 coolants are mixed that are not compatible with each other then they end up turning into something, that for a lack of better words, has the consistency and feel of mud.

If you continue to drive the car with a clogged cooling system, it can blow a head gasket. When you park the car, depending on where the blown head gasket is located, it can leak coolant into the combustion chambers while the car is off. While this is not super common, it does happen and is a worse case scenario, as I stated in the last post.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
Yes, if 2 coolants are mixed that are not compatible with each other then they end up turning into something, that for a lack of better words, has the consistency and feel of mud.

If you continue to drive the car with a clogged cooling system, it can blow a head gasket. When you park the car, depending on where the blown head gasket is located, it can leak coolant into the combustion chambers while the car is off. While this is not super common, it does happen and is a worse case scenario, as I stated in the last post.
From my 40 years of experience in the trade, I have not experienced that...use the stuff the manufacturer recommends!!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
For decades, the normal "green" antifreeze (usually Prestone) was the only type used/available. But I distinctly recall warnings when other types came out to not mix colors. I think it might have been the German cars that first started using different types, usually orange if I recall. Perhaps "mud" is a bit overstated, but it absolutely could make a combination that would plug up cooling passages within radiators, heater cores, and potentially even within the engine itself.

·
Registered
2019 NIRO PHEV EX
354 Posts
Interesting article if someone wants to learn all about antifreeze- they get into the differences based on color and application toward the middle of the article

"Mixing the green with the orange or orange with the blue/yellow, etc. will lead to a chemical reaction in the reservoir.
This causes the formation of brown, gelatinous sludge in the reservoir and the radiator that can completely block the cooling system over time" (quote from above article)
This is a well known phenomena among auto technicians

·
Registered
742 Posts
For decades, the normal "green" antifreeze (usually Prestone) was the only type used/available. But I distinctly recall warnings when other types came out to not mix colors. I think it might have been the German cars that first started using different types, usually orange if I recall. Perhaps "mud" is a bit overstated, but it absolutely could make a combination that would plug up cooling passages within radiators, heater cores, and potentially even within the engine itself.
I believe what your thinking about is when GM came out with their Dexcool antifreeze. I remember then alot of talk about not mixing green and orange antifreeze.

·
Registered
2020 Niro HEV EX+
365 Posts
I just checked my local auto parts store and note that I can purchase a gallon of Prestone concentrate (have to add water) and it says "for all makes, models and years" as well as "OAT, POAT, HOAT and IAT".
Then the scary part: good for 10 yrs/300,000 miles.
Price was very reasonable.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
1,938 Posts
I think they've reformulated those different coolants to be more compatible with each other. Might be possible to mix them now. But it sure wasn't the case when the first versions came out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts