Kia Niro Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Could you please tell where the cooler fan is located?

Do you mean the hybrid battery cooling fan? If so, that is located under the back seat where the hybrid battery is also located. Opening the rear driver side door, look down under the seat and you will see a small vent/grille..........it is important to never block this vent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I am thinking about cooling fan in the front of the car near the radiator. Is it available just like that or it is hidden somehow? I think that this is the reason this squeaking while starting engine or switching off engine and switching to electric.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Actually, the question is where is the electric motor of the cooling fan?
On the fan blades like a household fan. I doubt the fan comes on when the engine is running, there will be some temperature threshold trigger.

Older cars have fan belts driven off the engine so they are always on. And yes, those cars often squeal when starting up because a loose or glazed belt may slip initially. The Niro doesn't have that set up. Electric direct drive on demand, off much of the time when not needed to save energy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is the fan turning off while the combustion engine is turning off and the electric motor is turning on? I hear that noise in that case as well.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Actually I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) most electric cooling fans also come on whenever the A/C is in operation. So when you start the car if the A/C is already on the electric cooling fan will come on right away. Right? Even if the ICE is off if the A/C is on the electric cooling fan will be on. Right?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Actually I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) most electric cooling fans also come on whenever the A/C is in operation. So when you start the car if the A/C is already on the electric cooling fan will come on right away. Right? Even if the ICE is off if the A/C is on the electric cooling fan will be on. Right?
I can confirm that for the PHEV, the fan comes on in EV mode if the AC is on.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's right. Pretty much every car, whether traditional ICE, hybrid or EV with electric radiator fans will turn them on when the A/C is on. That's because it's important to have air flow through the A/C condenser in order for the system to operate correctly. This is especially true when stopped or at low speeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts